Topics

turning off announcement of...

Mario

my friend is using Windows 10 with JAWS 2018 and locks his keyboard
occasionally to prevent accidental presses of keys while he's not using
it for a while, and wants to know if there's a way to disable/turn
off/suppress the announcement on what to press to unlock the keyboard.
he looked at the quick settings but didn't find such a setting. he also
disabled the announcement of tutor messages, figuring the announcement
might be a tutor message, and did unload and reload JAWS, but the
message was still being announced. anyone have an idea?

Ben Humphreys <brhbrhbrh@...>

Hi Mario,

One strategy is to use the JAWS Dictionary Manager to substitute a space for the text that annoys you.

For example, here's one I find annoying and have added to my JAWS default dictionary:
"Type the name of a program, folder, document, or Internet resource," to " "

When the messages are long, it's most reliable when you break them up into smaller chunks.

The Speech History command is good for viewing what exactly is being spoken so you can create a proper substitution in the JAWS Dictionary Manager.

Hope this helps,

Ben

At 12:49 PM 3/8/2019, you wrote:
my friend is using Windows 10 with JAWS 2018 and locks his keyboard
occasionally to prevent accidental presses of keys while he's not using
it for a while, and wants to know if there's a way to disable/turn
off/suppress the announcement on what to press to unlock the keyboard.
he looked at the quick settings but didn't find such a setting. he also
disabled the announcement of tutor messages, figuring the announcement
might be a tutor message, and did unload and reload JAWS, but the
message was still being announced. anyone have an idea?

Mario

he just tried it but it didn't work. he made the entry in the default
dictionary and even unloaded/reloaded JAWS, and after the keyboard is
locked, the announcement of what to press is still spoken.

how would he split up the announcement as you specified? give an example
using this announcement he doesn't want.

One strategy is to use the JAWS Dictionary Manager to substitute a space
for the text that annoys you.

For example, here's one I find annoying and have added to my JAWS
default dictionary:
"Type the name of a program, folder, document, or Internet resource," to
" "

At 12:49 PM 3/8/2019, you wrote:
my friend is using Windows 10 with JAWS 2018 and locks his keyboard
occasionally to prevent accidental presses of keys while he's not using
it for a while, and wants to know if there's a way to disable/turn
off/suppress the announcement on what to press to unlock the keyboard.
he looked at the quick settings but didn't find such a setting. he also
disabled the announcement of tutor messages, figuring the announcement
might be a tutor message, and did unload and reload JAWS, but the
message was still being announced. anyone have an idea?

.

Richard Turner

So, does he not use a password?

Richard

At 12:49 PM 3/8/2019, you wrote:
my friend is using Windows 10 with JAWS 2018 and locks his keyboard occasionally to prevent accidental presses of keys while he's not using it for a while, and wants to know if there's a way to disable/turn off/suppress the announcement on what to press to unlock the keyboard.
he looked at the quick settings but didn't find such a setting. he also disabled the announcement of tutor messages, figuring the announcement might be a tutor message, and did unload and reload JAWS, but the message was still being announced. anyone have an idea?

.

Mario

no. he just wants to prevent accidental potential disasters from
happening when he leaves the computer running for a while unattended, in
case something bumps a few keys, curious home members, etc.

does anyone know if this message actually displays on the screen when a
key is pressed after the keyboard is locked? I'm thinking it isn't.

At 12:49 PM 3/8/2019, you wrote:
my friend is using Windows 10 with JAWS 2018 and locks his keyboard
occasionally to prevent accidental presses of keys while he's not using
it for a while, and wants to know if there's a way to disable/turn
off/suppress the announcement on what to press to unlock the keyboard.
he looked at the quick settings but didn't find such a setting. he also
disabled the announcement of tutor messages, figuring the announcement
might be a tutor message, and did unload and reload JAWS, but the
message was still being announced. anyone have an idea?

.

Marty Hutchings

Hay guys, I often walk away from my computer leaving it running and what I do to prevent accidental key presses is to make sure that any open documents are menimized or I just have the desktop showing. I didn't even know that the keyboard could be locked.

