outlook 2016 and JAWS 2019, seems to be a new bug

Steve Nutt

Hi all,

Anyone noticed with the above setup, that in an opened message, pressing the alt and number keys, no longer reads the To:, From:, Date fields etc, instead just saying Unavailable?

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

Tel: +44(0)1438-742286

Mob: +44(0)7956-334938

Fax: +44(0)1438-759589

Email: steve@...

Web: http://www.comproom.co.uk

Shankar C

Hi bro,
I am using "Microsoft Outlook Subscription Version 16.0.10730.20280"
I am able to read the sender information with alt and number keys
without any issues.
Please verify the focus once the message opens.
if the focus is on the message and if you are not able to read the
information with the alt and number keys, then, there might some
issues with the jaws.

On 3/4/19, Steve Nutt <steve@comproom.co.uk> wrote:
Hi all,

Anyone noticed with the above setup, that in an opened message, pressing
the
alt and number keys, no longer reads the To:, From:, Date fields etc,
instead just saying Unavailable?

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

Tel: +44(0)1438-742286

Mob: +44(0)7956-334938

Fax: +44(0)1438-759589

Email: <mailto:steve@comproom.co.uk> steve@comproom.co.uk

Web: <http://www.comproom.co.uk/> http://www.comproom.co.uk

----------
email: harshalgips@gmail.com
msn: harshalgips@hotmail.com
skype: shankar.a
mobile:+919945860671
thanks and regards
shankar

Steve Nutt

Hi,

Thanks for that. I'm using the same version, and the message is in focus. I can manually tab and shift tab to the info, but it is not speaking with the alt and numbers. The correct script is loading too.

All the best

Steve

[...]

Hi Steve,

Have you checked if the "Coming Soon" feature in Outlook is turned off?
When you are in your Inbox press the Alt key to bring up the ribbon menu, you should be on "Home", now left arrow twice, here is Jaws History:

I press the Alt key and here this:
Upper Ribbon, Ribbon, Home Tab, Alt followed by H
I press the left arrow once and here this:
Leaving menus, File Tab Button, Alt followed by F
I press the left arrow a second time and here this:
Ribbon Tabs Tab expanded, Turn on features coming soon Button, Alt followed by U

As you can see Alt followed by U is the shortcut, but that will just toggle it and not tell you if it's on or off.
If it says " Turn on features coming soon" then it is off and your problem is a different one.
But if you hear Turn off features coming soon Button checked" then it is on and you can turn this off by pressing the spacebar.
Note that whether you turn it on or off Jaws will focus on an "OK" button and the message which it seems you can only read with the touch cursor is simply this:

You must restart this application for the changes to take effect.
OK

So go ahead and press OK, then close Outlook completely, wait a few seconds and reopen it, now try to see if you can read those fields with the shortcut keys.
I suggest this should be turned off, if it is on you may get upcoming features which could cause issues like this before Vispero and/or Microsoft has time to make any necessary changes.
I certainly also don't have any issues with Alt + 1, Alt + 2 and so on reading the From, To, CC etc. Fields.

Best regards,
Sieghard

[...]

Tom Behler

Steve:

I have Outlook 2016 and Jaws 2019 here, and have not noticed what you describe.

I’m using Windows 10 version 1809 here.

Tom Behler

Anyone noticed with the above setup, that in an opened message, pressing the alt and number keys, no longer reads the To:, From:, Date fields etc, instead just saying Unavailable?

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

Tel: +44(0)1438-742286

Mob: +44(0)7956-334938

Fax: +44(0)1438-759589

Email: steve@...

Web: http://www.comproom.co.uk

Steve Nutt

Wow, how did you figure that one out? Hats off to you my friend, that fixed it.

Thank you so much.

Just a quick tip, you can literally press Alt, followed by U to turn it on.

[...]

Alt + U does toggle it as I said, but if you want to check if it's on or not in the first place pressing the Alt key and arrowing left twice will give you that info. I actually think it might be on by default so it's something everybody who uses Office 365 should check since having this on to me is not worth it.

[...]

Richard B. McDonald

Hi Sieghard!

Your below is interesting.  However, for me when I follow these steps I end up hearing a series of "try" commands.  What are those?  I do not hear the option button about new features.  I wonder if my hearing these "try" commands means that I have the new features option turned-on?  Perhaps an alt+u would toggle them off?  What do you think?

Thanks,

Richard

On 3/4/19, Steve Nutt <steve@...> wrote:

> Hi all,

> Anyone noticed with the above setup, that in an opened message,

> pressing the alt and number keys, no longer reads the To:, From:, Date

> fields etc, instead just saying Unavailable?

> All the best

> Steve

> --

> Computer Room Services

> 77 Exeter Close

> Stevenage

> Hertfordshire

> SG1 4PW

> Tel: +44(0)1438-742286

> Mob: +44(0)7956-334938

> Fax: +44(0)1438-759589

> Email:  <mailto:steve@...> steve@...

