Topics

moderated 2nd sound card for Jaws, retaining settings

Norma A. Boge

Hi group,

I hope everyone is doing well. I have my Jaws 2020 going through a USB sound card. I have all other sounds going through my default sound card to external speakers. I am running into times when Jaws gets set back to the default sound card and the system sounds come through my headphones. Or all sounds come through the default card (external speakers)  or through the headphones. Or Jaws goes through the default card and the system sounds through my headphones.

How can I get Jaws and Windows 10 to retain my settings? I need to keep this setup for hosting Zoom meetings.

I have downloaded System Volume View but haven’t installed it yet. Would working with this program to set profiles for different configurations be easier than working with the Win 10 settings?

Thanks for reading,

Norma

David Diamond

I found just going into the sound card submenu in JAWS, and selecting the USB card, works fine for me.  It is a mystery why it doesn’t work for you. I’ve been using a second soundcard for at least 7 months now with no problems.

I hope everyone is doing well. I have my Jaws 2020 going through a USB sound card. I have all other sounds going through my default sound card to external speakers. I am running into times when Jaws gets set back to the default sound card and the system sounds come through my headphones. Or all sounds come through the default card (external speakers)  or through the headphones. Or Jaws goes through the default card and the system sounds through my headphones.

How can I get Jaws and Windows 10 to retain my settings? I need to keep this setup for hosting Zoom meetings.

I have downloaded System Volume View but haven’t installed it yet. Would working with this program to set profiles for different configurations be easier than working with the Win 10 settings?

Thanks for reading,

Norma

Randy Barnett

Yeah this definitely is not normal behavior. You might want to try reinstalling the sound car drivers and the USB sound card. It’s a basic question but have you tried restarting your computer?

Randy Barnett

On Dec 7, 2020, at 7:07 PM, Norma A. Boge <naboge@...> wrote:

[...]

Pat Byrne

Norma,
I am using a similar setup to yours. Mine was a bit unstable at first but, cross my fingers, it has been stable for a couple of years.
On the other hand, we tried a separarte USB card in my wife's desktop and it never functioned successfully.
There are too many variables to get a handle on.
Good luck.
Pat ByrneAt 09:07 PM 12/7/2020, you wrote:

Hi group,

I hope everyone is doing well. I have my Jaws 2020 going through a USB sound card. I have all other sounds going through my default sound card to external speakers. I am running into times when Jaws gets set back to the default sound card and the system sounds come through my headphones. Or all sounds come through the default card (external speakers) Â or through the headphones. Or Jaws goes through the default card and the system sounds through my headphones.

How can I get Jaws and Windows 10 to retain my settings? I need to keep this setup for hosting Zoom meetings.

I have downloaded System Volume View but haven’t installed it yet. Would working with this program to set profiles for different configurations be easier than working with the Win 10 settings?

Thanks for reading,

Norma

Norma A. Boge

Hi group,

My selections for using Jaws with a second sound card seem to be staying where I set them. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Best,
[...]

George Gray

How, exactly, did you accomplish this? I tried it a while back and
was totally unsuccessful, but would like to try again.

Thanks.

--
HAVE A MAGNIFICENT DAY

GEORGE BURRELL GRAY

Los Cerros
Sosua
REPUBLICA DOMINICANA

ratshtron

I use a usb sound adaptor and have a wireless headset base plugged in to it and I have been using this setup for over two years. once you have your setup installed, press insert plus j then down arrow to utilities and then to sound cards and press enter.select the device you wish to use with JAWS and press enter. the selection should stay once selected.

Legend has it that on Wednesday 12/9/2020 12:37 PM, George Gray said:
[...]

I have downloaded System Volume View but haven’t ¢t installed it yet.
Would working with this program to set profiles for different
configurations be easier than working with the Win 10 settings?

Thanks for reading,

Norma

--
HAVE A MAGNIFICENT DAY

GEORGE BURRELL GRAY

Los Cerros
Sosua
REPUBLICA DOMINICANA

David Diamond

That's exactly the way I did it with a 3 channel mixer I got from Amazon, it works great. I can hear the Zoom conference yet hear Jaws through my hearing aids, if I want. Sometimes I don't want to hear who left or join the meeting.

I use a usb sound adaptor and have a wireless headset base plugged in to it
and I have been using this setup for over two years. once you have your setup
installed, press insert plus j then down arrow to utilities and then to sound
cards and press enter.select the device you wish to use with JAWS and press
enter. the selection should stay once selected.

