Topics

unable to read PDF

Kevin Meyers <kevinmeyers@...>

Hello, I’m using Jaws2018 and Windoes10. I opened a PDF file and Jaws doesn’t read anything. I didn’t even get the message where Jaws recognizes the PDF and gives option to scan it. I tried to save it as as a MS word file and I get the message I can download the Adobe version that allows me to convert. I use to be able to convert and something happened that no longer allows me to do so. Any thoughts of what I can do? Thanks, Kevin

Alyssa <lyssassong@...>

It sounds like it may be opening in Edge over Acrobat. If that’s the case, unfortunately JAWS 2018 won’t read it. You will need to download Acrobat from Adobe’s site.

-Alyssa

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kevin Meyers
Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2019 10:36 AM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: unable to read PDF

Hello, I’m using Jaws2018 and Windoes10. I opened a PDF file and Jaws doesn’t read anything. I didn’t even get the message where Jaws recognizes the PDF and gives option to scan it. I tried to save it as as a MS word file and I get the message I can download the Adobe version that allows me to convert. I use to be able to convert and something happened that no longer allows me to do so. Any thoughts of what I can do? Thanks, Kevin

If you are using Adobe Acrobat Reader do the following:

1. Go to Edit > Preferences, the keyboard shortcut is Control + K

2. In the categories list arrow down to Security (Enhanced) or you can also press “S” 3 times to get there

3. Tab once and you hear “Enable Protected Mode at startup”, if it says this is checked press the spacebar to uncheck it. You will get the following message/prompt:

Adobe Acrobat Reader dialog
Disabling Protected Mode also disables Protected View and AppContainer.

For changes to take effect, you need to manually restart the application. Are you sure you want to continue?

4. Tab to Yes and activate it, then press Shift + Tab 3 times to get to the OK button and activate it.

5. Now close Acrobat Reader and reopen your document.

Regards,

Sieghard

Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2019 7:36 AM

Ashleigh Piccinino

Hello Kevin
I don’t know about converting A PDF document. However, can you check for me and see if jaws says, “empty document. “ of course, this is when you either up or down arrow through the document. If jaws says, “empty document, “but A cited helper knows there is something on your screen come The document could  a scanned image. When pDFs are like this,  you can usually press this hotkey. The insert key on your number pad (if you have a regular desktop sized keyboard) and the Space bar is a layered command in jaws. Press these two keys followed by the letter O to get to OCR.You are still not done. Press the D for a document. The screen reader  will say, “OCR started. “It might take a while, but your document should come up, reading as if it were in word. Then, you can read through it, select it and pasted into another program such as words, of course after copying, or just hit the escape key.   after you are done reading your OCR results, press escape Key. I hope this helps, and sorry for any miss spellings. Other than my instructions, I do not know how to help. Sorry about that.
Thank you for your question, and I would be glad to help again if you need it,
Ashleigh S Piccinino

On Apr 10, 2019, at 9:36 AM, Kevin Meyers <kevinmeyers@...> wrote:

Kimber Gardner

Thanks for these instructions. I've been plagued by this problem for
quite a while now.

Kim

On 4/10/19, Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@live.ca> wrote:

2. In the categories list arrow down to Security (Enhanced) or you can also
press "S" 3 times to get there
3. Tab once and you hear "Enable Protected Mode at startup", if it says this
is checked press the spacebar to uncheck it. You will get the following
message/prompt:
For changes to take effect, you need to manually restart the application.
Are you sure you want to continue?
4. Tab to Yes and activate it, then press Shift + Tab 3 times to get to the
OK button and activate it.

Regards,
Sieghard

Hello, I'm using Jaws2018 and Windoes10. I opened a PDF file and Jaws
doesn't read anything. I didn't even get the message where Jaws recognizes
the PDF and gives option to scan it. I tried to save it as as a MS word file
and I get the message I can download the Adobe version that allows me to
convert. I use to be able to convert and something happened that no longer
allows me to do so. Any thoughts of what I can do? Thanks, Kevin

--
Kimberly

Jason White

Turning off that option solved my problem with Adobe Reader DC as well - thank you.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kimber Gardner
Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2019 2:24 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: unable to read PDF

Thanks for these instructions. I've been plagued by this problem for quite a while now.

Kim

On 4/10/19, Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@live.ca> wrote:

1. Go to Edit > Preferences, the keyboard shortcut is Control + K 2.
In the categories list arrow down to Security (Enhanced) or you can
also press "S" 3 times to get there 3. Tab once and you hear "Enable
Protected Mode at startup", if it says this is checked press the
spacebar to uncheck it. You will get the following
message/prompt:
For changes to take effect, you need to manually restart the application.
Are you sure you want to continue?
4. Tab to Yes and activate it, then press Shift + Tab 3 times to get
to the OK button and activate it.

Regards,
Sieghard

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kevin
Meyers

Hello, I'm using Jaws2018 and Windoes10. I opened a PDF file and Jaws
doesn't read anything. I didn't even get the message where Jaws
recognizes the PDF and gives option to scan it. I tried to save it as
as a MS word file and I get the message I can download the Adobe
version that allows me to convert. I use to be able to convert and
something happened that no longer allows me to do so. Any thoughts of
what I can do? Thanks, Kevin

--
Kimberly

Kevin Meyers <kevinmeyers@...>

Sieghard,

Thanks That worked. I now remember doing this one other time. Wonder why I had to do it again.

Thanks,

Kevin

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2019 10:19 AM

2. In the categories list arrow down to Security (Enhanced) or you can also press “S” 3 times to get there

3. Tab once and you hear “Enable Protected Mode at startup”, if it says this is checked press the spacebar to uncheck it. You will get the following message/prompt:

For changes to take effect, you need to manually restart the application. Are you sure you want to continue?

4. Tab to Yes and activate it, then press Shift + Tab 3 times to get to the OK button and activate it.

Regards,

Sieghard

Paul Sandoval

Sieghard,

I want to thank you so much for this suggestion. I began struggling with this a couple of days ago and couldn’t figure out what was causing the problem.

I remember doing this in the past, but it has been a long time since I’ve had to change this setting.

Thank you again.

Paul.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2019 9:19 AM

Regards,

Sieghard

Steve Nutt

Hi Kevin,

Go into Acrobat Reader DC, then Preferences, then arrow down to Security Enhanced, and uncheck the two checkboxes, Protection Mode at start up and Enhanced security.

These were turned on with a recent update, but stop JAWS from reading PDF files.

All the best

Steve

Sent: 10 April 2019 15:36