Topics

Major problem

James Lockwood <lockwoodnd@...>

I am running windows 10 and have jaws 2018 and 2019 most up-to-date version. I have an Alienware R17 laptop. I am having a problem where Jaws is acting like the shift key is held down. However it is physically not held down. Is anyone else experienced this problem?

netbat66

are you sure? there is usually two shift keys. one on the left and one on the right side of the keypad.

If it works don't fix it
On 4/15/2019 6:52 PM, James Lockwood wrote:

I am running windows 10 and have jaws 2018 and 2019 most up-to-date version. I have an Alienware R17 laptop. I am having a problem where Jaws is acting like the shift key is held down. However it is physically not held down.  Is anyone else experienced this problem?

Ann Byrne

Percussive maintenance often works: Place one hand on each shift key and bang them alternately about ten times. If you haven't rebooted yet and percussion doesn't work, reboot.
good luck!

At 08:52 PM 4/15/2019, you wrote:
I am running windows 10 and have jaws 2018 and 2019 most up-to-date version. I have an Alienware R17 laptop. I am having a problem where Jaws is acting like the shift key is held down. However it is physically not held down. Is anyone else experienced this problem?

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, James. Have you checked to make sure Sticky Keys is not turned on in
Windows 10?

Bill White

billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

I am running windows 10 and have jaws 2018 and 2019 most up-to-date version.
I have an Alienware R17 laptop. I am having a problem where Jaws is acting
like the shift key is held down. However it is physically not held down. Is
anyone else experienced this problem?

Zel Iscel

Hi there,
Yes I have the same problem now and again and find that I have to restart the computer in order to resolve it.

Cheers
Zel

I am running windows 10 and have jaws 2018 and 2019 most up-to-date version. I have an Alienware R17 laptop. I am having a problem where Jaws is acting like the shift key is held down. However it is physically not held down. Is anyone else experienced this problem?

Chris Hill

Smack both shift keys several times, but not too many to bring on stickey keys dialog.  This is a problem that used to happen all the time with certain keyboard controllers chips.  Usually reboot is not necessary.

On 4/15/2019 20:52, James Lockwood wrote:
I am running windows 10 and have jaws 2018 and 2019 most up-to-date version. I have an Alienware R17 laptop. I am having a problem where Jaws is acting like the shift key is held down. However it is physically not held down. Is anyone else experienced this problem?

Randy Barnett

Make sure the keys are not stuck. Use compressed air to blow out the keys. Laptops seem to get stuck as they are often exposed to lots of different places.

On 4/15/2019 6:52 PM, James Lockwood wrote:
I am running windows 10 and have jaws 2018 and 2019 most up-to-date version. I have an Alienware R17 laptop. I am having a problem where Jaws is acting like the shift key is held down. However it is physically not held down. Is anyone else experienced this problem?

Van Lant, Robin

Yes, I thought I was accidentally hitting caps lock somehow, but maybe that's not the case. I'm also seeing where JAWS says that I have control and/or alt held down. I just had this happen and tried someone's idea of hitting the left and right Alt keys repeateadly back and forth and surprisingly, that cleared it. I then did it with the control key and, again, it seemed to clear the issue. ItCertainly is an odd issue.

Yes I have the same problem now and again and find that I have to restart the computer in order to resolve it.

Cheers
Zel
I am running windows 10 and have jaws 2018 and 2019 most up-to-date version. I have an Alienware R17 laptop. I am having a problem where Jaws is acting like the shift key is held down. However it is physically not held down. Is anyone else experienced this problem?

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114
send an e-mail to mailto:DNERequests@key.com with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the
SUBJECT line.

Try a new keyboard