From: Chris Hill <hillco@earthlink.net>
Sent: Friday, March 15, 2019 9:22 AM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Rearranging icons on the taskbar.

I tried using drag and drop. Although it made the appropriate noises on my windows 10 computer, it didn't actually work. If you want to do this the simplest way I can think of, do the following.
unpin everything from the taskbar by right-clicking or the equivalent on each item and choosing unpin. Now, open the run box with windows+r and type shell:appsvolder and press enter. This will open a folder with shortcuts to all your apps. Do the equivalent of right click and pin any you want on the taskbar in the order in which you want them.

CH

Chris Hill

If I‘M reading that right you are running the spring 2017 update. Might be time to do some updating. That’s probably why it is still working for you.

CH

On Mar 15, 2019, at 10:40, Don Mauck <don.mauck@oracle.com> wrote:

I don't know why I can do this quite easily and others can't. I'm using Microsoft® Windows® Operating System Version 10.0.17134.1
Would that make a difference?
I tried using drag and drop. Although it made the appropriate noises on my windows 10 computer, it didn't actually work. If you want to do this the simplest way I can think of, do the following.
unpin everything from the taskbar by right-clicking or the equivalent on each item and choosing unpin. Now, open the run box with windows+r and type shell:appsvolder and press enter. This will open a folder with shortcuts to all your apps. Do the equivalent of right click and pin any you want on the taskbar in the order in which you want them.

CH

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Chris. What I want to do is rearrange things in System Tray, not actually in the Taskbar, so unpinning things in the Taskbar won't work in this instance. What is actually happening is that I used to have an icon for Eset NOD32, my antivirus program, which was one of the first icons in System Tray. Now, in order to find this icon I must turn on all icons in System Tray, or, use the Notification Icon to go to the overflow section of icons in System Tray. What I want to do is rearrange the icons so that the Eset NOD32 icon is where it used to be.

Bill White

billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

I tried using drag and drop. Although it made the appropriate noises on
my windows 10 computer, it didn't actually work. If you want to do this
the simplest way I can think of, do the following.
unpin everything from the taskbar by right-clicking or the equivalent on
each item and choosing unpin. Now, open the run box with windows+r and
type shell:appsvolder and press enter. This will open a folder with
shortcuts to all your apps. Do the equivalent of right click and pin
any you want on the taskbar in the order in which you want them.

CH

It is helpful, truly, if Windows 10 version and build are both expressed separately, and from the dialog given by the winver command.

Anything that's got 17134 in the mix is part of Version 1803.  That version and build are wed to each other.   There are still a lot of machines that have not yet received the fall update from last year, although the pace of the rollout picked up an amazing amount of speed about a month ago after having been glacially slow by intent after the early debacles in the rollout.

Don Mauck

I can only use what Oracle gives me.

I tried using drag and drop. Although it made the appropriate noises on my windows 10 computer, it didn't actually work. If you want to do this the simplest way I can think of, do the following.
unpin everything from the taskbar by right-clicking or the equivalent on each item and choosing unpin. Now, open the run box with windows+r and type shell:appsvolder and press enter. This will open a folder with shortcuts to all your apps. Do the equivalent of right click and pin any you want on the taskbar in the order in which you want them.

CH

Bill,

          If order does not matter as far as where the Eset icon would be constantly visible in the system tray, the easiest thing to do is to open Settings, search on "Select which icons," which will turn up the setting for, "Select which icons appear on the taskbar"  (and, in this case, it's the notification area/system tray area of the taskbar), then finding Eset in the dialog presented and toggling it on.  Anything that gets toggled on in that dialog will be permanently visible in the system tray rather than being pushed to the overflow area which one must access via the notification chevron.

          I have yet to find a technique that allows drag and drop rearrangement of the icons that are shown in the system tray using a screen reader, though one can rearrange them via actual mouse drag and drop.

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Don. If you use the Windows key plus R command, and type in winver, you should get a dialog which has the following format:

Microsoft Windows
Version 1809
(OS Build 17763.379)

As you can see, the version number is designated, along with the build number.

Bill White

billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

I tried using drag and drop. Although it made the appropriate noises on my windows 10 computer, it didn't actually work. If you want to do this the simplest way I can think of, do the following.
unpin everything from the taskbar by right-clicking or the equivalent on each item and choosing unpin. Now, open the run box with windows+r and type shell:appsvolder and press enter. This will open a folder with shortcuts to all your apps. Do the equivalent of right click and pin any you want on the taskbar in the order in which you want them.

CH

Mike B.

Hi Chris & All,

I'm running Windows 10 Pro Version 1809 (OS Build 17763.379), and drag & drop works just fine with this latest J2019 update.  I only tried it by moving Taskbar icons around since that's all I use drag and drop for.

