Topics

sorting bookmarks in Google Chrome

Orlando Enrique Fiol

Hi all.

I have migrated all my Internet Explorer favorites to Chrome, moving them out of the Imported from Internet Explorer directory to the Bookmarks Bar. whenever I want to add a bookmark, I only hear a few of the folders I know are there. My list of available bookmark folders is both non alphabetically sorted and incomplete. Most times, there are only three or four folders out of the twenty that appear when I check the Organize Bookmarks dialogue with control+shift+O. What could be going on?
Many thanks,
Orlando Enrique Fiol
Ph.D. in Music Theory
University of Pennsylvania
Professional Pianist/Keyboardist, Percussionist, Arranger, Performer and Pedagogue
Home: (980) 585-1516
Mobile: (267) 971-7090
Email: ofiol@...

Orlando,

          The Bookmarks bar is virtually never "complete" if you've got lots of bookmarks.  It has a "more" double arrow button at the end.   I don't find the bookmarks bar to be particularly user friendly for screen reader users.  Using the Bookmarks Manager (which you do invoke via CTRL+SHIFT+O) as your main launch page for your bookmarks tends to be much easier.   I keep a few of my really commonly used bookmarks at the beginning of the bookmarks bar, but in general I rely either on browsing history or Bookmarks manager when I'm taking a deep dive into sites I use infrequently.

          Navigation of the Chrome Bookmarks manager is remarkably similar to File Explorer or any of the Open or Save dialogs where a folder tree is involved, only the folder tree in this case is the various bookmark folders.  When you combine that with the search box at the top, you can usually get to any bookmark folder or actual bookmark very, very quickly.  Once you have focus on it hitting enter opens it in its own tab or window depending on how you have Chrome configured.

Orlando Enrique Fiol

Hi Brian.
"Orlando,? ? ? ? The Bookmarks bar is virtually never "complete" if you've got lots of bookmarks.? It has a "more" double arrow button at the end.? I don't find the bookmarks bar to be particularly user friendly for screen reader users. Using the Bookmarks Manager (which you do invoke via CTRL+SHIFT+O) as your main launch page for your bookmarks tends to be much easier."
I know how to access the bookmark manager, but that doesn't help me save bookmarks in the folders where I want them to go.
"I keep a few of my really commonly used bookmarks at the beginning of the bookmarks bar, but in general I rely either on browsing history or Bookmarks manager when I'm taking a deep dive into sites I use infrequently."
I've been doing the same, but this is admittedly a big strike against Chrome in my estimation. I bookmark so many sites that I need them to be sorted into directories that I can remember.
Navigation of the Chrome Bookmarks manager is remarkably similar to File Explorer or any of the Open or Save dialogs where a folder tree is involved, only the folder tree in this case is the various bookmark folders.? When you combine that with the search box at the top, you can usually get to any bookmark folder or actual bookmark very, very quickly.? Once you have focus on it hitting enter opens it in its own tab or window depending on how you have Chrome configured."

That's all well and good. But it still doesn't address my concern about saving bookmarks in the folders I want.
Orlando Enrique Fiol
Ph.D. in Music Theory
University of Pennsylvania
Professional Pianist/Keyboardist, Percussionist, Arranger, Performer and Pedagogue
Home: (980) 585-1516
Mobile: (267) 971-7090
Email: ofiol@...

Orlando,

         When you create a bookmark with CTRL+D, the second item in the dialog is "Folder" where you can choose the folder in which you wish to place it from among your existing folders or create a new one.

         In Bookmarks Manager you can either use emulated drag and drop or, after bringing up the context menu for an existing bookmark, copying its URL, deleting it where it is, navigating to where you want it. then shift+TAB back to the Organize Bookmarks Menu button and create it anew using the URL you copied.

         Every web browser gives you the ability to create bookmarks where you want them in a folder hierarchy and move them around at will.

Dave...

Brian,

Yes, but it sure would be nice to just do a select all and then sort by name.

Dave

Sent: Sunday, March 17, 2019 07:47
Subject: Re: sorting bookmarks in Google Chrome

Orlando,

         When you create a bookmark with CTRL+D, the second item in the dialog is "Folder" where you can choose the folder in which you wish to place it from among your existing folders or create a new one.

         In Bookmarks Manager you can either use emulated drag and drop or, after bringing up the context menu for an existing bookmark, copying its URL, deleting it where it is, navigating to where you want it. then shift+TAB back to the Organize Bookmarks Menu button and create it anew using the URL you copied.

