alt text

Rick Mladek

Hi all,

I am sorry if I've missed any recent talk regarding alt text but I am needing to add some alt text to a photo within a 2010 Word document. Using Word 2010, can anyone explain the short-cuts using Jaws latest version and Windows 10? Reading information on the web, it says to right click on the image and I've tried this. It says to then click on the format picture, I cannot find the format picture button. It then says to add the alt text. Is there any way to get this done more easy?

Thank you for putting up with me,

Rick

Rick,

         I don't think this has changed since Word 2010, though I recently updated to Word 2016.  When you bring up the context menu, does it have an item in it for "Edit Alt Text"?   If it doesn't, what are the options?

         My one machine that still has Word 2010 on it is currently being cranky about restarting.

Rick,

See also:
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/add-alternative-text-to-a-shape-picture-chart-smartart-graphic-or-other-object-44989b2a-903c-4d9a-b742-6a75b451c669#bkmk_o2010

http://accessproject.colostate.edu/udl/modules/word/tut_alt_text.php?display=pg_2

https://etc.usf.edu/techease/4all/web-accessibility/adding-alternate-text-to-images-in-microsoft-word-2010/

or

Add alt text to an image in Microsoft Word 2010 - elinks.ecc.edu

Rick Mladek

Hi Brian,

Tell me how to get to this context menu.

Rick

         I don't think this has changed since Word 2010, though I recently updated to Word 2016.  When you bring up the context menu, does it have an item in it for "Edit Alt Text"?   If it doesn't, what are the options?

         My one machine that still has Word 2010 on it is currently being cranky about restarting.

Rick Mladek

I had my son right click on the image. I immediately foundd the format picture button, went to the alt text tab and entered my description. Then hit ok and ta-da, all working. When I tried using the right click on the num-pad, I did not get the same choices as when my son used the mouse.

On Mon, Mar 18, 2019 at 03:57 PM, Rick Mladek wrote:
Tell me how to get to this context menu.

Like one always does after an object is selected. Hit the menu/applications key, or Shift+F10, or right click (or emulated right click).  One of those always works.

Rick Mladek

Yes, this I do know, your terminology of this menu bar is not one I have heard used previously. So, nothing within the menu-bar for alt-text. I attempted the applications key, as well and again, no format picture option. Not until my son used the mouse and right clicked and the options using this venue surely not the same as all attempted via the keyboard.

Thanks,

Rick

On Mon, Mar 18, 2019 at 03:57 PM, Rick Mladek wrote:

Tell me how to get to this context menu.

Like one always does after an object is selected. Hit the menu/applications key, or Shift+F10, or right click (or emulated right click).  One of those always works.

JM Casey

Not sure if this is your problem or not, but when you use the right mouse button on the numpad, you have to actually make sure your mouse pointer is in the right place to activate that particular item. With JAWS, that’s why it’s usually best to route the JAWS cursor to the PC one before pressing that simulated right mouse button (or, really, you could just use the actual right mouse button at this point yourself).

I don’t exactly know how this works with the touch cursor though because I am rarely in a position where I have to use it.

Yes, this I do know, your terminology of this menu bar is not one I have heard used previously. So, nothing within the menu-bar for alt-text. I attempted the applications key, as well and again, no format picture option. Not until my son used the mouse and right clicked and the options using this venue surely not the same as all attempted via the keyboard.

Thanks,

Rick

On Mon, Mar 18, 2019 at 03:57 PM, Rick Mladek wrote:

Tell me how to get to this context menu.

Like one always does after an object is selected. Hit the menu/applications key, or Shift+F10, or right click (or emulated right click).  One of those always works.

Rick Mladek

Hi,

Thank you, I do route as you mentioned… to no avail…

[...]

Hm, strange.

I know I was able to get to this in the past when I had to work with annotating some pictures, but I don’t have a word file to test it on at the moment.

[...]

          The only reason you would not get "format picture" showing up in a context menu is if a picture object is not selected.  Context menus are directly based upon, well, context - and the picture object must be checked before the context menu for same will appear when you hit SHIFT+F10, the context menu/applications key, or right click.

           As JM Casey has already noted, if actual or emulated right click is used, the mouse pointer itself must be hovering over the selected picture.  If it isn't, the moment the right click is performed focus shifts to wherever the actual system mouse pointer is located.  The context menu key and SHIFT+F10 are not dependent on mouse pointer position at all, only on what object is currently selected, so it a picture is currently selected the Format Picture is one of the items in the context menu that appears.

Rick Mladek

Sounds great but here is what I do, you tell me what I’m doing incorrect.

I arrow to the picture and then route the jaws kurser to the pc kurser. I hit the right mouse button, no format picture.

I arrow to the picture, I hit shift F10, and still no format picture option.

When I hear image when I am on the photo/picture, what key or keys do I hit so this will be correct?

[...]

Brian,

I’m obviously not understanding the English… you mentioned selecting… I got it… I have to “highlight” the picture and then hit shift F10. Then arrow down to the format picture option… all working… I either need a nap or more coffee lol. Thank you for your help, I do owe you one.

[...]

I am using "that other screen reader" for testing, as I cannot afford a full licensed copy of JAWS and haven't installed in 40 minute mode on this machine.

When I am in a Word document and have encountered a picture I hear "Graphic" announced, but that picture (graphic) is not selected just because I have focus on it.  It gets selected when I immediately hit SHIFT+Right Arrow after hearing Graphic.  At this point bringing up the context menu includes all items appropriate to a picture/image/graphic.

I would presume that selecting a pre-existing image in MS-Word 2010 using JAWS would be very, very similar.  When you originally insert an image it is already selected upon insert, until you navigate off/out of it.

Rick,

        I was posting my response, and actively playing with MS-Word and a document that included pictures, while you were typing your prior reply.  I am glad that all is now clear, so my post immediately before this one will no longer be of much use to you.