Topics

How can I copy a CD to my computer using Windows 10?

Lee Maschmeyer

Hi folks,

In Windows 7 and earlier I could use Windows Explorer or Media Player to copy my CDs to my computer using Ctrl+C to copy and Ctrl+V to paste. This appears not to work in Windows 10. I like Windows Media Player best. These are CDs I have purchased or copied from my LP's so storing them on my PC is legitimate. Anybody know how I can do this nowadays? I'd prefer not to have to learn a new program but that's an option I guess.

Thanks,

--

Lee Maschmeyer

"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to
others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what
you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."
--Lewis Carroll

Bill White

Hi, Lee. What media are you copying the CD's from? are you copying them from a drive, from your iPhone, etc?

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

In Windows 7 and earlier I could use Windows Explorer or Media Player to
copy my CDs to my computer using Ctrl+C to copy and Ctrl+V to paste.
This appears not to work in Windows 10. I like Windows Media Player
best. These are CDs I have purchased or copied from my LP's so storing
them on my PC is legitimate. Anybody know how I can do this nowadays?
I'd prefer not to have to learn a new program but that's an option I guess.

Thanks,

--

Lee Maschmeyer

"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to
others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what
you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."
--Lewis Carroll

Mario

I don't use WMP, but I'd imagine you'd have to set WPM to automatically
rip the tracks upon inserting the CD. I don't know how to do this in
WMP. sorry.

In Windows 7 and earlier I could use Windows Explorer or Media Player to
copy my CDs to my computer using Ctrl+C to copy and Ctrl+V to paste.
This appears not to work in Windows 10. I like Windows Media Player
best. These are CDs I have purchased or copied from my LP's so storing
them on my PC is legitimate. Anybody know how I can do this nowadays?
I'd prefer not to have to learn a new program but that's an option I guess.

Thanks,

Bill White

Hi, Mario and list. Below are the steps another JAWS user give for automatically ripping CD's with Windows Media Player:

Once Windows Media Player is up, and you know you have the CD that happens to be in the CD drive with focus in the Tree View:

1. ALT+T (Tools Menu), followed by O (Options).

2. In the Options dialog that opens up, navigate to the Rip CDs tab.

3. If you plan to do volume leveling with MP3 Gain on the MP3 Files generated, activate the Change button and select (or create) a specific folder where
you want to hold the raw MP3 Files. On my system I created a folder outside the Music Library, so it is really clear that anything in it is unleveled.
It makes it easier than trying to remember what you've leveled already that's in the Music Library if you've ripped a lot of CDs at one time. If not,
go straight to step 4.

4. In the Rip Settings Section, Format Dropdown, pick MP3.

5. If you want any music (or audio) CD you might ever insert to be automatically ripped if Windows Media Player is up and running before it is inserted,
check the checkbox for Rip CD Automatically.

6. If you want the CD ejected as soon as the rip is complete, and that's the easiest way to know that it is complete (or failed at some point, but that's
infrequent), check the checkbox for Eject CD after ripping.

7. Move the Audio Quality slider to the bit rate you want. There are 4 bit rates starting with 128Kbps for the smallest file size up through 320Kbps for
highest quality. For listening in other than audiophile settings 192Kbps is generally more than sufficient and this is the second level.

8. Activate the OK button.

If this is the first CD you've put in before doing the above, manually eject it and put it back in again so it begins automatically ripping.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

I don't use WMP, but I'd imagine you'd have to set WPM to automatically
rip the tracks upon inserting the CD. I don't know how to do this in
WMP. sorry.

In Windows 7 and earlier I could use Windows Explorer or Media Player to
copy my CDs to my computer using Ctrl+C to copy and Ctrl+V to paste.
This appears not to work in Windows 10. I like Windows Media Player
best. These are CDs I have purchased or copied from my LP's so storing
them on my PC is legitimate. Anybody know how I can do this nowadays?
I'd prefer not to have to learn a new program but that's an option I guess.

Thanks,

David Ingram

hi, how are you? You can do what they call rip a cd which is to take the songs that are on a cd and copy it to your computer. Yes you can do this in windows 10 go to windows media player and there is a tools menu that has rip as one of the choices. the cd will eject when the process is completed.

I don't use WMP, but I'd imagine you'd have to set WPM to automatically
rip the tracks upon inserting the CD. I don't know how to do this in
WMP. sorry.

In Windows 7 and earlier I could use Windows Explorer or Media Player to
copy my CDs to my computer using Ctrl+C to copy and Ctrl+V to paste.
This appears not to work in Windows 10. I like Windows Media Player
best. These are CDs I have purchased or copied from my LP's so storing
them on my PC is legitimate. Anybody know how I can do this nowadays?
I'd prefer not to have to learn a new program but that's an option I guess.

Thanks,

Coming in on this one late.  Here's the tutorial I wrote on this ages ago:

Mario

Brian, I'd like to copy the address of the link to your document for
future download, and usually Thunderbird does have a copy link location
command if I right click the link, but for some reason when I right
click the link in your post below, TB doesn't have the copy link
location command. do you know why, and can I please have the address for
my note?