If I‘M reading that right you are running the spring 2017 update.  Might be time to do some updating.  That’s probably why it is still working for you.

CH
> On Mar 15, 2019, at 10:40, Don Mauck <don.mauck@...> wrote:
>
> I don't know why I can do this quite easily and others can't. I'm using Microsoft® Windows® Operating System Version 10.0.17134.1
> Would that make a difference?

Mike B.

Hi Bill & All,

Here's how I rearrange the system tray icons  running Windows 10 Pro Version 1809 (OS Build 17763.379) & all installed versions of Jaws.
1. Windows key + I, for Settings, tab 1 time to System, right arrow to Personalization, and press enter.
2. Navigate to, Taskbar and press enter.
3. Tab several times to, Select which icons appear on the taskbar Link, and press enter.
4. Okay now to put the System Tray in the order you want it in.  Tab through all the icons making a note of which ones you have checked / turned on because you're going to uncheck all of them.
5. Uncheck all the icons.  Now you will go through and check the icons in the order you want them in but keep in mind, they will appear in the reverse order that they are checked.  What I mean is, the 1st one yu check will be at the bottom of the list, the 2nd will be 2nd from the bottom, the 3rd will be 3rd from the bottom etc. etc....  After you're done open the system tray to make sure it's the way you want it and Alt + F4 if it is.

[...]

Robert Logue

Hey Don.  Which screen reader?

I could not make drag and drop work with Jaws in the past.  I have not tried NVDA and I don't know if Narrator supports drag and drop.

BTW: I heard the latest update to Jaws changed support for drag and drop.

I wish Windows had a more accessible way to rearrange the taskbar.

It wouldn't hurt them to add numbers.  I have to count and remember the order to use the windows key and number shortcut.

Bob

On 2019-03-15 9:40 a.m., Don Mauck wrote:

I don't know why I can do this quite easily and others can't. I'm using Microsoft® Windows® Operating System Version 10.0.17134.1
Would that make a difference?
I tried using drag and drop. Although it made the appropriate noises on my windows 10 computer, it didn't actually work. If you want to do this the simplest way I can think of, do the following.
unpin everything from the taskbar by right-clicking or the equivalent on each item and choosing unpin. Now, open the run box with windows+r and type shell:appsvolder and press enter. This will open a folder with shortcuts to all your apps. Do the equivalent of right click and pin any you want on the taskbar in the order in which you want them.

CH

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Brian. The Esset icon is already on, and it always comes up in the overflow area. The only way I can get it to display with JAWS Key plus F11, or Windows plus B, without going into the overflow area is to invoke the link that says turn on all icons in system tray.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

          If order does not matter as far as where the Eset icon would be constantly visible in the system tray, the easiest thing to do is to open Settings, search on "Select which icons," which will turn up the setting for, "Select which icons appear on the taskbar"  (and, in this case, it's the notification area/system tray area of the taskbar), then finding Eset in the dialog presented and toggling it on.  Anything that gets toggled on in that dialog will be permanently visible in the system tray rather than being pushed to the overflow area which one must access via the notification chevron.

          I have yet to find a technique that allows drag and drop rearrangement of the icons that are shown in the system tray using a screen reader, though one can rearrange them via actual mouse drag and drop.

Bill,

           Very strange.   I would report this to the Eset people and to Microsoft via the feedback hub.  I have never once had an icon that I turn on in the dialog I referenced be pushed into the overflow area.  Its very reason for being is to prevent that, so something's amiss in this case.

           Of course, I only keep 6 really essential bits constantly showing in the main system tray.  Anything else I let get pushed into the overflow area and get to it in there on the odd occasion I want to check it.

Curtis Delzer

AM I GLAD TO HEAR THIS! Seems to me if the other were true, they'd be doing a step backwards instead of forwards. when I did and do need it, OK, but to have it and then been taken away with a product which costs a thousand bux, no way Jose.

--

Curtis Delzer
HS

Steve Nutt

That's a bit of a faf, if all you want to do is move one icon.

All the best

Steve

I tried using drag and drop. Although it made the appropriate noises on my windows 10 computer, it didn't actually work. If you want to do this the simplest way I can think of, do the following.
unpin everything from the taskbar by right-clicking or the equivalent on each item and choosing unpin. Now, open the run box with windows+r and type shell:appsvolder and press enter. This will open a folder with shortcuts to all your apps. Do the equivalent of right click and pin any you want on the taskbar in the order in which you want them.

CH

Steve Nutt

To me, it doesn’t matter which order the System Tray icons are, simply because I use JAWS key and F11 to bring up the list of System Tray icons, then press the first letter.  That’s a bit easier than worrying about order, isn’t it?

All the best

Steve

[...]

Bill, why is it a problem to have them all turned on?  Then just use JAWS and F11 and be happy.

All the best

Steve