Legend has it that on Wednesday 12/9/2020 12:37 PM, George Gray said:
>How, exactly, did you accomplish this? I tried it a while back and was
>totally unsuccessful, but would like to try again.
>
>Thanks.
>
>On 12/9/20, Norma A. Boge <naboge@mchsi.com> wrote:
> > Hi group,
> >
> > My selections for using Jaws with a second sound card seem to be
> > staying where I set them. Thanks to all for the suggestions.
> >
> > Best,
> > Norma

Hank William Merchant

Good afternoon Ratshtron,

Can you please tell me what is the exact brand name of this USB sound adapter that you have had success with in setting up jaws to go through, so I can do an exact search on amazon to get one of these USB sound adapters to put my jaws through? This USB sound adapter must have its own volume knob? and if you don't mind me asking, what was the price of this USB sound adapter? Any help you can maybe give me on this would be muchly appreciated! Thanks muchly in advance for any possible help with this.

Kindest regards,
Hank

[...]

Van Lant, Robin

I saw one on www.atguys.com for $12. I think I'll give it a try.

I am using a similar setup to yours. Mine was a bit unstable at
first but, cross my fingers, it has been stable for a couple of years.
On the other hand, we tried a separarte USB
card in my wife's desktop and it
never functioned successfully.
There are too many variables to get a handle on.
Good luck.
Pat ByrneAt 09:07 PM 12/7/2020, you wrote:

Hi group,

I hope everyone is doing well. I have my Jaws
2020 going through a USB sound card. I have all other sounds going
through my default sound card to external speakers. I am running
into times when Jaws gets set back to the default sound card and the
system sounds come through my headphones. Or all sounds come through
the default card (external speakers) Ã' or through the headphones.
Or Jaws goes through the default card and the system sounds through
my headphones.

How can I get Jaws and Windows 10 to retain my settings? I need to
keep this setup for hosting Zoom meetings.

I have downloaded System Volume View but havenâEUR(tm)t ¢t installed it yet.
Would working with this program to set profiles for different
configurations be easier than working with the Win 10 settings?

Thanks for reading,

Norma

--
HAVE A MAGNIFICENT DAY

GEORGE BURRELL GRAY

Los Cerros
Sosua
REPUBLICA DOMINICANA

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key send an e-mail to DNERequests@key.com with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

ratshtron

o.k. here you go:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sabrent-Aluminum-USB-External-Stereo-Sound-Adapter-for-Windows-and-Mac-Plug-and-Play-No-Drivers-Needed-Black-AU-EMCB/45074509?wmlspartner=wlpa&;selectedSellerId=101016919&&adid=22222222227032543872&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=64524594296&wl4=aud-430887228898:pla-111299769176&wl5=9026987&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=163061592&wl11=online&wl12=45074509&veh=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm7q_g4bF7QIVivOzCh0yUQr-EAQYASABEgINdPD_BwE

you may have to select the entire link and then press windows key plus r and paste it in to the run command to get to it. hope this helps. the device is really inexpensive at 7.95 dollars. good luck and merry CHRISTmas!

-----Original Message----- From: ratshtron

I am using a similar setup to yours. Mine
was a bit unstable at first > but,
cross my fingers, it has been stable for a couple of years.
On the other hand, we tried a separarte USB
card in my wife's desktop and it
never functioned successfully.
There are too many variables to get a handle on.
Good luck.
Pat ByrneAt 09:07 PM 12/7/2020, you wrote:

Hi group,

I hope everyone is doing well. I have my Jaws
2020 going through a USB sound card. I have all other sounds going
through my default sound card to external speakers. I am running into
times when Jaws gets set back to the default sound card and the system
sounds come through my headphones. Or all sounds come through the
default card (external speakers) Â or through the headphhones. Or Jaws
goes through the default card and the system sounds through my
headphones.

How can I get Jaws and Windows 10 to retain my settings? I need to keep
this setup for hosting Zoom meetings.

I have downloaded System Volume View but
havenâ€ââ„¢t ¢t installed it yet.
Would working with this program to set profiles for different
configurations be easier than working with the Win 10 settings?

Thanks for reading,

Norma

--
HAVE A MAGNIFICENT DAY

GEORGE BURRELL GRAY

Los Cerros
Sosua
REPUBLICA DOMINICANA

Zel Iscel

Hi David,

Does that mean you can hear Jaws when you're sharing your screen with sound whilst showing a video, without Jaws being heard by the other meeting participants?

Cheers
Zel

image001.jpg

Zel Iscel
Disability Specialist
Inclusive World
Mobile: 0413813885
That's exactly the way I did it with a 3 channel mixer I got from Amazon, it works great. I can hear the Zoom conference yet hear Jaws through my hearing aids, if I want. Sometimes I don't want to hear who left or join the meeting.

I use a usb sound adaptor and have a wireless headset base plugged in to it and I have been using this setup for over two years. once you have your setup installed, press insert plus j then down arrow to utilities and then to sound cards and press enter.select the device you wish to use with JAWS and press enter. the selection should stay once selected.