> Web:  <http://www.comproom.co.uk/> http://www.comproom.co.uk

----------

email: harshalgips@...

msn: harshalgips@...

skype: shankar.a

mobile:+919945860671

thanks and regards

shankar

Not for me, if I press the alt key and focus is on the Home menu all I have to do is arrow left twice and it will either say Turn on features coming soon or Turn off features coming soon checked.

Are you maximized? I guess you can try Alt + U and see what happens, it’s a toggle so if things change for the worse just press it again.

I assume you are talking about the subscription version of Outlook and not the retail version?

Your below is interesting.  However, for me when I follow these steps I end up hearing a series of "try" commands.  What are those?  I do not hear the option button about new features.  I wonder if my hearing these "try" commands means that I have the new features option turned-on?  Perhaps an alt+u would toggle them off?  What do you think?

Thanks,

Richard

Thanks for that.  I'm using the same version, and the message is in focus.  I can manually tab and shift tab to the info, but it is not speaking with the alt and numbers.  The correct script is loading too.

All the best

Steve

I am using "Microsoft Outlook Subscription Version 16.0.10730.20280"

I am able to  read the sender information with alt and number keys without any issues.

Please verify the focus once the message opens.

if the focus is on the message and if you are not able to read the information with the alt and number keys, then, there might some issues with the jaws.

On 3/4/19, Steve Nutt <steve@...> wrote:

> Hi all,

> Anyone noticed with the above setup, that in an opened message,

> pressing the alt and number keys, no longer reads the To:, From:, Date

> fields etc, instead just saying Unavailable?

> All the best

> Steve

> --

> Computer Room Services

> 77 Exeter Close

> Stevenage

> Hertfordshire

> SG1 4PW

> Tel: +44(0)1438-742286

> Mob: +44(0)7956-334938

> Fax: +44(0)1438-759589

> Email:  <mailto:steve@...> steve@...

> Web:  <http://www.comproom.co.uk/> http://www.comproom.co.uk

----------

email: harshalgips@...

msn: harshalgips@...

skype: shankar.a

mobile:+919945860671

thanks and regards

shankar

Shankar C

using office 365, when I press alt followed by letter u, no action I
can just here the top and bottom edg alert sound.
just asking for my understanding, do I have to perform this in the
message or, on the inbox folder.
please clarify me.

On 3/4/19, Steve Nutt <steve@comproom.co.uk<mailto:steve@comproom.co.uk>>
wrote:

Hi all,
Anyone noticed with the above setup, that in an opened message,
pressing the alt and number keys, no longer reads the To:, From:, Date
fields etc, instead just saying Unavailable?
All the best
Steve
--
Computer Room Services
77 Exeter Close
Stevenage
Hertfordshire
SG1 4PW
Tel: +44(0)1438-742286
Mob: +44(0)7956-334938
Fax: +44(0)1438-759589
Email: <mailto:steve@comproom.co.uk>
steve@comproom.co.uk<mailto:steve@comproom.co.uk>
Web: <http://www.comproom.co.uk/> http://www.comproom.co.uk

--

----------"Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no
point."

----------

email: harshalgips@gmail.com<mailto:harshalgips@gmail.com>

msn: harshalgips@hotmail.com<mailto:harshalgips@hotmail.com>

skype: shankar.a

mobile:+919945860671

thanks and regards

shankar

----------
email: harshalgips@gmail.com
msn: harshalgips@hotmail.com
skype: shankar.a
mobile:+919945860671
thanks and regards
shankar

Richard B. McDonald

Well, pressing alt+u results in a “ding” sound; indicating that no action could be taken.  And, the “try” command thing remains.  I am not using the subscription version of Outlook; that is, Office 360.  I am indeed using Outlook 2016 and JAWS 2019.

Not for me, if I press the alt key and focus is on the Home menu all I have to do is arrow left twice and it will either say Turn on features coming soon or Turn off features coming soon checked.

Are you maximized? I guess you can try Alt + U and see what happens, it’s a toggle so if things change for the worse just press it again.

I assume you are talking about the subscription version of Outlook and not the retail version?

Your below is interesting.  However, for me when I follow these steps I end up hearing a series of "try" commands.  What are those?  I do not hear the option button about new features.  I wonder if my hearing these "try" commands means that I have the new features option turned-on?  Perhaps an alt+u would toggle them off?  What do you think?

Thanks,

Richard

Thanks for that.  I'm using the same version, and the message is in focus.  I can manually tab and shift tab to the info, but it is not speaking with the alt and numbers.  The correct script is loading too.

All the best

Steve

I am using "Microsoft Outlook Subscription Version 16.0.10730.20280"

I am able to  read the sender information with alt and number keys without any issues.

