Topics

scripts causing jaws to uncontrollably read on and on and on and on and on...

Rick Mladek

Hi all,

Sorry about the subject line, I got a little carried away…

When on certain websites, there are times too regular to be easily over-looked. There is some sort of script, perhaps java, that causes jaws to go into a mode of fast paced character to character read of the said script. I cannot stop it, I cannot move to another open item on my task bar and jaws is simply locked as with the entire computer until this script is finished. Sometimes a hard shutdown of the computer is what is necessary for this to stop.

My computer is windows 10 64 bit

Jaws is 2019 latest update

I was using FireFox, this time not an IE issue but this also happens on IE, as well. Firefox is the latest version, as well.

I use a triple-talk synthesizer

The website given the latest problem was:

Info.com

I searched for global diabetes statistics and when the results came up, I started at the top and arrowing down a line at a time, I passed over the search button and the script began. I did this a second time to confirm and it happened the same.

Is there a setting to stop this? I’ve had this problem since 2015 or possibly earlier but I’ve called the JAWS geniuses and they told me they were aware of the problem and the next version put out would stop it. It has not.

So, I look forward to your help…

Rick

JM Casey

I used to notice something like this happening with Vocalizer synth and certain websites, like the main intranet portal of my old work.

Since I switched back to Eloquence for most purposes I haven’t had this happen.

But since you use a Triple Talk and are still getting this (or something like this) issue, it must not be synth-dependent after all.

[...]

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

My opinion is that this occurs when, for some reason, the computer sends all of its buffered voice output to the synthesizer at once, thus overwhelming the synthesizer so that an interrupt character cannot be sent to it.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

That sounds logical.

I wonder why Eloquence isn’t affected though?

[...]

Is the Triple-Talk synthesizer a hardware or software synthesizer? If hardware, the question is moot, because external synths work quite differently from software synths. If Triple-Talk is a software synth like Eloquence, it could simply be that Eloquence has programming which keeps its buffers from being overwhelmed in the first place. For example, I quite often hear Eloquence speak long strings of text. If this goes on and on without stopping, Eloquence will develop a lower and lower voice, then suddenly go back to normal, then start the voice lowering process again. I think this is a similar situation where eloquence doesn’t know where to make a break.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Bill,

Triple-Talk is a hardware external synthesizer.

[...]

Marty Hutchings

I have noticed this anoying behaviour when reading some web sites with lots of numbered graphics.  JAWS will begin reading the seemingly endless strings of numbers and repeatedly pressing the Control key will not stop JAWS.  The voice tone gets lower and lower.

Love in Christ
Marty
Ephesians 6:12, 13

Sent: Friday, April 12, 2019 3:59 PM

[...]

I believe that what is going on is this. With software synthesizers that are internal, there is a way of controlling how much information is sent to the programmed buffer for the synthesizer. Many external synthesizers just receive as much information as possible, and become overwhelmed. That’s why I asked about whether the synthesizer is internal or external, meaning not software only. Try it out if you can with other external synthesizers, and I think you will find that they may all have the problem about not being able to be interrupted at certain times.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Bill and all, If this is the case, what is the resolution? Is there a buffer restriction of some level that can be set to not exceed?

Rick

[...]

There may be one, but if so, I haven’t heard of a process for doing so.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...