Another excel question: how to autofill a column

Kimber Gardner

At least I think that's what I want to do.

I have several columns on my spreadsheet where I want to repeat a
certain pattern or formula. For example, I want to replicate the date
in the first column beginning with 11/01/2016 and continuing through
04/01/2017. But I don't want to type in all these dates. Googling
produces instructions for accomplishing this task with the mouse but
nothing with keystrokes.

In another column I have a formula that will change slightly depending
on the coordinates of the cells being calculated even though the
pattern of the formula stays the same. Is it possible to replicate the
formula in the same way as I am doing with the dates?

I hope these questions are clear.

Thanks in advance for the help.

--
Kimberly

Ann Byrne

The starter keystroke for fill in series is alt+h, then f, i, s. You have to select the cells you want to fill, including the one that starts the series. the cells other than the first one must be blank.

Tabbing through the resultant dialog box:
step value is 1 (or however many days you want).
columns, not rows.
where it says linear, arrow down to date.
The next box says day, week, etc.

Once you have chosen all those things, tab to okay and you're in business.

good luck!

Dale Alton <blinkydale@...>

To fill an area with the same formula: highlight the area to fill down is control+d and to fill right is control+r. So your formula you want to fill the rest of the cells with will be your first cell highlighted. Iff this is clear as mud let me know and I will try to explain better.

Denver Dale

At least I think that's what I want to do.

I have several columns on my spreadsheet where I want to repeat a certain pattern or formula. For example, I want to replicate the date in the first column beginning with 11/01/2016 and continuing through 04/01/2017. But I don't want to type in all these dates. Googling produces instructions for accomplishing this task with the mouse but nothing with keystrokes.

In another column I have a formula that will change slightly depending on the coordinates of the cells being calculated even though the pattern of the formula stays the same. Is it possible to replicate the formula in the same way as I am doing with the dates?

I hope these questions are clear.

Thanks in advance for the help.

--
Kimberly

Steve Griffiths

Hi Kimber,

The keystrokes Dale give replicate what's in the cell above or to the left. But the autofill feature can create a series, which you'll need to get the list of increasing dates you want.

The way to do it is to fill in at least two consecutive dates, e.g. 11/01/2016 in A1 and 12/02/2016 in A2. Then select all the cells that you want to autofill. In your case that would be from A1 to about A365.

Then you need to go to the Home tab of the ribbon, choose Fill and you'll get a list, choose Series and a dialogue will open. The keytips are Alt, H, F, I, S. Note you have to press F I to get Fill.

On the dialogue, either Tab to the Type radio buttons and arrow to Autofill, or press Alt + F to select it straight away.

Press Enter to complete the process and the dialogue will close. The cells will still be selected, so use an arrow key to unselect them and put focus on a single cell. But you'll find you have 365 cells with dates increasing.

The same technique can be used with formulas, so give it a go and let us know how you get on!

Steve

[...]

Registered Office: Hillfields, Burghfield Common, Reading, Berkshire, RG7 3YG. A company limited by
guarantee registered in England and Wales (291646) and a charity registered in England and Wales
(209617) and Scotland (SC038979).

Tel: 0118 9835555
Website: www.guidedogs.org.uk
Email: guidedogs@guidedogs.org.uk

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Right on, Steve, it works, and the instructions are far better than you usually get in the Microsoft No-Help System. The formula application is especially welcome. I've been a spreadsheet believer since I began using one to enter and process grades around 1990, but my skills have atrophied (they certainly have not increased), as I now use spreadsheets mostly for simple tabular work.

Ted

[...]

The Guide Dogs for the Blind Association Registered Office: Hillfields, Burghfield Common, Reading, Berkshire, RG7 3YG. A company limited by guarantee registered in England and Wales (291646) and a charity registered in England and Wales
(209617) and Scotland (SC038979).

Tel: 0118 9835555
Website: www.guidedogs.org.uk
Email: guidedogs@guidedogs.org.uk

Kevin Hourigan <kevinthourigan@...>

Hello Steve,
Below are instructions from the FS Paid Webinar.
Cheers Kevin.
1. Move to an empty cell in the worksheet. I will move the cursor to cell A5, the beginning of the fifth row.
2. Type in the word January.
3. Hold down the SHIFT key and press RIGHT ARROW eleven times to select the range for the names of the months for the rest of the year.
4. Home tab of the ribbon, ALT+H
5. Location: Editing group of the lower ribbon
6. Fill button dropdown, FI
7. Series, S. The Series dialog box opens. Focus is in the step value edit box.
8. Press ALT+F to select the AutoFill radio button, and then press ENTER to activate the OK button. The dialog box closes and Excel has typed in the months
of the year for you in the selected range.
list end