Please verify the focus once the message opens.

if the focus is on the message and if you are not able to read the information with the alt and number keys, then, there might some issues with the jaws.

On 3/4/19, Steve Nutt <steve@...> wrote:

> Hi all,

> Anyone noticed with the above setup, that in an opened message,

> pressing the alt and number keys, no longer reads the To:, From:, Date

> fields etc, instead just saying Unavailable?

> All the best

> Steve

> --

> Computer Room Services

> 77 Exeter Close

> Stevenage

> Hertfordshire

> SG1 4PW

> Tel: +44(0)1438-742286

> Mob: +44(0)7956-334938

> Fax: +44(0)1438-759589

> Email:  <mailto:steve@...> steve@...

> Web:  <http://www.comproom.co.uk/> http://www.comproom.co.uk

----------

email: harshalgips@...

msn: harshalgips@...

skype: shankar.a

mobile:+919945860671

thanks and regards

shankar

From the inbox.

wrote:

[...]

I don’t think Features coming soon will be found in the retail version of Office since it is not updated constantly as Office 365 is. If you have the subscription version and sign up for Office Insider you get monthly updates and even if not you get pretty frequent Office updates.

There is now also a difference in the Jaws scripts for the subscription and retail versions and going forward Jaws scripts for the subscription version will get more attention and updates in order to keep up with changes and new features in Office.

Well, pressing alt+u results in a “ding” sound; indicating that no action could be taken.  And, the “try” command thing remains.  I am not using the subscription version of Outlook; that is, Office 360.  I am indeed using Outlook 2016 and JAWS 2019.

Not for me, if I press the alt key and focus is on the Home menu all I have to do is arrow left twice and it will either say Turn on features coming soon or Turn off features coming soon checked.

Are you maximized? I guess you can try Alt + U and see what happens, it’s a toggle so if things change for the worse just press it again.

I assume you are talking about the subscription version of Outlook and not the retail version?

Your below is interesting.  However, for me when I follow these steps I end up hearing a series of "try" commands.  What are those?  I do not hear the option button about new features.  I wonder if my hearing these "try" commands means that I have the new features option turned-on?  Perhaps an alt+u would toggle them off?  What do you think?

Thanks,

Richard

Thanks for that.  I'm using the same version, and the message is in focus.  I can manually tab and shift tab to the info, but it is not speaking with the alt and numbers.  The correct script is loading too.

All the best

Steve

I am using "Microsoft Outlook Subscription Version 16.0.10730.20280"

I am able to  read the sender information with alt and number keys without any issues.

Please verify the focus once the message opens.

if the focus is on the message and if you are not able to read the information with the alt and number keys, then, there might some issues with the jaws.

On 3/4/19, Steve Nutt <steve@...> wrote:

> Hi all,

> Anyone noticed with the above setup, that in an opened message,

> pressing the alt and number keys, no longer reads the To:, From:, Date

> fields etc, instead just saying Unavailable?

> All the best

> Steve

> --

> Computer Room Services

> 77 Exeter Close

> Stevenage

> Hertfordshire

> SG1 4PW

> Tel: +44(0)1438-742286

> Mob: +44(0)7956-334938

> Fax: +44(0)1438-759589

> Email:  <mailto:steve@...> steve@...

> Web:  <http://www.comproom.co.uk/> http://www.comproom.co.uk

----------

email: harshalgips@...

msn: harshalgips@...

skype: shankar.a

mobile:+919945860671

thanks and regards

shankar

Don Mauck

I fear that a lot things will get fixed in Outlook 365 and not in the retail version. A bit unfair to us who cannot use 365 at work. Things like the fixes for PowerPoint are a good example.

Well, pressing alt+u results in a “ding” sound; indicating that no action could be taken.  And, the “try” command thing remains.  I am not using the subscription version of Outlook; that is, Office 360.  I am indeed using Outlook 2016 and JAWS 2019.

Not for me, if I press the alt key and focus is on the Home menu all I have to do is arrow left twice and it will either say Turn on features coming soon or Turn off features coming soon checked.

Are you maximized? I guess you can try Alt + U and see what happens, it’s a toggle so if things change for the worse just press it again.

I assume you are talking about the subscription version of Outlook and not the retail version?

Your below is interesting.  However, for me when I follow these steps I end up hearing a series of "try" commands.  What are those?  I do not hear the option button about new features.  I wonder if my hearing these "try" commands means that I have the new features option turned-on?  Perhaps an alt+u would toggle them off?  What do you think?

Thanks,

Richard

Thanks for that.  I'm using the same version, and the message is in focus.  I can manually tab and shift tab to the info, but it is not speaking with the alt and numbers.  The correct script is loading too.

All the best

Steve

I am using "Microsoft Outlook Subscription Version 16.0.10730.20280"

I am able to  read the sender information with alt and number keys without any issues.