Love in Christ
Marty
Ephesians 6:12, 13

At 12:49 PM 3/8/2019, you wrote:
my friend is using Windows 10 with JAWS 2018 and locks his keyboard
occasionally to prevent accidental presses of keys while he's not using
it for a while, and wants to know if there's a way to disable/turn
off/suppress the announcement on what to press to unlock the keyboard.
he looked at the quick settings but didn't find such a setting. he also
disabled the announcement of tutor messages, figuring the announcement
might be a tutor message, and did unload and reload JAWS, but the
message was still being announced. anyone have an idea?

.

Richard Turner

If you are talking about the message about pressing control, alt, delete to log on, yes it is shown on the screen.
When I lock my home computer with Windows-Key plus l, when I hit a key, the password field pops up.
At work, they have it set that you have to press control-alt-delete to log on and the message is shown as well as spoken.
If he used a password, someone knowing the keys to press wouldn't help them unless they also know his password.

Richard

At 12:49 PM 3/8/2019, you wrote:
my friend is using Windows 10 with JAWS 2018 and locks his keyboard occasionally to prevent accidental presses of keys while he's not using it for a while, and wants to know if there's a way to disable/turn off/suppress the announcement on what to press to unlock the keyboard.
he looked at the quick settings but didn't find such a setting. he also disabled the announcement of tutor messages, figuring the announcement might be a tutor message, and did unload and reload JAWS, but the message was still being announced. anyone have an idea?

.

Mario

insert+space bar and then l to lock or unlock.

Hay guys,  I often walk away from my computer leaving it running and
what I do to prevent accidental key presses is to make sure that any
open documents are menimized or I just have the desktop showing.  I
didn't even know that the keyboard could be locked.

Love in Christ
Marty
For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers,
against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against
the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.
Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to
resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm.
Ephesians 6:12, 13
-----Original Message----- From: Mario

At 12:49 PM 3/8/2019, you wrote:
my friend is using Windows 10 with JAWS 2018 and locks his keyboard
occasionally to prevent accidental presses of keys while he's not using
it for a while, and wants to know if there's a way to disable/turn
off/suppress the announcement on what to press to unlock the keyboard.
he looked at the quick settings but didn't find such a setting. he also
disabled the announcement of tutor messages, figuring the announcement
might be a tutor message, and did unload and reload JAWS, but the
message was still being announced. anyone have an idea?

.

.

Mario

no. you misunderstood the issue. when he presses insert+spacebar and l.

At 12:49 PM 3/8/2019, you wrote:
my friend is using Windows 10 with JAWS 2018 and locks his keyboard
occasionally to prevent accidental presses of keys while he's not using
it for a while, and wants to know if there's a way to disable/turn
off/suppress the announcement on what to press to unlock the keyboard.
he looked at the quick settings but didn't find such a setting. he also
disabled the announcement of tutor messages, figuring the announcement
might be a tutor message, and did unload and reload JAWS, but the
message was still being announced. anyone have an idea?

.

Richard Turner

OK.
I did not know that Jaws command.
I just had my wife check and the text is not on the screen, but obviously Jaws speaks it.
Anyone can open any program using the mouse or touchpad however, even though they cannot type.
So, perhaps a work around would be for him to put Jaws into Speech on demand with insert+space then s, so unless they know a jaws command to read the current line or to get it back to full speech, they wouldn't know what to do.

Richard

At 12:49 PM 3/8/2019, you wrote:
my friend is using Windows 10 with JAWS 2018 and locks his keyboard occasionally to prevent accidental presses of keys while he's not using it for a while, and wants to know if there's a way to disable/turn off/suppress the announcement on what to press to unlock the keyboard.
he looked at the quick settings but didn't find such a setting. he also disabled the announcement of tutor messages, figuring the announcement might be a tutor message, and did unload and reload JAWS, but the message was still being announced. anyone have an idea?

.

Ben Humphreys <brhbrhbrh@...>

Hi Mario,

JAWS is very particular about matching entries in the dictionary manager, which is why I suggested viewing exactly what is being spoken in the Speech History first. Spaces, commas, punctuation, it all matters for matching.

for example, when I pressed Insert+Space, L and typed random keys, here is the exact thing JAWS spoke:
"To unlock, press Insert+Space, L"

I added that to the default dictionary manager, choose to replace it with the word "Testing" for testing purposes, then verified it worked by locking and then pressing random keys.

