Tablet mode

thomas williams

I have accidentally, switch my computer to tablet mode, how do I switch it back to desktop? Thanks in advance

Steve Griffiths

If this is Windows 10, try Windows + A for the action centre, then Tab to the tablet mode option and Space to toggle it off.

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of thomas williams
Sent: 02 November 2016 09:01
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Tablet mode

I have accidentally, switch my computer to tablet mode, how do I switch it back to desktop? Thanks in advance

The Guide Dogs for the Blind Association
Registered Office: Hillfields, Burghfield Common, Reading, Berkshire, RG7 3YG. A company limited by
guarantee registered in England and Wales (291646) and a charity registered in England and Wales
(209617) and Scotland (SC038979).

Tel: 0118 9835555
Email: guidedogs@guidedogs.org.uk

thomas williams

Thank you.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Steve Griffiths
Sent: Wednesday, November 2, 2016 5:56 AM
Subject: Re: Tablet mode

If this is Windows 10, try Windows + A for the action centre, then Tab to the tablet mode option and Space to toggle it off.

Steve

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of thomas williams

The Guide Dogs for the Blind Association Registered Office: Hillfields, Burghfield Common, Reading, Berkshire, RG7 3YG. A company limited by guarantee registered in England and Wales (291646) and a charity registered in England and Wales

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

Those who have a tablet or convertible, what exactly does tablet mode do over desktop mode? I just bought a new laptop, it's a Linovo Flex 3 which has a screen that can flip all the way around at which point the keyboard is disabled and you can use it as a tablet. I am very curious as to how efficient that is with Jaws especially in situations where maybe I just want to read emails or consume other content without having to type a lot.

Regards,
Sieghard

Sent: Wednesday, November 2, 2016 2:11 PM

Thank you.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Steve Griffiths

Steve

The Guide Dogs for the Blind Association Registered Office: Hillfields, Burghfield Common, Reading, Berkshire, RG7 3YG. A company limited by guarantee registered in England and Wales (291646) and a charity registered in England and Wales

Nesma Aly <nesmaaly123@...>

What is tablit mode?

Sent: Wednesday, November 2, 2016 5:11 PM

Thank you.

Steve

Hi,
Applies to Windows 10: Tablet mode changes Windows 10 UI to match closely that of Windows 8.x days. With this mode active, Start menu becomes a world of tiles, a "back" button is added to Taskbar, and overall UI becomes touch-friendly.
Cheers,
Joseph

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Nesma Aly
Sent: Wednesday, November 2, 2016 3:06 PM

What is tablit mode?

Thank you.

Steve

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for that summary. Are you or have you used a touch capable device, either laptop or tablet? I am just wondering how well or not well it works with Jaws although my wife is sighted and also would use the laptop and probably enjoy the touch screen. I am actually reconsidering the Linovo Flex 3 convertible laptop as the reviews are not all that great. It has an I7 6500U CPU which is as far as I can tell a sixth generation Skylake processor, but I looked around a bit more and sort of fell in love with a 15.6 Asus Zenbook, still has a full keyboard and it's not an Ultra Book at 5 pounds, but the Linovo has only 8 Gb of DDR3 RAM, I wanted to put in another 8 Gb and the store then told me there is only 1 slot and they didn't have a 16 Gb stick in stock. I happen to have an Intel 480 Gb SSD which I was getting the store to put in to replace the included 1 Tb 5400 HDD.
The Asus Zenbook comes with 16 Gb of DDR4 RAM, it already has a 512 Gb ultra-fast SSD and the 6-cell battery has twice the capacityover that of the Linovo. In addition to that it has a 4K touch display which again would benefit my wife. I also think the keyboard is nicer, the Linovo keyboard layout is very cluttered, the Insert/Jaws key on the numeric pad is regular size and directly under the 2, under the 1 is already the right arrow key and there are zero gaps or spaces anywhere on that keyboard.
Of course the Asus is double the price, but I am buying it through my business and could justify it, it also has a USB-C port as well as a Thunderbolt USB-C style port, not sure if I would use it, but hopefully this will again last me another 5 or 6 years so who knows..

Take care,
Sieghard

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: Wednesday, November 2, 2016 6:29 PM

Hi,
Applies to Windows 10: Tablet mode changes Windows 10 UI to match closely that of Windows 8.x days. With this mode active, Start menu becomes a world of tiles, a "back" button is added to Taskbar, and overall UI becomes touch-friendly.
Cheers,
Joseph

What is tablit mode?

Thank you.

Steve

Hi,
Currently I use a Toshiba Satellite (custom built) with a touchscreen with JAWS and other screen readers on it. At the moment you can do certain things with touch alone, but there are times when you may need hardware keyboard such as when typing long text (speech recognition is not up there yet).
Cheers,
Joseph

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Wednesday, November 2, 2016 9:39 PM

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for that summary. Are you or have you used a touch capable device, either laptop or tablet? I am just wondering how well or not well it works with Jaws although my wife is sighted and also would use the laptop and probably enjoy the touch screen. I am actually reconsidering the Linovo Flex 3 convertible laptop as the reviews are not all that great. It has an I7 6500U CPU which is as far as I can tell a sixth generation Skylake processor, but I looked around a bit more and sort of fell in love with a 15.6 Asus Zenbook, still has a full keyboard and it's not an Ultra Book at 5 pounds, but the Linovo has only 8 Gb of DDR3 RAM, I wanted to put in another 8 Gb and the store then told me there is only 1 slot and they didn't have a 16 Gb stick in stock. I happen to have an Intel 480 Gb SSD which I was getting the store to put in to replace the included 1 Tb 5400 HDD.
The Asus Zenbook comes with 16 Gb of DDR4 RAM, it already has a 512 Gb ultra-fast SSD and the 6-cell battery has twice the capacityover that of the Linovo. In addition to that it has a 4K touch display which again would benefit my wife. I also think the keyboard is nicer, the Linovo keyboard layout is very cluttered, the Insert/Jaws key on the numeric pad is regular size and directly under the 2, under the 1 is already the right arrow key and there are zero gaps or spaces anywhere on that keyboard.
Of course the Asus is double the price, but I am buying it through my business and could justify it, it also has a USB-C port as well as a Thunderbolt USB-C style port, not sure if I would use it, but hopefully this will again last me another 5 or 6 years so who knows..

Take care,
Sieghard

Hi,
Cheers,
Joseph

What is tablit mode?

Thank you.

Steve

Merv Keck <blind5sparrow@...>

Hi,
I am sitting here now in front of a 30 inch Dell All in One desktop touch screen running Jaws 17. It works great. I only get to play with it once in a while because it is in my Computer lab where I teach. But it works pretty well with Jaws 17. I don't know about 18 yet.

On Nov 3, 2016, at 12:47 AM, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,
Currently I use a Toshiba Satellite (custom built) with a touchscreen with JAWS and other screen readers on it. At the moment you can do certain things with touch alone, but there are times when you may need hardware keyboard such as when typing long text (speech recognition is not up there yet).
Cheers,
Joseph

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Wednesday, November 2, 2016 9:39 PM

Hi Joseph,

Take care,
Sieghard

Hi,
Cheers,
Joseph

What is tablit mode?

Thank you.

Steve