JAWS 16 question and comment

Tusing <ptusing@...>

Hi, all,

I  have been told  that one can find the latest link for

JAWS 16 and install it right   on top of

Either of the 2 previous JAWS 16 versions.

(I  installed the first JAWS 16).

So one can install  onto the old  without removing the existing J 16

Right?

Thanks in advance.

My comment isthat thank heavens Iam not using Windows 10.  I purchased  a new sma  only tofind that

F  S brought out a new JAWS version (17)  when  JAWS 16  definitely hampers the use of

JAWS and  Adobe.

At  least I canstill use earlier versions of JAWS to use Adobe. In
Windows 10, I would be at the mercy of  mandatory

Microsoft updates without ability to use Adobe.

Cindy Ray <cindyray@...>

I am using Windows 10, Adobe reader, and JAWS 17. I really have had only trouble with Outlook 2016 so far.

Cindy Lou Ray

I  have been told  that one can find the latest link for

JAWS 16 and install it right   on top of

Either of the 2 previous JAWS 16 versions.

(I  installed the first JAWS 16).

So one can install  onto the old  without removing the existing J 16

Right?

Thanks in advance.

My comment isthat thank heavens Iam not using Windows 10.  I purchased  a new sma  only tofind that

F  S brought out a new JAWS version (17)  when  JAWS 16  definitely hampers the use of

JAWS and  Adobe.

At  least I canstill use earlier versions of JAWS to use Adobe. In
Windows 10, I would be at the mercy of  mandatory

Microsoft updates without ability to use Adobe.

Shan Noyes

That is correct

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 29, 2015, at 9:57 AM, ptusing <ptusing@...> wrote:

Hi, all,

I  have been told  that one can find the latest link for

JAWS 16 and install it right   on top of

Either of the 2 previous JAWS 16 versions.

(I  installed the first JAWS 16).

So one can install  onto the old  without removing the existing J 16

Right?

Thanks in advance.

My comment isthat thank heavens Iam not using Windows 10.  I purchased  a new sma  only tofind that

F  S brought out a new JAWS version (17)  when  JAWS 16  definitely hampers the use of

JAWS and  Adobe.

At  least I canstill use earlier versions of JAWS to use Adobe. In
Windows 10, I would be at the mercy of  mandatory

Microsoft updates without ability to use Adobe.

ptusing,

         I'm a bit confused regarding several issues in your query but will try to help as best I can

         If you have a legitimate and legally licensed JAWS 16 installation on your system it should keep applying any and all successive "dot level" updates within the JAWS 16 release itself or, I guess I should say, telling you they're available and asking you to allow them to be applied.  That being said, I have seen instances where one of these "dot level" updates would not apply and that stops the progression cold afterward.  If you are in that situation I'd suggest you go to the Previous Versions of JAWS for Windows download page, download the version of JAWS 16 for your computer's architecture (32 versus 64-bit), and try an "install over" install first.  If it won't let you install over the existing JAWS then you would need to uninstall the existing copy and reinstall using the downloaded file.  If you're already licensed this is generally picked up by the installer on its own.  I've had to do this before under JAWS 15.

          I have no idea why you think that you cannot use Adobe Reader under Windows 10, because it definitely exists and functions under Windows 10.  There may be a JAWS 17 issue related to Windows 10 and/or Adobe Reader of which I'm unaware and, if that's so, I'd really appreciate having the details.  I've got a client who's currently on JAWS 15 that I will soon be updating to JAWS 17 (all on a Windows 7 machine) that relies heavily on PDF files and must access them on a constant basis.  If JAWS 17 and Adobe Reader are not playing well with each other that would not be a good thing.

Brian

Ann Byrne

The easiest way to upgrade is to go to JAWS/help/check for updates. That way the software determines whether you have a 64-bit or 32-bit computer, and you don't have to.

On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 08:18 am, Ann Byrne wrote:
The easiest way to upgrade is to go to JAWS/help/check for updates. That way the software determines whether you have a 64-bit or 32-bit computer, and you don't have to.

 Ann, I absolutely agree.  I made the probably unfounded assumption that this had already been tried and failed.  I've generally found that JAWS will nag you to death to apply the next incremental update (AKA dot update) within a release until you relent and do so.  I think the instance of JAWS 15 not being able to successfully install one of those is the only time I've seen that occur, then no further incremental updates were available afterward.  That was the reason I did an uninstall/reinstall in that situation.  The fresh reinstallation instantly applied incremental updates.  I imagine there are times that for some reason that will never be explained that JAWS might not be checking on its own to see if an incremental update is available.