It does work for me here running JAWS 2019 and Win10 but should work similarly in all versions.

Keep at it, you'll get it, and discover a very powerful way of eliminating JAWS noise pollution.

Ben

At 12:49 PM 3/8/2019, you wrote:
my friend is using Windows 10 with JAWS 2018 and locks his keyboard
occasionally to prevent accidental presses of keys while he's not using
it for a while, and wants to know if there's a way to disable/turn
off/suppress the announcement on what to press to unlock the keyboard.
he looked at the quick settings but didn't find such a setting. he also
disabled the announcement of tutor messages, figuring the announcement
might be a tutor message, and did unload and reload JAWS, but the
message was still being announced. anyone have an idea?

.

Marty Hutchings

What is Speech on demand and when would one use it?

Love in Christ
Marty
Ephesians 6:12, 13

At 12:49 PM 3/8/2019, you wrote:
my friend is using Windows 10 with JAWS 2018 and locks his keyboard occasionally to prevent accidental presses of keys while he's not using it for a while, and wants to know if there's a way to disable/turn off/suppress the announcement on what to press to unlock the keyboard.
he looked at the quick settings but didn't find such a setting. he also disabled the announcement of tutor messages, figuring the announcement might be a tutor message, and did unload and reload JAWS, but the message was still being announced. anyone have an idea?

.

Richard Turner

Speech on demand silences Jaws until you press a key combination to read something specific, like insert+up-arrow to read the current line.
It is useful if you don't want jaws chattering away for no apparent reason, or when a screen is refreshing or a ticker item is changing value like during a download, or when streaming audio.
I use it mostly when streaming audio, especially if I am wanting to record that stream and don't want Jaws interrupting.
The command is insert+spacebar followed by s.
The same command puts it back to full speech.

HTH,
Richard

At 12:49 PM 3/8/2019, you wrote:
my friend is using Windows 10 with JAWS 2018 and locks his keyboard
occasionally to prevent accidental presses of keys while he's not using it
for a while, and wants to know if there's a way to disable/turn off/suppress
the announcement on what to press to unlock the keyboard.
he looked at the quick settings but didn't find such a setting. he also
disabled the announcement of tutor messages, figuring the announcement might
be a tutor message, and did unload and reload JAWS, but the message was
still being announced. anyone have an idea?

.

Marty Hutchings

...Or when in a meeting with Zoom and you don't want to here the announcements when someone enters or leaves the meeting. Very good. This will be usefull to know. Thanks.

Love in Christ
Marty
Ephesians 6:12, 13

At 12:49 PM 3/8/2019, you wrote:
my friend is using Windows 10 with JAWS 2018 and locks his keyboard
occasionally to prevent accidental presses of keys while he's not using it
for a while, and wants to know if there's a way to disable/turn off/suppress
the announcement on what to press to unlock the keyboard.
he looked at the quick settings but didn't find such a setting. he also
disabled the announcement of tutor messages, figuring the announcement might
be a tutor message, and did unload and reload JAWS, but the message was
still being announced. anyone have an idea?

.

Dani Pagador

When was the speech on demand option introduced? So glad to know about it now.

On 3/9/19, Marty Hutchings <mhutchings@...> wrote:
[...]

""

At 12:49 PM 3/8/2019, you wrote:
my friend is using Windows 10 with JAWS 2018 and locks his keyboard
occasionally to prevent accidental presses of keys while he's not using
it
for a while, and wants to know if there's a way to disable/turn
off/suppress
the announcement on what to press to unlock the keyboard.
he looked at the quick settings but didn't find such a setting. he also
disabled the announcement of tutor messages, figuring the announcement
might
be a tutor message, and did unload and reload JAWS, but the message was
still being announced. anyone have an idea?

.

Richard Turner

i believe in Jaws 2018.
With Windows 10 you can also blank the screen like on an iPhone with inser-spacebar then f11.
I believe that was mentioned in the What's New with Jaws 2018,.
Richard