Topics

How to change margins using MS Word ribbons?

Peter Tesar

Hello,

I'm having trouble navigating these ribbons.

I need to change the margins in MS Word.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks, Peter T.

Ben Humphreys <brhbrhbrh@...>

Hi Peter,

With Alt+Q you don't hardly need the ribbons anymore.

Try this:
Alt+Q
Type margins
Then press down arrow to navigate the search results

Hope this helps,

Ben

At 04:38 PM 3/25/2019, you wrote:

Hello,

I'm having trouble navigating these ribbons.

I need to change the margins in MS Word.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks, Peter T.

Peter,

             ALT+P,M  (Layout Ribbon, Margins option)
             You can then down arrow through a variety of common margin settings to select from OR if you want custom margins, Hit A, which brings up the Page Layout dialog with the Margins Tab selected and open.  The various fields in the Margins tab are self explanatory (except, perhaps for Gutter, which I never change).

Peter Tesar

Thanks for your responses.

The alt+q does not work but the alt+P might.

I should have mentioned that I have Word 2007 with the latest version of Jaws 2019 with the virtual ribbon feature turned on.

Perhaps the alt+q works with a more recent version then with the Word 2007 that I have.

Brian suggested:

                ALT+P,M  (Layout Ribbon, Margins option)

The alt+p gives me:

    virtual ribbons, page layout tab

Pressing "m" gives me:

   lower ribbon, create submenu

From here I tried tabbing and arrowing down, left, right and up.

I can't find a layout ribbon.

Nothing was heard that might lead to a path to margins.

Any more suggestions on where to navigate from alt+p?

Thanks,

Peter T.

On 3/25/2019 5:28 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Peter,

             ALT+P,M  (Layout Ribbon, Margins option)
             You can then down arrow through a variety of common margin settings to select from OR if you want custom margins, Hit A, which brings up the Page Layout dialog with the Margins Tab selected and open.  The various fields in the Margins tab are self explanatory (except, perhaps for Gutter, which I never change).

Ann Byrne

Go to layout on the ribbon. The first item is margins.

Or press alt+p, then m.

Oddly, only custom margins shows top and bottom, as well as left and right. But setting margins to narrow, adjusts both sides and top and bottom, even though it doesn't indicate it is going to do that. Check with insert+f1 for margin settings.

At 06:00 PM 3/25/2019, you wrote:

Thanks for your responses.

The alt+q does not work but the alt+P might.

I should have mentioned that I have Word 2007 with the latest version of Jaws 2019 with the virtual ribbon feature turned on.

Perhaps the alt+q works with a more recent version then with the Word 2007 that I have.

Brian suggested:

         ALT+P,M (Layout Ribbon, Margins option)

The alt+p gives me:

   virtual ribbons, page layout tab

Pressing "m" gives me:

  lower ribbon, create submenu

From here I tried tabbing and arrowing down, left, right and up.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 Â

You're going to need someone who has Word 2007.   I haven't had that since around 2011, and just recently went from 2010 to 2016.  Things have changed significantly, and I also avoid the JAWS virtual ribbon feature as it makes actually using the ribbons as they are meant to be used more difficult.

Peter Tesar

Hello,

I finally found the Margins sub menu. There is a list of margin types and I assume that I just press ENTER to set it.

The problem is that when I use two Jaws commands to get the left margin setting, I get two different values.

When in the Word document, (before setting margins) and with the cursor at the top left, I use these commands: alt plus numpad dot and the INSERT plus F1.

The first Jaws command gives the left margin as 2.5 inches while the latter command gives a left margin of .5 inche.

If I set the margins to "wide" the left margin should be 2 inches but these commands give it as 2 and 4 inches.

What is happening?

Peter T.

At 06:00 PM 3/25/2019, you wrote:

Thanks for your responses.

The alt+q does not work but the alt+P might.

I should have mentioned that I have Word 2007 with the latest version of Jaws 2019 with the virtual ribbon feature turned on.

Perhaps the alt+q works with a more recent version then with the Word 2007 that I have.

Brian suggested:

                ALT+P,M  (Layout Ribbon, Margins option)

The alt+p gives me:

    virtual ribbons, page layout tab

Pressing "m" gives me:

   lower ribbon, create submenu

From here I tried tabbing and arrowing down, left, right and up.

At 08:39 PM 3/25/2019, you wrote:

Hello,

I finally found the Margins sub menu. There is a list of margin types and I assume that I just press ENTER to set it.

The problem is that when I use two Jaws commands to get the left margin setting, I get two different values.

When in the Word document, (before setting margins) and with the cursor at the top left, I use these commands: alt plus numpad dot and the INSERT plus F1.

The first Jaws command gives the left margin as 2.5 inches while the latter command gives a left margin of .5 inche.

If I set the margins to "wide" the left margin should be 2 inches but these commands give it as 2 and 4 inches.

I can't duplicate this. I would reboot and see if that helps. sometimes JAWS looses its perspective in Office after a while. Not just in Excel, although that happens more quickly, but also in Word.

At 06:00 PM 3/25/2019, you wrote:

Thanks for your responses.

The alt+q does not work but the alt+P might.

I should have mentioned that I have Word 2007 with the latest version of Jaws 2019 with the virtual ribbon feature turned on.

Perhaps the alt+q works with a more recent version then with the Word 2007 that I have.

Brian suggested:

         ALT+P,M (Layout Ribbon, Margins option)

The alt+p gives me:

   virtual ribbons, page layout tab

Pressing "m" gives me:

  lower ribbon, create submenu

From here I tried tabbing and arrowing down, left, right and up.

I can't find a layout ribbon.

Nothing was heard that might lead to a path to margins.

Any more suggestions on where to navigate from alt+p?

Thanks,

Peter T.

On 3/25/2019 5:28 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Peter,

       ALT+P,M (Layout Ribbon, Margins option)
       You can then down arrow through a variety of common margin settings to select from OR if you want custom margins, Hit A, which brings up the Page Layout dialog with the Margins Tab selected and open. The various fields in the Margins tab are self explanatory (except, perhaps for Gutter, which I never change).

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 Â

 Â Explanations exist; they have existed for all time; there is always a well-known solution to every human problem —” neat, plausible, and wrong.