Topics

need help unmuting volume

Jed Barton

Hey guys,

OK, just had a major problem. I have no idea how i did it.
Fortunately someone was able to help me out of it, but i muted my
system volume. Curious, when this happens, what is the keystroke to
hit with the latest jaws to unmute everything?

Thanks,
Jed

Jessica D

Hi,
On my HP laptop, its f6 by itself.
I'm constantly muting my sound, including jaws, by accident.
So, I wish I could change this keystroke.
Does anyone know of an easy, accessible way to do this?

I have a feeling it'll help both of us.

Thanks,
Jessica

On Mar 6, 2019, at 9:42 PM, Jed Barton <jed@...> wrote:

Hey guys,

OK, just had a major problem. I have no idea how i did it.
Fortunately someone was able to help me out of it, but i muted my
system volume. Curious, when this happens, what is the keystroke to
hit with the latest jaws to unmute everything?

Thanks,
Jed

Jed Barton

If anyone knows the command, it would be awesome

On 3/6/19, Jessica D <jldail13@...> wrote:
Hi,
On my HP laptop, its f6 by itself.
I'm constantly muting my sound, including jaws, by accident.
So, I wish I could change this keystroke.
Does anyone know of an easy, accessible way to do this?

I have a feeling it'll help both of us.

Thanks,
Jessica
On Mar 6, 2019, at 9:42 PM, Jed Barton <jed@...> wrote:

Hey guys,

OK, just had a major problem. I have no idea how i did it.
Fortunately someone was able to help me out of it, but i muted my
system volume. Curious, when this happens, what is the keystroke to
hit with the latest jaws to unmute everything?

Thanks,
Jed

Ann Byrne

Insert+escape refreshes the page, and unmutes the volume.

At 08:42 PM 3/6/2019, you wrote:
Hey guys,

OK, just had a major problem. I have no idea how i did it.
Fortunately someone was able to help me out of it, but i muted my
system volume. Curious, when this happens, what is the keystroke to
hit with the latest jaws to unmute everything?

Thanks,
Jed

Bill White

Hi, Jed. Another way besides INSERT plus ESCAPE to unmute JAWS is simply to restart the computer. When JAWS comes up, if the computer has been muted, or the volume has been turned down all the way, JAWS will automatically unmute the computer, and turn up the volume enough so that you may hear how to get to the volume and raise it further. It is not necessary in this instance to use JAWS key and ESCAPE to unmute. It happens automatically when JAWS starts.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

If anyone knows the command, it would be awesome

On 3/6/19, Jessica D <jldail13@...> wrote:
Hi,
On my HP laptop, its f6 by itself.
I'm constantly muting my sound, including jaws, by accident.
So, I wish I could change this keystroke.
Does anyone know of an easy, accessible way to do this?

I have a feeling it'll help both of us.

Thanks,
Jessica
On Mar 6, 2019, at 9:42 PM, Jed Barton <jed@...> wrote:

Hey guys,

OK, just had a major problem. I have no idea how i did it.
Fortunately someone was able to help me out of it, but i muted my
system volume. Curious, when this happens, what is the keystroke to
hit with the latest jaws to unmute everything?

Thanks,
Jed

Jaws key + Escape sounds a lot easier and less problematic than restarting the computer. If a bunch of applications are open the computer may not even restart because it may ask the user to save their work or shut down some application and if there is no sound you'd just sit there and wait not knowing what's going on.

[...]

Shankar C

hi,
just a trick,
if you feel that, the volume got muted, open the run dialogue and type
the command, "sndvol" and press enter and wait for 2 to 3 seconds.
now, the volume tray opens, just press the home key. the volume will
be raized.
note: in this process, do not press any key other than the home key
once the volume tray opens. if you press tab or shift tab, there might
be a chances of shifting your focus.

On 3/7/19, Sieghard Weitzel <@Sieghard> wrote:
[...]

----------
email: harshalgips@...
msn: harshalgips@...
skype: shankar.a
mobile:+919945860671
thanks and regards
shankar

Bill White

Hi, Sieghard. I was not suggesting that he restart instead of using INSERT plus ESCAPE. What I was saying is that if he has shut down, and restarted the computer, and the problem persists, it is probably something else besides the sound being muted or the volume being turned down. This can occur because somehow the speakers have become disconnected, or, the sound device has been changed from analog to digital or vice versa, or the sound drivers have become corrupted or deleted, etc.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Milton Ota <mota1252@...>

All suggestions are great!

No one has mentioned that if you are using Windows 10 you can hold down Control + Window Key and press Enter to bring up Narrator which will then give you speech access to your computer to get to your volume control and un-mute your sound.

[...]

And the volume feature is only in later versions of JAWS--either starting with 18 or 2018; I don't think versions before that.

At 02:45 AM 3/7/2019, you wrote:
[...]

If the sound is muted, Narrator is muted too, isn't it?

At 07:31 AM 3/7/2019, you wrote:
[...]

