Topics

remote access

Juan Hernandez

HI All,

I work from home a bit.  I wanted to know if I am at work on my work computer is there a way I can access my home computer?  What would be a good accessible solution?

Best,

Remote Desktop allows you to connect to your computer provided you know your home computer’s IP address.

You probably also have to set up port forwarding in your router to allow the connection and of course you have to make sure Remote Desktop is enabled for the computer you want to connect to.

If you don’t have a fixed IP address which for a home connection is likely you would have to set up something called a “dynamic DNS” which allows you to set up an easy to remember name and if your IP address changes the service will automatically update this so that the name you set up still works, below is a website with more information:

https://dyn.com/dns/dyndns-pro-free-trial/

Lastly, if you use Jaws you may have to contact Vispero, I think Remote Desktop may not be something which works with a basic Jaws license, if I go to Jaws > About it says the following in addition to the version information etc.:

Upgrades Remaining: 2

Remote Access: Enabled

Tandem Direct: Disabled

Regards,

Sieghard

I work from home a bit.  I wanted to know if I am at work on my work computer is there a way I can access my home computer?  What would be a good accessible solution?

Best,

Steve Nutt

Hi,

This is only true if you have Windows 10 Pro.  Home won’t let you connect unattended to another Home computer.

All the best

Steve

I work from home a bit.  I wanted to know if I am at work on my work computer is there a way I can access my home computer?  What would be a good accessible solution?

Best,

James Homuth

This is true. You can connect from Home to Pro just fine, though. RDP server isn’t available on 10 Home. This is why I was curious if JAWS would work with something like Teamviewer. I haven’t tested it yet, and may need to email VFO about it, but if you’re already using Home it seems almost pointless to upgrade to Pro just for RDP. I mean I’d do it, but only on my equipment. I do tech support for the parents, though, and I wouldn’t make them upgrade to Pro just so I can remote in if I didn’t have to.

This is only true if you have Windows 10 Pro.  Home won’t let you connect unattended to another Home computer.

All the best

Steve

I work from home a bit.  I wanted to know if I am at work on my work computer is there a way I can access my home computer?  What would be a good accessible solution?

Best,

David & his pack of dogs

Well, I have windows 10 home and it worked just fine with team viewer 13 as of the summer of last year when I had a session with a sighted person. I was running the latest JAWS and obviously she was not.  Since then I use the JAWS tandem.  The other person broke down and installed JAWS 19 on his computer.

[...]

No, I mean using JAWS over Teamviewer. I know it works just fine if a sighted person’s doing the driving.

On 2019-04-07 12:39 p.m., James Homuth wrote:

[...]

Yeah, I got remote access an age ago. Actually used it over RDP a time or few because I was lazy. I’ll have to play around with it and see how it works with Teamviewer. If it does, awesome. If it doesn’t and I need pro just for RDP, I’m going to be highly annoyed. I don’t even use the pro features on 7, and I’m running ultimate. LOL

On 2019-04-07 12:39 p.m., James Homuth wrote:

[...]

Oh, I know. What I meant was if Teamviewer doesn’t work and I need to upgrade to Pro just for RDP, it’s going to annoy me. I have no reason to be running pro just at the moment, but I will. I’ll play with it and see if it works, though.

On 2019-04-07 12:39 p.m., James Homuth wrote:

[...]

I don't use any Pro features (at least not yet) either, but with a recycled license costing the princely sum of $2.03 US I upgraded this machine the other day so that I'd have a Pro, 64-bit, box in the house.   It will be nice to have "compare and contrast" ability with regard to Windows Update controls available under each after 1903 rolls out.

           ~ Bertrand Russell

Nermin

Hi,

I did use TeamViewer now and then, with JAWS being installed on all machines.
I remember that I had to do quite a bit of key pass-throughs to control some of the remote JAWS’ features.
Your best bet is to install NVDA on both machines, have it start up on the machine you want to control, and install NVDA Remote on both.
Works very well, and it will even come up when doing updates and restarting the remote machine or when your connection is bad now and then.
JAWS Tandem has the disadvantage of not reconnecting or losing connection when JAWS restarts for some reason or other.

Regards,
Nermin

James Homuth

That’s because JAWS Tandem, like NVDA Remote, relies on the screenreader to be up and stable to work. If JAWS or NVDA crashes, good luck. That’s why I was kind of hoping for Teamviewer. I don’t care which screenreader I end up using, honestly. But the ability to restart it when it inevitably falls over without needing to be in front of the machine would be helpful.

I did use TeamViewer now and then, with JAWS being installed on all machines.

I remember that I had to do quite a bit of key pass-throughs to control some of the remote JAWS’ features.

Your best bet is to install NVDA on both machines, have it start up on the machine you want to control, and install NVDA Remote on both.

Works very well, and it will even come up when doing updates and restarting the remote machine or when your connection is bad now and then.

JAWS Tandem has the disadvantage of not reconnecting or losing connection when JAWS restarts for some reason or other.

Regards,

Nermin

Nermin

Hi,

honestly, NVDA never ever quit on me on the remote device.
If I had to restart the machine for whatever reason, NVDA always restarted itself and NVDA REmote along with it.

Regards,
Nermin

[...]

Understood. I’ve made NVDA crash in the weirdest ways before, and doing what I do will probably do it again, so was thinking corner cases. It’s also why I don’t use Tandem—if JAWS goes sideways, I’m pooched until I’m local to the machine.

[...]

Tyler Wood

Hi,

Lately NVDA quits on me all the time without a restart, no matter what I do, how much I reinstall/reconfigure/don't install specific add ons. So teamviewer is a nice addition when NVDA remote stops working.

[...]

Yes, so long as the host is Pro, you’re fine.

All the best

Steve