Topics

Malware Bytes

Richard Turner

I had not installed Malware Bytes before.

I only want the home free version.

I plan to only run it when I choose to.

It seems to insist on the 14 day trial of the premium version.

And, even saying No Thanks, I just want to scan, nothing seems to happen.

Are there scripts I should install, or some basic instructions somewhere?

Thanks,

Richard

James Bentley

I seem to remember that someone else had this problem a year or so ago.  I think that the person just had to install the trial version.  It will eventually revert to the free version.

James B

I had not installed Malware Bytes before.

I only want the home free version.

I plan to only run it when I choose to.

It seems to insist on the 14 day trial of the premium version.

And, even saying No Thanks, I just want to scan, nothing seems to happen.

Are there scripts I should install, or some basic instructions somewhere?

Thanks,

Richard

Mario

after the 14 day trial expires, it will revert to the free version. and
in my experience, if a newer version is offered (3.1 to 3.4 for example)
, accepting will reinstate another 14 day trial in which it offers full
functionality unless you opt to upgrade to the premium version or you
let the 14 days elapse again.

I don't know what you can do about the scanning problem.

as for scripts, there are none because none are really necessary since a
lot of tabbing around is the primary method of navigating it's UI (shift
tabbing doesn't seem to work reliably). however, it would be nice if
someone would make a script that would facilitate the efficient use of
it's functionality such as reviewing and selecting detected potential
threats, and the like. but It's still usable to us blind users as it is.

I had not installed Malware Bytes before.

I only want the home free version.

I plan to only run it when I choose to.

It seems to insist on the 14 day trial of the premium version.

And, even saying No Thanks, I just want to scan, nothing seems to happen.

Are there scripts I should install, or some basic instructions somewhere?

Thanks,

Richard

I know that getting rid of the trial can be done in one of the tabs/categories, but I can't for the life of me remember which one and I'm not on a machine where Malwarebytes is installed.

I have not ever, at least recently, been able to install the free version without getting the premium trial, but I immediately dig through those settings tabs/categories and uncheck the checkbox (at least I think it's a checkbox) to cause the trial to end immediately.

Mike B

Hi Richard,

Here's a brief tutorial I wrote awhile back but, it still holds true.

Whenever you open MWB you will hear Jaws report various Tabs as you Tab through the interface.  The tabs are Dashboard, Scan, Quarantine, Reports, & Settings
If you press the spacebar on any one of the tabs this selects this tab and now you have to tab many times to get to this tabs options.

Let's take the Scan tab for instance.  If you check this tab., and tab several times you will come to its options for this selection.  Scan Type & Scan
Schedule are its 2 options.  Press the spacebar on which option, then tab to review your choices for the selected option.  When you are through tabbing
through that tabs options you will wratp around to the beginning of the innerface.  Check another tab, and you start all over again tabbing to options
for the selected tab.  This is why I said earlier that the latest MWB is accessible, but requires tabbing like hell to review all the Tabs, options, &
selections.

Your question about selecting Quarantined items is tough to answer because I haven't figured out a reliable & consistent way of doing this, so I use a
combination of OCR, Jaws cursor, & Touch cursor gymnastics, or get someone sighted to select them all & remove!  LOL  LOL

Here's an example I'll use on finding the scan options:
Open MWB and tab to, Scan Tab, press the spacebar to check it.
Tab to, Scan Types, and this should be checked, press the spacebar to check it if it isn't.
Tab to, Threat Scan, and this should be checked by default.  When you tab to this , Jaws should report some information about this scan.  Tab 1 time, this
the Custom scan option, again Jaws should read some info about selecting this scan.  Tab 1 time, and this is the Hyper scan, and again Jaws should read
information about this scan when you tab to it.  If you want to select either the, Custom, or Hyper, scans press the spacebar to select the scan, but the
Threat scan, is probably your best choice and only takes a few minutes to run.
Tab 1 more time to the, Start Scan, button and press the spacebar to start.

If you ran a scan you would select the Reports tab and tab to the table of scans that you would choose from to review its results.  If you want quarantined
items, select the, Quarantine tab....

It is really hard to describe this latest version of MWB, and the way I learned was to wear out my tab key, and pay close attention to various buttons,
comboboxes, and whatever you will come across by selecting the diferent tabs, then reviewing the options of them.

I hope this helps, and I know I probably confused the hell out of you, but the best way to get acclamated with is to spen some time with it, paying close
attention to what Jaws reports.