Brian

Marsha <marcatony@...>

HI
  I have never been bugged about upgrading Jaws.  Is there a problem or is there a setting?

Marsha

On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 11:46 am, Marsha wrote:
I have never been bugged about upgrading Jaws.  Is there a problem or is there a setting?

 Marsha,

         The nagging, so far as I've seen, sticks to within a major release number of JAWS.  If you are already on the final incremental release within a major release, which I'd think everyone using JAWS 15 would have to be and probably JAWS 16, too, there's nothing else to nag you about.  It's also doubtful that the clients I've worked with over the years would have tweaked any setting related to updates.

         If others have seen any sort of prodding along the lines of, "Please update to the newest release of JAWS," from JAWS then please share.  That hasn't happened to me yet; I always get that prodding from technical support!

Brian

Cindy Ray <cindyray@...>

I think the main prodding going on is with Windows trying to get folks to update to Windows 10.

Cindy Lou Ray

On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 11:46 am, Marsha wrote:

I have never been bugged about upgrading Jaws.  Is there a problem or is there a setting?

 Marsha,

         The nagging, so far as I've seen, sticks to within a major release number of JAWS.  If you are already on the final incremental release within a major release, which I'd think everyone using JAWS 15 would have to be and probably JAWS 16, too, there's nothing else to nag you about.  It's also doubtful that the clients I've worked with over the years would have tweaked any setting related to updates.

         If others have seen any sort of prodding along the lines of, "Please update to the newest release of JAWS," from JAWS then please share.  That hasn't happened to me yet; I always get that prodding from technical support!

Brian

Maria Campbell

I don't understand what the problem is about messages to upgrade. You set whether you want to be notified of upgrades or not.
If you set not to be notified, you simply won't know when there is an update, unless you hear of it on these lists.

--

Sunny Day
Maria Campbell

Be patient with God: Be patient with yourself: Be patient with others.

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

That’s right, upgrades require nothing more than running the latest archive file, and following onscreen instructions.  Just sit back and relax, until it’s time to reboot.

I  have been told  that one can find the latest link for

JAWS 16 and install it right   on top of

Either of the 2 previous JAWS 16 versions.

(I  installed the first JAWS 16).

So one can install  onto the old  without removing the existing J 16

Right?

Thanks in advance.

My comment isthat thank heavens Iam not using Windows 10.  I purchased  a new sma  only tofind that

F  S brought out a new JAWS version (17)  when  JAWS 16  definitely hampers the use of

JAWS and  Adobe.

At  least I canstill use earlier versions of JAWS to use Adobe. In
Windows 10, I would be at the mercy of  mandatory

Microsoft updates without ability to use Adobe.

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Trouble is history has shown it doesn't work. Getting a fresh copy from FS works every tine.

[...]

Ted and Anne,

          I think we may have a circumstance where we're "talking past each other" because the same term is being used for separate things.  Before I start quoting I want to say that I will use the word update only to refer to patches that FS releases that get applied to JAWS within a single release number and upgrade only to refer to a move from one release of JAWS to another, e.g., JAWS 15 to JAWS 16 is an upgrade.  Now, on to the quotes . . .

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)
1 minute ago

Ted wrote: "Trouble is history has shown it doesn't work. Getting a fresh copy from FS works every time," in response to Anne's comment, "The easiest way to upgrade is to go to JAWS/help/check for updates. That way the software determines whether you have a 64-bit or 32-bit computer, and you don't have to."

I believe that Anne was referring to an update rather than a full release upgrade, and if that's the case then she's completely correct. I have never seen JAWS be capable of a full release upgrade using any "within a prior release" tool or setting. One must always do either the usual install-over using the newest release's install file or a full uninstall-reinstall on those occasions when the usual install-over install hits some major snag, and I have had that happen.

Updates can definitely be managed within JAWS itself but upgrades cannot. If anyone knows of a way to trigger a full upgrade from within an existing and running installation of JAWS I'd love to hear about it.

Brian, hoping I'm bringing clarity here, as that's my intent

Adrian Spratt

Ted is referring to the problem many listers have reported over time that downloading upgrades via the update feature in the JAWS help menu has resulted in corrupted files, requiring either a repair or a new download directly from the FS website.

It is widely understood here that you cannot download a full version via the update feature, and if one doesn’t already know, one quickly finds out when the attempt fails.

[...]

Thanks, Brian.  I didn’t know they were still doing patches, but they once worked quite well back in the ‘90’s.  I forget the error we all got when we tried to update via the JAWS menu, but I remember the time I tried it; it wasn’t a patch.  The system tried unsuccessfully to download the entire thing.

Ted