Legend has it that on Wednesday 12/9/2020 12:37 PM, George Gray said:
>How, exactly, did you accomplish this? I tried it a while back and was >totally unsuccessful, but would like to try again.
>
>Thanks.
>
>On 12/9/20, Norma A. Boge <naboge@mchsi.com> wrote:
> > Hi group,
> >
> > My selections for using Jaws with a second sound card seem to be > > staying where I set them. Thanks to all for the suggestions.
> >
> > Best,
> > Norma

Mario

I would imagine so because JAWS is speaking thru a different sound card.

That's exactly the way I did it with a 3 channel mixer I got from Amazon, it works great. I can hear the Zoom conference yet hear Jaws through my hearing aids, if I want. Sometimes I don't want to hear who left or join the meeting.

I use a usb sound adaptor and have a wireless headset base plugged in to it and I have been using this setup for over two years. once you have your setup installed, press insert plus j then down arrow to utilities and then to sound cards and press enter.select the device you wish to use with JAWS and press enter. the selection should stay once selected.

Legend has it that on Wednesday 12/9/2020 12:37 PM, George Gray said:
>How, exactly, did you accomplish this? I tried it a while back and was >totally unsuccessful, but would like to try again.
>
>Thanks.
>
>On 12/9/20, Norma A. Boge <naboge@mchsi.com> wrote:
> > Hi group,
> >
> > My selections for using Jaws with a second sound card seem to be > > staying where I set them. Thanks to all for the suggestions.
> >
> > Best,
> > Norma

John Covici

I have had many problems with those USB sound cards and Jaws -- a lot
of it was hum -- I connect the phone jack to a mixer I have and I
tried many usb sound cards and I had to actually get a dac to solve my
hum problem -- a lot more expensive but it actually worked.

On Fri, 11 Dec 2020 10:50:05 -0500,
Mario wrote:

I would imagine so because JAWS is speaking thru a different sound card.

I use a usb sound adaptor and have a wireless headset base
plugged in to it and I have been using this setup for over two
years. once you have your setup installed, press insert plus j
then down arrow to utilities and then to sound cards and press
enter.select the device you wish to use with JAWS and press
enter. the selection should stay once selected.

Legend has it that on Wednesday 12/9/2020 12:37 PM, George Gray said:
>How, exactly, did you accomplish this? I tried it a while
back and was >totally unsuccessful, but would like to try again.

>Thanks.
>
>On 12/9/20, Norma A. Boge <naboge@mchsi.com> wrote:
> > Hi group,
> >
> > My selections for using Jaws with a second sound card seem
to be > > staying where I set them. Thanks to all for the
suggestions.

> > Best,
> > Norma

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com

David Diamond

The 3 channel mixer I got from Amazon works perfectly. I have JAWS running through one channel and Zoom running through the computer speakers and if I want I can hear both at the same time. It even has a microphone jack which I used as a test and recorded a zoom meeting. The host is narcistic and does not like any of her imperfections repeated. Thus when a meeting is put to print or notes, all of her flaws are taken out. The sad thing is though, some important info is left out as well. Oh, well, no one is perfect and being a facilitator takes training.

Mario wrote:

> I would imagine so because JAWS is speaking thru a different sound card.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com

Randy Meyer

David:

What three channel mixer do you own? I might be interested in buying from Amazon.

Randy Meyer

Mario wrote:

> I would imagine so because JAWS is speaking thru a different sound card.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com

ratshtron

hmmm, no humming here and have been using a usb sound adapter for over three years with a wuireless headset.

Mario wrote:

I would imagine so because JAWS is speaking thru a different sound card.

I use a usb sound adaptor and have a wireless headset base
plugged in to it and I have been using this setup for over two
years. once you have your setup installed, press insert plus j
then down arrow to utilities and then to sound cards and press
enter.select the device you wish to use with JAWS and press
enter. the selection should stay once selected.

Legend has it that on Wednesday 12/9/2020 12:37 PM, George Gray said:
>How, exactly, did you accomplish this? I tried it a while
back and was >totally unsuccessful, but would like to try again.

>Thanks.
>
>On 12/9/20, Norma A. Boge <naboge@mchsi.com> wrote:
> > Hi group,
> >
> > My selections for using Jaws with a second sound card seem
to be > > staying where I set them. Thanks to all for the
suggestions.

> > Best,
> > Norma

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com

David Diamond

Randy, it took some investigating as I did not realize I bought it more then 6 months ago. Anyway hope this helps. External USB Stereo Sound Card with Adjustable Volume, PHOINIKAS 6-in-One USB Hubs with 7.1 Surround Sound Audio Adapter, with 3.5 mm Headphone and Microphone Jack, for Windows, Mac, PC, Laptops, Desktops, PS4 Computer

Mario wrote:

> I would imagine so because JAWS is speaking thru a different sound card.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com

Randy Meyer

Thank you.

Mario wrote:

> I would imagine so because JAWS is speaking thru a different sound card.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com

David Diamond

I forgot to mention, the cost for that device was $29.

Mario wrote:

> I would imagine so because JAWS is speaking thru a different sound card.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com