From: Ibraheem Fakir <ibayridge@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, March 7, 2019 7:23 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Creating Column and Row Headers in XL

Hi group,

Hope all are well. New to Jaws and Windows, I’m trying to create a spreadsheet with row and column headers which read aloud while navigating across cells enclosed in these headers.

I'm creating an attendance schedule where cells B1;K1 contain names of students. Cells A2;A15 contain days of the week. I’ve tried using the . builtin naming function in XL but unfortunately its not working for me. I’ve navigated my curser to cell A1, then pull up the define name function under the formula’s tab and enter into it “attendance..K15”.

running XL 2016 and Jaws 2019. any ideas are super appreciated.

Thanks!
Ibraheem

This is discussed repeatedly in the group archive.

See this topic as a good starting point:  https://jfw.groups.io/g/main/message/27900

Michael Mote

Hi there.  Replace the word attendance with title.  So your define name field should have the following text.

Title..k15.  See if that works for you.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Hope all are well. New to Jaws and Windows, I’m trying to create a spreadsheet with row and column headers which read aloud while navigating across cells enclosed in these headers.

I'm creating an attendance schedule where  cells B1;K1 contain  names of students. Cells A2;A15 contain days of the week. I’ve tried using the  . builtin naming function in XL but unfortunately its not working for me. I’ve navigated my curser to cell A1, then pull up the define name function under the formula’s tab and enter into it “attendance..K15”.

running XL 2016 and Jaws 2019. any ideas are super appreciated.

Thanks!

Ibraheem

Sally Hagarty

In A1, try typing insert alt control c , then type insert alt control r

Mark Fisher

Hi - notwithstanding the crrent ways for naming rows and columns in JAWS, I am a great user of the Excel Tables feature (Ctrl+T) to create a table. I think it would be useful if JAWS would recognize a Table and automatifcally read row and column headings (although I know there would be cases where you may not want this all the time) without having to create a range name. I find that sometimes that JAWS can get confused when you have tables and those range names in place.
Mark