Not such a good suggestion, I just muted my volume and started Narrator and heard nothing. Starting Narrator at least on my laptop did not unmute the volume, I know this for sure because when I unmuted it (I simply use the appropriate function keys on my keyboard) Narrator as well as Jaws were running. This is also aother small issue, Narrator will start and run with Jaws, but then you have both screenreaders running and potentially conflicting.
Anybody who has a laptop should also learn about which function keys mute the volume and which function keys turn volume up and down, I have yet to see a laptop who doesn't have this feature. At best if your function keys behave as traditional function keys or if you have done something to make them behave this way, you have to press the FN key along with whichever function key to get the Mute, Volume Up and Volume Down functions. On my Asus Zenbook FN+F10 mutes/unmutes the volume, FN+F11 is volume down and FN+F12 is volume up. This can be useful if you use a USB soundcard because I am pretty sure the screen refresh command, Jaws Key + Escape, will only unmute the default soundcard in the computer and not any other soundcards or USB devices such as USB speakers or headsets.

Regards,
Sieghard

[...]

Bob Hicks

I have a Dell laptop with Wuin190 on it. Anybody know what function keys
mute, raise and lower the volume? tia

Have a great day, 73

Bob Hicks, KC8CR

Windows 7 and 10 home 64 bit

--
----------"Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no
point."

Bill White

Hi, Milton. If sound is muted, Narrator will be muted, too, so that won't
work.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

The following is a technique you can try when stuck, but it requires some faith as you're going to be doing it silently (like there's any other choice under the circumstances you'd need to use it).

1.  Hit WinKey+R
2.  Type sndvol, which is going in the Open edit box without feedback, then press Enter
3.  The volume mixer will have opened, and focus will be on the main speaker/headphone volume.
4.  Try up arrow multiple times (at least 10 or so) until either you actually hear the Windows volume chimes getting louder with each press, or it stays silent.  If you're hearing something just keep going up with the up arrow until you have the volume you want and close the volume mixer window.
5.  If you hear nothing after multiple up arrow presses at step 4 that means you have actually used the mute function rather than just lowering the volume to zero.  Now hit TAB, once, which should have you on the Mute/Unmute toggle button for the main speaker/headphones.  Hit spacebar, this should unmute your speakers to whatever volume you had them set prior to invoking mute.  However, this gives no auditory confirmation that it has worked, it just unmutes the speakers.  Now SHIFT+TAB to throw focus back to the volume slider and play with up and/or down arrow until you have the volume you want.

If you play with this a few times just to get confidence with it when someone's around to bail you out, if necessary, you'll get the hang of it quickly.

Addendum and apology.

I had somehow missed Shankar C's earlier suggestion about simply hitting the HOME key after the volume mixer window has been opened using WinKey+R and typing in sndvol.

That method is simpler, better, and more foolproof as it unmutes and puts volume up to 100% in one key press.  If you want to lower the volume from 100% you can then use Down Arrow until you reach the volume that's desired.

ratshtron

here's a page to take a look at to get some useful information on how to use nircmd.exe to do thing using a shortcut.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/nircmd.html

Legend has it that on Wednesday 3/6/2019 08:42 PM, Jed Barton said:
Hey guys,

OK, just had a major problem. I have no idea how i did it.
Fortunately someone was able to help me out of it, but i muted my
system volume. Curious, when this happens, what is the keystroke to
hit with the latest jaws to unmute everything?

Thanks,
Jed

ratshtron

below is a link to a page to download a utility to use in a shortcut to execute line commands in windows specifily to mute and unmute the speakers on your computer. download the version of nircmd.exe for your os be it a 32bit system or a 64bit system and place it in your c:\windows\system32 folder and then create a shortcut using this program with the target looking something like this:

c:\windows\system32\nircmd.exe mutesysvolume 2

the last perameter of 2 is a toggle that will mute and unmute every other time you execute the shortcut. you can assign a keystroke to the short by right clicking on the shortcut created and tab to the shortcut key and assign one. I assigned shift plus alt plus v. hope this is clear enough and if someone else can explain it better please do so.

now the link to the web page to download the program. O' it is a free utility.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/nircmd.html

Legend has it that on Wednesday 3/6/2019 08:42 PM, Jed Barton said:
Hey guys,

OK, just had a major problem. I have no idea how i did it.
Fortunately someone was able to help me out of it, but i muted my
system volume. Curious, when this happens, what is the keystroke to
hit with the latest jaws to unmute everything?

Thanks,
Jed

Tyler Wood

Hi,

Alternatively this program can allow you to just press enter on a file and have all volume unmuted.

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/sound_volume_view.html

hope either of these methods help.

On 2019-03-08 9:44 p.m., ratshtron wrote:
[...]

Curtis Delzer

or you can put it in your startup group so every time your computer re-boots it will unmute the sound.

On 2019-03-08 9:44 p.m., ratshtron wrote:
[...]

HS
W B 6 H E F
Rialto, CA