Topics

Subject: outlook over metered connections

John J. Fioravanti, Jr.

Good afternoon:
When I'm in the car and use my hotspot unit to connect to the internet, I can't send emails. My legal assistant says I have to turn outlook over metered connections on.
Can't seem to find a way to do this with jaws 2019 and windows 10. Has anyone had this issue?
Thank you.

Metered connection is a Windows 10 setting, not an Outlook setting, though Outlook recognizes when it's using an internet connection designated as Metered by Windows 10.

Make sure you're connected to your phone as your WiFi connection before proceeding

Settings, Network & Internet, Wi-Fi Pane, Select the connection that you're currently connected to and activate it (it acts as though it's a button).  In the dialog that's now up for that connection, find the Metered Connection section and turn the toggle for Set as metered connection to OFF.

Once you've done this the connection is no longer metered and Outlook will not issue the warning.

See:  https://www.outlook-tips.net/tips/turn-off-the-metered-network-warning-in-outlook/

Steve Nutt

Hi John,

I'd turn this question around. Are you on a limited data plan? If not, do as I do, and set the connection to your hotspot to unmetered.

I have 40GB a month and most times don't use it, so I turn unmetered off.

All the best

Steve