Topics

More activity

Maria Campbell

I'd love to see more activity on this list as another list on JAWS and Windows is going off the rails again, and I may have to leave it.

--

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@gmail.com

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
~ Blaise Pascal ~

Kimber Gardner

I just left that group too because of the craziness.

Sent from Kimber's iPhone

The happy ending still beckons, and it is in the hope of grasping it that we go on.—Annie Proulx

On Mar 3, 2019, at 12:47 PM, Maria Campbell <lucky1inct@...> wrote:

I'd love to see more activity on this list as another list on JAWS and Windows is going off the rails again, and I may have to leave it.

--

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

~ Blaise Pascal ~

Activity on any list is directly dependent on the subscribers, and on good ones there will always be lulls as well as sudden crushes of activity, particularly in the advent of new releases.

This list is far from silent, but nor is it frenetic most of the time.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

Explanations exist; they have existed for all time; there is always a well-known solution to every human problem — neat, plausible, and wrong.

~ H.L. Mencken, AKA The Sage of Baltimore

Maria Campbell

I don't object to frenetic, I object to irrelevance.

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

~ Blaise Pascal ~

On 3/3/2019 1:29 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

Activity on any list is directly dependent on the subscribers, and on good ones there will always be lulls as well as sudden crushes of activity, particularly in the advent of new releases.

--

Explanations exist; they have existed for all time; there is always a well-known solution to every human problem — neat, plausible, and wrong.

Why ask for more activity if you left another group because of all the activity.

I much rather have a group where posts are fewer but relevant and where there is not a bunch of unrelated chatter.

I am on the Viphone group, for example, and compared to the traffic on that group years ago it’s positively quiet now which works just fine for me, being on these lists is not my main job and while I also learn stuff I probably answer more questions than I ask. I enjoy that, but if the traffic on a group gets to be too much and people constantly ask simple questions which they could find the answers to very easily if they just took a few minutes to search the archives or Google then it becomes a problem. The exception maybe is when somebody is really completely new to all of this stuff and they just don’t yet have the skills on how to find this information on their own. I don’t even know how often somebody asked something and I provided an answer which maybe I didn’t know in my head, but which took me 2 minutes to find doing a Google search. One example from the Viphone list is when somebody mentions an app which maybe I also never heard about and then people ask “What does this app do” or “Is this a free or paid app”. All it takes is to do a Google search for “App name on the App Store” or “App Name on iTunes” and typically the first search result is a link to the app in question on the app store where you can read the description, release notes from the latest update and whether the app is free or, If not, how much it costs.

Regards,

Sieghard

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Sunday, March 3, 2019 10:30 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: More activity

--

cecropia64

yes, i agree.  if it is relative information, great.  but the garbage talk should be left for chat sites and the like.

On 3/3/2019 1:53 PM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:

Why ask for more activity if you left another group because of all the activity.

I much rather have a group where posts are fewer but relevant and where there is not a bunch of unrelated chatter.

I am on the Viphone group, for example, and compared to the traffic on that group years ago it’s positively quiet now which works just fine for me, being on these lists is not my main job and while I also learn stuff I probably answer more questions than I ask. I enjoy that, but if the traffic on a group gets to be too much and people constantly ask simple questions which they could find the answers to very easily if they just took a few minutes to search the archives or Google then it becomes a problem. The exception maybe is when somebody is really completely new to all of this stuff and they just don’t yet have the skills on how to find this information on their own. I don’t even know how often somebody asked something and I provided an answer which maybe I didn’t know in my head, but which took me 2 minutes to find doing a Google search. One example from the Viphone list is when somebody mentions an app which maybe I also never heard about and then people ask “What does this app do” or “Is this a free or paid app”. All it takes is to do a Google search for “App name on the App Store” or “App Name on iTunes” and typically the first search result is a link to the app in question on the app store where you can read the description, release notes from the latest update and whether the app is free or, If not, how much it costs.

Regards,

Sieghard

*From:* main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> *On Behalf Of *Brian Vogel
*Sent:* Sunday, March 3, 2019 10:30 AM
*To:* main@jfw.groups.io
*Subject:* Re: More activity

--

Brian *-*Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763

/*   Explanations exist; they have existed for all time; there is always a well-known solution to every human problem — neat, plausible, and wrong.*/

~ H.L. Mencken, AKA /The Sage of Baltimore/

Maria Campbell

Were you reading what I wrote?  I said I didn't mind activity as long as it is relevant.

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@gmail.com

~ Blaise Pascal ~

On 3/3/2019 1:58 PM, cecropia64 wrote:
yes, i agree.  if it is relative information, great.  but the garbage talk should be left for chat sites and the like.

On 3/3/2019 1:53 PM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:

Regards,

Sieghard

*From:* main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> *On Behalf Of *Brian Vogel
*Sent:* Sunday, March 3, 2019 10:30 AM
*To:* main@jfw.groups.io
*Subject:* Re: More activity

--

Brian *-*Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763

/*   Explanations exist; they have existed for all time; there is always a well-known solution to every human problem — neat, plausible, and wrong.*/

~ H.L. Mencken, AKA /The Sage of Baltimore/

Ladies & Gentlemen,

In the final analysis, Groups.io gives you exquisite control over which messages will cross into your inbox for any Groups.io group and in what format.  If you happen to have the misfortune of being on a group where irrelevance goes unchecked, but where you also know that there is enough material of worth that you'd prefer not to miss that, then please use the controls that Groups.io gives you to very quickly cut out the garbage, as well as control flow in general:

Controlling the Messages You Receive via E-Mail from Groups.io (docx)

Controlling the Messages You Receive via E-Mail from Groups.io  (PDF)

These instructions were revised by a screen reader user so that the steps are entirely relevant to that demographic, and he is acknowledged within.
--

Kimber Gardner

The bottomline for me is that I don't want religion and the bible crammed down my throat on a list that is supposed to be about computers.  

The happy ending still beckons, and it is in the hope of grasping it that we go on.—Annie Proulx

On Mar 3, 2019, at 2:18 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

Ladies & Gentlemen,

In the final analysis, Groups.io gives you exquisite control over which messages will cross into your inbox for any Groups.io group and in what format.  If you happen to have the misfortune of being on a group where irrelevance goes unchecked, but where you also know that there is enough material of worth that you'd prefer not to miss that, then please use the controls that Groups.io gives you to very quickly cut out the garbage, as well as control flow in general:

These instructions were revised by a screen reader user so that the steps are entirely relevant to that demographic, and he is acknowledged within.
--

Don Walls

I appreciate the comments about relevant emails. I finally left one list this week, fed up with stupid junk, rants and irrelevant social commentary. I found a lot of helpful information on that list over time but frequency of emails was very high each day and much of it more as though the list were a chat line. I really appreciate that members of this list confine comments to tech support. As a relative duffer on tech (limited to emails, googling and simple editing), it's very helpful for me.

Thanks to all.

Don

Steve Nutt

Ironically, none of these messages are about JAWS, so are we really getting irrelevant now?

All the best

Steve

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kimber Gardner
Sent: 03 March 2019 21:22
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: More activity

The bottomline for me is that I don't want religion and the bible crammed down my throat on a list that is supposed to be about computers.  

On Mar 3, 2019, at 2:18 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

Ladies & Gentlemen,

--