Picture smart

Jay <jcoffin@...>

Hi.

As you all are probably aware, a new version of jaws was released yesterday, and I have a question about the Picture Smart feature. Can this make it easier for us to solve those captias we’ve spent years on battling?

Thanks.

James Homuth

In theory, yes, that is if the OCR feature lives up to the hyp. I suppose the only way to know is to try it out.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jay
Sent: March-14-19 6:23 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Picture smart

Hi.

As you all are probably aware, a new version of jaws was released yesterday, and I have a question about the Picture Smart feature. Can this make it easier for us to solve those captias we’ve spent years on battling?

Thanks.

Richard Turner

If an automated system could solve those annoying captchas, don’t you think bots would have render them useless by now?

They are very difficult for sighted people to work out and often take several attempts.  My wife, who has 20/20 vision has trouble with them.

I doubt a feature like this Picture Smart is going to do much, besides, you would have to figure out from the entire screen which part of it was the captcha.

I think our energy is better put toward convincing web site developers who do not provide a useful audio challenge to switch to a system that is logic based, or a math problem, etc.

Just my two cents worth.

Richard

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of James Homuth
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2019 3:25 AM
Subject: Re: Picture smart

In theory, yes, that is if the OCR feature lives up to the hyp. I suppose the only way to know is to try it out.

Hi.

Thanks.

Mario

I agree.

-------- Original Message --------
From: Richard Turner [mailto:richardturner42@outlook.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2019, 9:33 AM

If an automated system could solve those annoying captchas, don’t you
think bots would have render them useless by now?

They are very difficult for sighted people to work out and often take
several attempts.  My wife, who has 20/20 vision has trouble with them.

I doubt a feature like this Picture Smart is going to do much, besides,
you would have to figure out from the entire screen which part of it was
the captcha.

I think our energy is better put toward convincing web site developers
who do not provide a useful audio challenge to switch to a system that
is logic based, or a math problem, etc.

Just my two cents worth.

Richard

*From:* main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> *On Behalf Of *James Homuth
*Sent:* Thursday, March 14, 2019 3:25 AM
*To:* main@jfw.groups.io
*Subject:* Re: Picture smart

In theory, yes, that is if the OCR feature lives up to the hyp. I
suppose the only way to know is to try it out.

<main@jfw.groups.io <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>> *On Behalf Of *Jay
*Sent:* March-14-19 6:23 AM
*To:* main@jfw.groups.io <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>
*Subject:* Picture smart

Hi.

As you all are probably aware, a new version of jaws was released
yesterday, and I have a question about the Picture Smart feature. Can
this make it easier for us to solve those captias we’ve spent years on
battling?

Thanks.

Lino Morales

I have my doubts Jay. Those letters/numbers/whatever they use from what I understand sighted people can’t make out.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> on behalf of Jay <jcoffin@...>
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2019 6:22:30 AM

Hi.

Thanks.

Dave...

Works for me, and it's very intriguing.

Dave
Oregonite, woodworker, Engineer, Musician, and Pioneer

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2019 08:20

I have my doubts Jay. Those letters/numbers/whatever they use from what I understand sighted people can’t make out.

Hi.

Thanks.

george b <gbmagoo@...>

Dave how did you get this to work

When I do the insert space bar p then I get no choices

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave...
Sent: March 14, 2019 19:05

Dave

Hi.

Thanks.

Dave...

George,

To get help, press the question mark after Insert+Spacebar, P.

Dave

Sent: Friday, March 15, 2019 04:17

Dave

Hi.

Thanks.

Panagiotis Antonopoulos

Hi George/all,

First you need to be on the file’s name on file explorer. Will not work on an open file. By pressing insert-spacebar, you will hear “picture”, then you press the letter f and you hear something like “file in progress” till it starts making its description. It also appears on the screen together with the actual photo, a sighted person can also see the description, and it also appears on a Braille display.

Hope this is of help,

Takis

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of george b
Sent: Friday, March 15, 2019 1:17 PM

Dave

Hi.

Thanks.

Oliver Edholm

Hi! Sorry for plugging in NVDA here. There is an add-on called "Image describer" for NVDA that does these things, would it be useful if it also was transferred to a JAWS script? Regards, Oliver

Dave...

Oliver,

Not sure if we need to import a script, if JAWS now carries this capability with the latest version.

Dave

Sent: Friday, March 15, 2019 05:03

Hi! Sorry for plugging in NVDA here. There is an add-on called "Image describer" for NVDA that does these things, would it be useful if it also was transferred to a JAWS script? Regards, Oliver

Curtis Delzer

works very nicely!

On 3/15/2019 8:44 AM, Panagiotis Antonopoulos wrote:

Hi George/all,

First you need to be on the file’s name on file explorer. Will not work on an open file. By pressing insert-spacebar, you will hear “picture”, then you press the letter f and you hear something like “file in progress” till it starts making its description. It also appears on the screen together with the actual photo, a sighted person can also see the description, and it also appears on a Braille display.

Hope this is of help,

Takis

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of george b
Sent: Friday, March 15, 2019 1:17 PM

Dave

Hi.

Thanks.

-- 

Curtis Delzer 
HS
W B 6 H E F
Rialto, CA

Michael Munn

You can say that. The picture Smart really did a good job on describing it. 
Thanks for asking. 
best regards 
Michael Munn 

Michael Munn
Member: Virginia Association of Blind students
 National Federation of the Blind of   Virginia   www.nfbv.org
Member: Maryland Association of Blind Students
National Federation of the Blind of  Maryland www.nfbmd.org
Students of: Hadley Institute of the Blind

On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 6:25 AM James Homuth <james@...> wrote:

Hi.

Thanks.