Sent: Monday, February 18, 2019 20:52
Subject: Is there a version of JAWS that doesn't use mirror display drivers?

I had heard a long time ago that there was a version coming that dropped mirror display drivers. Does that version exist, and if so, which version is it? Asking as we’re running into the issue of mirror drivers messing with the Windows magnifier. As the primary user of this system is low vision but doesn’t have Zoomtext, and I occasionally provide tech help, we’re having to run Magnifier primarily with JAWS on the system for when I need to use it. That creates problems, because Magnifier requires Aero to run properly, and mirror drivers don’t support aero. Is there a version of JAWS that doesn’t use the mirror drivers? If so, that has just made my life about 5 times easier.

Jaws still uses the so-called accessibility driver. In fact, in Jaws 2019 you can go to the Jaws Settings Centre, load default settings and type all or part of the word “accessibility” driver and you can then uncheck the accessibility driver and use the more modern method with is called “GDI Hooking”. This is currently being tested and Vispero is not making a big deal of it so far since some things may work better with it unchecked, but many things may not. Ultimately the goal is to have this unchecked by default and to restore the functionality of the Jaws cursor to what it once was or better.