Topics

Unable to quit JAWS using Insert+F4

surendra KUMAR GUPTA

Hi all,

I hope this Email finds you all in good spirit.

My friend has recently purchased a laptop equipped with Windows10.
Since he is not that tech savvy, he wanted me to install his prefered
apps and do all the necessary settings according to his liking. I
installed JAWS and NVDA successfully; however, I was unable to perform
the Insert+F4 command to quit JAWS by any means, even when setting
keyboard layout to laptop. As I hit Caps lock+F4, JAWS speaks
"Windows+P" and opens a projection listbox with 4 options like,
"Computer only," "Extend" etc. I tried the same via an external USB
keyboard, but to no avail. Besides, Application key for bringing up a
context menu is non-functional, I can easily launch the same with
Shift+F10 though. Now, it really makes me wonder why such a strange is
happening. Your tips and tricks will be highly appreciated.

--
Regards,
Surendra Kumar Gupta

Rick Mladek

Hi Surendra,

When you alt tab to the JAWS screen/application, try alt F4 and see if you get the shut down command.

[...]

Yes, I have already tested this one and it works as expected. I just
wanted Insert+F4 command to somehow work, but no success so far.

On 4/17/19, Rick Mladek <hmladek@...> wrote:
[...]

Accessibility Testing Trainee,
QA InfoTech,
http://www.qainfotech.com – An Independent Software Testing and
Quality Assurance Company
100 Best Companies to work for in 2010 and 2011 & 50 Best Companies to
work for in 2012
Skype Id: surendrathegreat24
M: 91-8010648093

QA InfoTech is an ISO 9001:2008, CMMi Level 3, ISO 20000-1:2011 and
ISO 27001:2005 Compliant Company

Rick Mladek

Hi,

I am using latest 2019 JAWS and Windows 10. Working for me... surely must be a setting. Has all been accomplished with obtaining authorization? I am not sure if this works with laptop setting Vs desktop.

[...]

100 Best Companies to work for in 2010 and 2011 & 50 Best Companies to work for in 2012 Skype Id: surendrathegreat24
M: 91-8010648093

QA InfoTech is an ISO 9001:2008, CMMi Level 3, ISO 20000-1:2011 and ISO 27001:2005 Compliant Company

david

Hello; although you didn't say what model of computer your friend is using,
it sounds like you need to change the behavior of the function keys.

using a dell computer, you can,
1, go to desktop,
2, hold down the FNKey,
now press the escape key.
now try the keystroke insert+f4.
you can also do, FNKey+insert+f4.

The impossible is the untried, Never under estimate the power of a dream.

[...]

Hello; I forgot to mention, if you tell us which model of computer your talking about, obviously it's a laptop,
there is a function key keystroke to turn on and off certain behaviors.
example, mousepad,
volume up and down, etc.

[...]

Hi Rick and David,

Thanks for your respective responses. I'd certainly investigate on
this strange issue as per your suggestions and revert back on here if
more information is needed.

On 4/17/19, david <davidmac1957@...> wrote:
[...]

I don't know the exact model number, but he told me that he purchased
an HP laptop.

[...]

if your friend has a HP computer, I believe you'll need to have sighted help to turn off the Funtion keys.

you do this in the BIOS Setup Utility

to find out whether this is the actual reason why you can't perform the jaws keystroke, try pressing the FNKey with the insert&f4 keys. note you will need to do this with any jaws keystroke, example, getting the time, system tray, etc.

[...]

James Bentley

Are you not running Jaws from the system tray? If doing an insert/jaws key plus J doesn't put you in to the Jaws options, that is telling you that all you need to do is put Jaws in to the system tray. Then, insert/Jaws F4 will work the way you want it to.

If you can alt tab to the Jaws options menu, then go in to basics and tab to run Jaws in the system tray and check that check box.

Good luck,

James B

[...]

Van Lant, Robin

The problem is that the laptop has function keys set to be media keys by default. So, you need to press the FN key with the JAWS key and F4. I do this on my personal laptop.

[...]

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114
send an e-mail to mailto:DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the
SUBJECT line.

Not sure if the function keys acting as media keys is the problem since the original poster said Shift + F10 works to bring up the context menu. If the function keys didn't work, then it should be necessary to also press FN + Shift + f10. Anyhow, it's easy to try this, just press FN + Jaws Key + F4 and see if that works, if it does then the issue is definitely in the function keys.

[...]

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key send an e-mail to mailto:DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

Van Lant, Robin

I have an HP laptop at home and it can be really odd as to when you have to push the FN key and when you don't. I really need to take note of it to figure out the pattern, but I am positive that this is the person's issue.

[...]

Dan Longmore

Hi,
JAWS in the system tray does not always respond well. Best practice in my thought is to quit JAWS with JAWS key and F4.

[...]

Greetings,

Now, you got me curious. FS use to always tell users of Jaws that they will have a better experience if they run Jaws from the system tray. What kind of problems do you run in to if it is run from the system tray.

Naturally, we all want Jaws to be as effective and problem free as possible. So, Any advice will be appreciated.

Cheers,

James B

[...]

David & his pack of dogs

I do it the old fashion way. Use a wireless keyboard This way I have the 6 pack of keys and just use the insert or JAWS key with Alt. F4, to close JAWS

[...]

If this is the case I wonder why "Run from system tray" is not checked by default if you install Jaws on a new system.
It is always one of the first things I do either manually or in the setup wizard since I hate having Jaws in the taskbar.

[...]

A wireless keyboard won't solve the issue if your laptop uses the function keys as media keys. If that is the case by default then the function keys on the wireless keyboard will mimic this behaviour.

[...]

I hate Jaws in the task bar too. And, I'm still curious as to where Jaws runs best.

James B

[...]

why do you need to use, jaws/insert key+alt+f4,
you should be able to use insert+f4 to unload jaws.
this is true whether you use a wireless or not.