         Every web browser gives you the ability to create bookmarks where you want them in a folder hierarchy and move them around at will.

But, Dave, you can (within each folder, or by the folder names themselves - though I don't do the latter).

If you have one of your folders open, Shift+Tab your way back to the Organize Bookmarks menu button, activate it, and the first choice is "Sort by name"

If you have subfolders in a folder, just like in File Explorer, those will be sorted first in alphabetical order followed by all the individual bookmarks themselves, sorted in alphabetical order by the names you assigned them (as doing so by URL makes virtually no sense in the vast majority of cases).

Dave,

            Also, you don't select anything, as sorting for bookmarks within a folder is an all or nothing affair - either you want 'em all sorted or you want to leave them in whatever order they happen to be in.   If you keep adding bookmarks to the same folder after a sort, you'll want to sort again, as it doesn't impose the sort order upon insertion of new items.

Dave...

Brian,

Oh, I didn't pick that up from what you said earlier. Thanks.

Dave

Sent: Sunday, March 17, 2019 08:45

But, Dave, you can (within each folder, or by the folder names themselves - though I don't do the latter).

If you have one of your folders open, Shift+Tab your way back to the Organize Bookmarks menu button, activate it, and the first choice is "Sort by name"

If you have subfolders in a folder, just like in File Explorer, those will be sorted first in alphabetical order followed by all the individual bookmarks themselves, sorted in alphabetical order by the names you assigned them (as doing so by URL makes virtually no sense in the vast majority of cases).

Dave,

           I hadn't mentioned that specifically earlier.   I just found it myself this morning when I was noodling around with the Organize Bookmarks menu button.

           I figure that when folks open this sort of thing they'll at least take a look the first time to see what's there, even if that's not what they're going to use at the moment.  These programs are complex, and often the only way to find something is to noodle around and, when you manage to get a menu open, look at all of it.

           I tend to find that, months later, I'll say to myself, "I know I saw that somewhere," and even be able to use a web search to find where the specific feature is if I've forgotten its location.  What sticks is the fact that it exists.  If I suspect it should exist I'll do a web search on, say "Chrome sort bookmarks" and invariably I'll get multiple pages of tutorials for same.

Dave Mitchell

Brian, what you say is doubtless true but I submit that the blinding complexity of doing all of this by ear can be a cumulative waste of time and perhaps an irritant inversely proportional  to one’s  age.  Nonetheless our computers are often a needed connection to well, everything, so the help you and others provide is truly appreciated.  Mitch

On Sun, Mar 17, 2019 at 12:10 PM, Dave Mitchell wrote:
complexity of doing all of this by ear can be a cumulative waste of time and perhaps an irritant inversely proportional  to one’s  age.
It's funny to hear someone who routinely uses a screen reader say this, but it certainly matches how I've felt many times.  Having to deal with everything via hearing it is just not the same as being able to read it, regardless of the modality for reading.   When I first started out tutoring screen readers they almost drove me round the bend, and I see that happening with my clients who were formerly sighted, too.  I tell them it will be a long adjustment, but eventually you start applying certain auditory filtering much like one used to apply visual filtering.

Also, it's interesting to see how most of them, in the early days with a screen reader, are very hesitant to cut off speech.  With some of the newer synths these things sound almost like a person, and I think ingrained politeness comes to the fore.  It takes a while to get them used to the idea that they can, freely and without consequence or insult, cut off screen reader speech whenever they please.

Tyler Wood

Hi,

Sorry to jump in late here. I think I deleted the rest of this thread so perhaps am missing something. When using the bookmarks manager (hence MANAGING the bookmarks), there is no way to organize them into folders?

Perhaps exporting the html, removing all bookmarks and starting over? That would be a huge process...

On 2019-03-17 12:22 p.m., Brian Vogel wrote:
[...]

paul lemm

Hi Orlando,

Personally, I bring up the bookmarks in Chrome  by holding Alt and then pressing F, then release  both keys and press  B.  I find that the quickest method for me, plus it feels most like IE’s  old favourites bookmarks which I like. But when you are in this bookmark menu you can right click a bookmark , select cut then go to the folder you want it in and paste there. I find this helpful if I’ve just added a quick bookmark without assigning it a folder since its at the bottom of my bookmarks list and I can just then cut and paste it into the folder I want it if I decide to keep the bookmark and want to file/organise it away in  some folder in my bookmarks list.

Paul

         When you create a bookmark with CTRL+D, the second item in the dialog is "Folder" where you can choose the folder in which you wish to place it from among your existing folders or create a new one.

