Windows 10 and Jaws 2019 question

G. Gray

I am new to both.  I have loaded Jaws 2019; updated it, etc.  I use a HP laptop 4 gigs ram 64 bit.  Jaws will not read the time (ins. + f-12) or the system tray (ins. f-11)  Is there something I need to do to fix this?

Also from the start menu  I cannot list the program list....can someone give the step by step solution to this?  I want to put some things like ‘notepad and wordpad on the desktop and I can’t figure out how to do it!  Thanks for any help.

George

PS:  Is there a free guide with commands for Windows 10?  I do know about the Microsoft help line.

Mike Rogers

The correct key is insert key plus f12

********************************

www.harmonicaworkshops.com

On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 17:50:05 -0600
"G. Gray" <geogray@...> wrote:

I am new to both. I have loaded Jaws 2019; updated it, etc. I use a HP laptop 4 gigs ram 64 bit. Jaws will not read the time (ins. + f-12) or the system tray (ins. f-11) Is there something I need to do to fix this?

Also from the start menu I cannot list the program list....can someone give the step by step solution to this? I want to put some things like ‘notepad and wordpad on the desktop and I can’t figure out how to do it! Thanks for any help.

George

PS: Is there a free guide with commands for Windows 10? I do know about the Microsoft help line.

G. Gray

This combo should work on the H.P., but it does not....neither does ins + F-11 for the system tray. Also on the H.P there is no applications key....I feel sure it is a two key combo, but don't know which two keys.

George

I am new to both. I have loaded Jaws 2019; updated it, etc. I use a HP laptop 4 gigs ram 64 bit. Jaws will not read the time (ins. + f-12) or the system tray (ins. f-11) Is there something I need to do to fix this?

Also from the start menu I cannot list the program list....can someone give the step by step solution to this? I want to put some things like ‘notepad and wordpad on the desktop and I can’t figure out how to do it! Thanks for any help.

George

PS: Is there a free guide with commands for Windows 10? I do know about the Microsoft help line.

James Homuth

Sounds like your laptop may have function keys turned on. If so, hold down the FN key and do insert+f12. There's a setting to disable that, but I'm not sure on that model if you can do it in Windows 10 or if you have to go to the bios. What this is supposed to do is set it up so you can control things like the volume through your function keys. My laptop also has this setting, but I disabled it ages ago.

This combo should work on the H.P., but it does not....neither does ins +
F-11 for the system tray. Also on the H.P there is no applications key....I feel sure it is a two key combo, but don't know which two keys.

George

I am new to both. I have loaded Jaws 2019; updated it, etc. I use a
HP laptop 4 gigs ram 64 bit. Jaws will not read the time (ins. +
f-12) or the system tray (ins. f-11) Is there something I need to do to fix this?

Also from the start menu I cannot list the program list....can
someone give the step by step solution to this? I want to put some
things like ‘notepad and wordpad on the desktop and I can’t figure out how to do it!
Thanks for any help.

George

PS: Is there a free guide with commands for Windows 10? I do know
about the Microsoft help line.

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

With some laptops the f keys need the FN key pressed to do their normal action; so try insert-FN-f12.
A sure fired way to get a shortcut on the desktop is to use Windows File explorer; Windows key plus e and navigate to the executable file in the c Program Files folder, and right click on it and select create shortcut and it will offer to put it on the desktop because you cannot create a shortcut there.
I think there is a method with fewer steps that someone will chime in with.
I'd also recommend having more RAM installed.
4 GB is barely enough to run Windows 10.
HTH,
Richard

On Feb 24, 2019, at 3:57 AM, G. Gray <geogray@...> wrote:

I am new to both.  I have loaded Jaws 2019; updated it, etc.  I use a HP laptop 4 gigs ram 64 bit.  Jaws will not read the time (ins. + f-12) or the system tray (ins. f-11)  Is there something I need to do to fix this?

Also from the start menu  I cannot list the program list....can someone give the step by step solution to this?  I want to put some things like ‘notepad and wordpad on the desktop and I can’t figure out how to do it!  Thanks for any help.

George

PS:  Is there a free guide with commands for Windows 10?  I do know about the Microsoft help line.

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, G. You need to have a sighted person go into your bios and uncheck Media keys, Hot keys, or Action keys. Your function keys have been assigned to other functions than JAWS by default, and the only way to use them right now is to hold down the FN key as well as the INS key to get the JAWS functions.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

I am new to both. I have loaded Jaws 2019; updated it, etc. I use a HP
laptop 4 gigs ram 64 bit. Jaws will not read the time (ins. + f-12) or
the system tray (ins. f-11) Is there something I need to do to fix this?

Also from the start menu I cannot list the program list....can someone
give the step by step solution to this? I want to put some things like
‘notepad and wordpad on the desktop and I can’t figure out how to do it!
Thanks for any help.

George

PS: Is there a free guide with commands for Windows 10? I do know about
the Microsoft help line.

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

I assume that on George's laptop the function keys are not set up to work as function keys and he will probably have to press the FN key along with any normal function key shortcut, e.g. instead of Jaws key + F12 or Jaws Key + F11 he would need to press FN + Jaws Key + F12 or FN + Jaws Key + F11.
The FN key is typically between the Control and Windows Keys on the left side of the spacebar, the Control Key is usually on the very outside and the FN key to the right of that, then Windows Key, Then Alt Key and then Spacebar.
By Jaws Key I mean Numpad + Insert, sorry, I don't ever use the laptop keyboard layout.
George, you should be able to make the function keys behave as normal function keys, you can try to press FN + Escape and see if that does the trick, if not you will need sighted help since this otherwise has to be done in the BIOS which you access with a particular key press as the system boots up and there is no speech available in the BIOS.

Regards,
Sieghard

I am new to both. I have loaded Jaws 2019; updated it, etc. I use a HP laptop 4 gigs ram 64 bit. Jaws will not read the time (ins. + f-12) or the system tray (ins. f-11) Is there something I need to do to fix this?

Also from the start menu I cannot list the program list....can someone give the step by step solution to this? I want to put some things like 'notepad and wordpad on the desktop and I can't figure out how to do it! Thanks for any help.

George

PS: Is there a free guide with commands for Windows 10? I do know about the Microsoft help line.

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

The Application key alternative is Shift + F10, but once again, if your function keys don't yet behave as normal function keys it would be FN + Shift + F10.