Please verify the focus once the message opens.

if the focus is on the message and if you are not able to read the information with the alt and number keys, then, there might some issues with the jaws.

On 3/4/19, Steve Nutt <steve@...> wrote:

> Hi all,

> Anyone noticed with the above setup, that in an opened message,

> pressing the alt and number keys, no longer reads the To:, From:, Date

> fields etc, instead just saying Unavailable?

> All the best

> Steve

> --

> Computer Room Services

> 77 Exeter Close

> Stevenage

> Hertfordshire

> SG1 4PW

> Tel: +44(0)1438-742286

> Mob: +44(0)7956-334938

> Fax: +44(0)1438-759589

> Email:  <mailto:steve@...> steve@...

> Web:  <http://www.comproom.co.uk/> http://www.comproom.co.uk

----------

email: harshalgips@...

msn: harshalgips@...

skype: shankar.a

mobile:+919945860671

thanks and regards

shankar

Steve Nutt

Hi,

It's not on by default I can tell you that.

All the best

Steve

[...]

Sorry you are right, it is on by default.  So obviously the coming soon features is what’s breaking the JAWS script.

All the best

Steve

Not for me, if I press the alt key and focus is on the Home menu all I have to do is arrow left twice and it will either say Turn on features coming soon or Turn off features coming soon checked.

Are you maximized? I guess you can try Alt + U and see what happens, it’s a toggle so if things change for the worse just press it again.

I assume you are talking about the subscription version of Outlook and not the retail version?

Your below is interesting.  However, for me when I follow these steps I end up hearing a series of "try" commands.  What are those?  I do not hear the option button about new features.  I wonder if my hearing these "try" commands means that I have the new features option turned-on?  Perhaps an alt+u would toggle them off?  What do you think?

Thanks,

Richard

Thanks for that.  I'm using the same version, and the message is in focus.  I can manually tab and shift tab to the info, but it is not speaking with the alt and numbers.  The correct script is loading too.

All the best

Steve

I am using "Microsoft Outlook Subscription Version 16.0.10730.20280"

I am able to  read the sender information with alt and number keys without any issues.

Please verify the focus once the message opens.

if the focus is on the message and if you are not able to read the information with the alt and number keys, then, there might some issues with the jaws.

On 3/4/19, Steve Nutt <steve@...> wrote:

> Hi all,

> Anyone noticed with the above setup, that in an opened message,

> pressing the alt and number keys, no longer reads the To:, From:, Date

> fields etc, instead just saying Unavailable?

> All the best

> Steve

> --

> Computer Room Services

> 77 Exeter Close

> Stevenage

> Hertfordshire

> SG1 4PW

> Tel: +44(0)1438-742286

> Mob: +44(0)7956-334938

> Fax: +44(0)1438-759589

> Email:  <mailto:steve@...> steve@...

> Web:  <http://www.comproom.co.uk/> http://www.comproom.co.uk

----------

email: harshalgips@...

msn: harshalgips@...

skype: shankar.a

mobile:+919945860671

thanks and regards

shankar

Steve Nutt

Hi,

Do it the other way, press Alt, then left arrow twice.

All the best
Steve

wrote:

[...]

I think it’s only available in the subscription version.

All the best

Steve

Well, pressing alt+u results in a “ding” sound; indicating that no action could be taken.  And, the “try” command thing remains.  I am not using the subscription version of Outlook; that is, Office 360.  I am indeed using Outlook 2016 and JAWS 2019.

Not for me, if I press the alt key and focus is on the Home menu all I have to do is arrow left twice and it will either say Turn on features coming soon or Turn off features coming soon checked.

Are you maximized? I guess you can try Alt + U and see what happens, it’s a toggle so if things change for the worse just press it again.

I assume you are talking about the subscription version of Outlook and not the retail version?

Your below is interesting.  However, for me when I follow these steps I end up hearing a series of "try" commands.  What are those?  I do not hear the option button about new features.  I wonder if my hearing these "try" commands means that I have the new features option turned-on?  Perhaps an alt+u would toggle them off?  What do you think?

Thanks,

Richard

Thanks for that.  I'm using the same version, and the message is in focus.  I can manually tab and shift tab to the info, but it is not speaking with the alt and numbers.  The correct script is loading too.

All the best

Steve

I am using "Microsoft Outlook Subscription Version 16.0.10730.20280"

I am able to  read the sender information with alt and number keys without any issues.

Please verify the focus once the message opens.

if the focus is on the message and if you are not able to read the information with the alt and number keys, then, there might some issues with the jaws.

On 3/4/19, Steve Nutt <steve@...> wrote:

> Hi all,

> Anyone noticed with the above setup, that in an opened message,

> pressing the alt and number keys, no longer reads the To:, From:, Date

> fields etc, instead just saying Unavailable?

> All the best

> Steve

> --

> Computer Room Services