From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of tele1974@...
Sent: March 4, 2019 5:36 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Jaws and adobe, adding signature

Hello, I have a question regarding using Jaws to add a digital signature in Adobe pdf files.  Can this be done?  At my current job, I review other employees' work, and write up a report which both I and the employee need to sign.  Currently my supervisor has to add the digital signature as Adobe requires the cursor be dragged to where the signature should be.  Does anyone know how to do this using Jaws so I don't have to ask others to help all the time?
Thanks in advance,
Kurt

There needs to be a clear distinction made here between an electronic signature, which is essentially embedding a scanned copy of someone's signature into a PDF at a specific location, and a digital signature, which has no "looks like a person's real signature" component at all but is generally legally binding.

I've just gone through trying to add both with Adobe Reader DC and have to report that I can find no way to do either with a screen reader.  Adobe has made a massive step back in accessibility with Reader DC.   I must admit, though, that I did not try NVDA's object navigation to try to get to the controls, and that at least has the potential to work, but may not, either.

If you are actually the signatory and want an electronic signature, then I'd strongly suggest that you set up the template you use to create the review in the first place such that your electronic signature is already in it.  If you have control over the electronic copy of the template, as well as the documents generated from it, this is a workable solution.

tele1974@...

So I am referring to the digital signature, not the electronic signature.  I'm using jaws 18 and the latest adobe pro version.  Hoping there is some way around this,
Kurt

I can't speak to anything in Adobe Pro.  It really is important to do as you've done and identify the exact Adobe product that's being used.

I made the mistake of assuming Reader DC when responding to the original questioner, and this may not be the case.