         In Bookmarks Manager you can either use emulated drag and drop or, after bringing up the context menu for an existing bookmark, copying its URL, deleting it where it is, navigating to where you want it. then shift+TAB back to the Organize Bookmarks Menu button and create it anew using the URL you copied.

         Every web browser gives you the ability to create bookmarks where you want them in a folder hierarchy and move them around at will.

Tyler,

           The Organize Bookmarks menu button, which can be accessed by SHIFT+TAB from anywhere in the folder tree (2 times if your within a folder list itself) presents the following six items when you down arrow once you have focus on it:

Sort by name
Add new bookmark
Add new folder
Import bookmarks
Export bookmarks
Help Center

When you are actually resting on any given folder or bookmark you can use cut (CTRL+X) to pick it up for moving and paste (CTRL+V) when you have focus on the folder in which you wish to place it  or are in the items list for that folder.   True drag and drop works, too, but I am not having much success with emulated drag and drop in this instance, and cut and paste works (which is a better way of moving a bookmark from place to place than my earlier recommendation to copy URL, delete existing, create new, and paste URL).  Live and learn.

Tyler Wood

Hi,

Thank you so much for this information.

I'll be giving this a look.

Tyler,

At 10:47 AM 3/17/2019, Brian Vogel wrote:
Orlando,
When you create a bookmark with CTRL+D, the second item
in the dialog is "Folder" where you can choose the folder in which you
wish to place it from among your existing folders or create a new one.
I know that. I'm saying that it is precisely in the second portion of that dialogue where I would expect all my bookmarks folders to appear, sorted alphabetically. In fact, there are only a few of those folders, randomly sorted.

In Bookmarks Manager you can either use emulated drag
and drop or, after bringing up the context menu for an existing
bookmark, copying its URL, deleting it where it is, navigating to
where you want it. then shift+TAB back to the Organize Bookmarks Menu
button and create it anew using the URL you copied.
Doesn't that seem like a lot of unnecessary work? Internet Explorer and Edge present me with all my favorites folders. Adding a new URL to any folder is as easy as selecting that folder from a combo box.

Every web browser gives you the ability to create
bookmarks where you want them in a folder hierarchy and move them
around at will.
That is absolutely not true in Chrome. Chrome's bookmarks dialogue only presents me with four to six folders out of 24, which means I must save a bookmark in a temporary location, then go into the organize bookmarks dialogue and move it. At least, that works.

Orlando Enrique Fiol
Ph.D. in Music Theory
University of Pennsylvania
Professional Pianist/Keyboardist, Percussionist, Arranger, Performer and Pedagogue
Home: (980) 585-1516
Mobile: (267) 971-7090
Email: ofiol@...

Larry Wayland

Thanks for this Paul.

I was trying to deal with book marks just last night in Croam and this was exactly what I was needing.

[...]

           I do not know what you are actually doing, but your assertions are incorrect, plain and simple.  If you have nested folders, those will not be presented in the simple dropdown after hitting CTRL+D to create a bookmark, you have to select the top level folder from that short list then hit the More button in the same dialog, which opens a full blown navigator dialog for your bookmarks folder structure.

           Like most things on Windows, there are multiple methods to do what you're doing, but the more complex your folder structure the less that can be initially exposed in the "short version" of the pop-up dialog for creating a bookmark.  You have to use the More button when you want to drill down.

           I've already revised my earlier advice with regard to a 4-step process to relocate a bookmark to use copy and paste instead.

Curtis Delzer

one thought I had was that the "favorites" folder in IE you can just put on the desktop and go into it when you wish to find a web site you wish to visit without typing it in as such and clicking on it there, what about the favorites or "book marks" we save in Chrome? is that possible there too?

Curtis Delzer
HS
W B 6 H E F
Rialto, CA

Sent: Sunday, March 17, 2019 08:45

But, Dave, you can (within each folder, or by the folder names themselves - though I don't do the latter).

If you have one of your folders open, Shift+Tab your way back to the Organize Bookmarks menu button, activate it, and the first choice is "Sort by name"

If you have subfolders in a folder, just like in File Explorer, those will be sorted first in alphabetical order followed by all the individual bookmarks themselves, sorted in alphabetical order by the names you assigned them (as doing so by URL makes virtually no sense in the vast majority of cases).

Andrew J. LaPointe

    Hi, I know that this is not about book marks but, it is the only way I have to ask.  I have google crome and I need to get the short cut to make google crome my default browser... Fire Fox loads when I click on to an email or some other link.  Can you help??  Thanks so much, Andy and Shubert