Topics

JAWS and Chrome

Robbie Curtis

Good Afternoon All,

I am having an issue with JAWS not seeing all the links in Chrome. Has anyone else had this issue or know which settings in JAWS I need to enable? I am using JAWS 2018 and Windows 8.1.

Thanks in advance.

--
Robbie J. Curtis
essence64@...

---
https://www.avg.com

Kimber Gardner

How do you know there are links that jaws isn't seeing?  Do you have a web site where this behavior is occurring?

Sent from Kimber's iPhone

The happy ending still beckons, and it is in the hope of grasping it that we go on.—Annie Proulx

On Feb 22, 2019, at 1:52 PM, Robbie Curtis <essence64@...> wrote:

Good Afternoon All,

I am having an issue with JAWS not seeing all the links in Chrome. Has anyone else had this issue or know which settings in JAWS I need to enable? I am using JAWS 2018 and Windows 8.1.

Thanks in advance.

--
Robbie J. Curtis
essence64@...
"Stay in peace, not pieces!"

---
https://www.avg.com

Robbie Curtis

I have used Internet Explorer and Firefox on a couple of sites I visit. Both of these browsers show links that Chrome does not. One of these sites is www.myfreelanceu.com which is a site that I am taking courses on.

Firefox and IE show the University Tracks, Live Training and Tutorials and Resources links and headings but I don't see these links with Chrome.
---- Kimber Gardner <kimbersinbox1963@...> wrote:

How do you know there are links that jaws isn't seeing? Do you have a web site where this behavior is occurring?

Sent from Kimber's iPhone
The happy ending still beckons, and it is in the hope of grasping it that we go on.—Annie Proulx

On Feb 22, 2019, at 1:52 PM, Robbie Curtis <essence64@...> wrote:

Good Afternoon All,

I am having an issue with JAWS not seeing all the links in Chrome. Has anyone else had this issue or know which settings in JAWS I need to enable? I am using JAWS 2018 and Windows 8.1.

Thanks in advance.

--
Robbie J. Curtis
essence64@...
"Stay in peace, not pieces!"

---
https://www.avg.com

Robbie Curtis

The website is my.freelanceu.com.
---- Kimber Gardner <kimbersinbox1963@...> wrote:

How do you know there are links that jaws isn't seeing? Do you have a web site where this behavior is occurring?

Sent from Kimber's iPhone
The happy ending still beckons, and it is in the hope of grasping it that we go on.—Annie Proulx

On Feb 22, 2019, at 1:52 PM, Robbie Curtis <essence64@...> wrote:

Good Afternoon All,

I am having an issue with JAWS not seeing all the links in Chrome. Has anyone else had this issue or know which settings in JAWS I need to enable? I am using JAWS 2018 and Windows 8.1.

Thanks in advance.

--
Robbie J. Curtis
essence64@...
"Stay in peace, not pieces!"

---
https://www.avg.com

Chris Hill

Yep, deffinitely looks different on chrome versus firefox.  It would be good to know if this is a jaws problem or a chrome problem.

When I check it out with chrome and nvda, I see empty clickables under the university track heading, those aren't shown with jaws. Either way, you would have difficulty.  I, personally, like the menu structure better in firefox, I'll use chrome and its ad-blocking little brother Brave on occasion, but I still do a lot in firefox just because it is easier to get to my bookmarks.

On 2/22/2019 19:43, Robbie Curtis wrote:
[...]

I couldn't get far with either IE or Chrome on that website which leads me to believe that whoever designed it is not exactly following web accessibility standards.

[...]

Just curious, but why would you still use Windows 8.1 when Windows 10 is so much better?

I am having an issue with JAWS not seeing all the links in Chrome. Has anyone else had this issue or know which settings in JAWS I need to enable? I am using JAWS 2018 and Windows 8.1.

Thanks in advance.

--
Robbie J. Curtis
essence64@...
"Stay in peace, not pieces!"

---
https://www.avg.com

Chris Hill

There are some computers that due to bios incompatibility won't run windows 10 even though they will run windows 8.

CH

On 2/22/2019 22:27, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:
Just curious, but why would you still use Windows 8.1 when Windows 10 is so much better?

I am having an issue with JAWS not seeing all the links in Chrome. Has anyone else had this issue or know which settings in JAWS I need to enable? I am using JAWS 2018 and Windows 8.1.

Thanks in advance.

--
Robbie J. Curtis
essence64@...
"Stay in peace, not pieces!"

---
https://www.avg.com

Not something I ever came across, I even had an old PC at my store from 2008 which had an Intel Core 2 Duo processor, one of these E-series ones with 2 M cache running at 2.60 GHz and with an 800 MHz front side bus upgraded to windows 10 and it ran OK. Anyhow, one should think a BIOS upgrade might fix that if the BIOS is the problem.
Maybe there is another reason why Robbie didn't upgrade, I was just curious. Since Jaws 2018 was mentioned the screenreader certainly wouldn't be a problem.

Regards,
Sieghard

I am having an issue with JAWS not seeing all the links in Chrome. Has anyone else had this issue or know which settings in JAWS I need to enable? I am using JAWS 2018 and Windows 8.1.

Thanks in advance.

--
Robbie J. Curtis
essence64@...
"Stay in peace, not pieces!"

---
https://www.avg.com

Chris Hill

Unfortunately, making the upgrade available requires the manufacturer's input, and HP wasn't willing to do that on the machine I was fighting with.  Sometimes different hardware really is the answer.

I've never had a problem like that before or since, but there it is.

On 2/23/2019 10:24, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:
[...]

Sieghard, I've been doing some projects and just haven't had the time to upgrade yet. I'll get around to it.

In any case, thanks to all of you for the inputs.

On 2/23/2019 11:36 AM, Chris Hill wrote:
[...]

By the way, my best friend has windows 10 and the same thing happens on her machine. Thanks.

[...]

Dave Durber

Hello Chris:

I also have an HP Laptop computer.

It came with Windows 7 Home Premium edition.

I got sick and tired of the HP blote ware, so I installed a standard Microsoft copy of Windows 7 professional instead.

Now, I am thinking of installing Windows 10 on the same laptop.

If you would like to contact me off-list, I may be able to help you. My email address is:

d.durber@...

If you decide to contact me, please supply the following information:

How old is your laptop?

What model is it?

Which version of Windows was installed on the computer when you purchased it?

Dave Durber