Topics

trying to learn how to use Chrome, and having issues.

Jim Rawls

Hi all,

I have the tutorial here, by David Moore. I have read it, and am still having issues. I can’t even get to a web site I want. So, I open Chrome. I hit the windows key up arrow to make sure that chrome is maximized. Then I try to type in the web site I want. And so I hit Control O, and before I can type in anything, I hear, OAKPT2. So I back space that out, and type in what I want. And I hear an ok button. So I hit the space bar, and nothing happens after that. I am running windows ten and jaws 2019. What the heck am I doing wrong? I want to use this browser as my default, but not if it is this hard to use. Jim

John Doering

Jim,

Try this…

Open Crome.

Then control :l together.

This will put you in an edit field.

Type in either a web page i.e. amazon.com or terms for a search.

Hit enter.

It should go to the web site if that is what you put in or if you used search terms, it will show you a Google results page.

HTH,

John Doering

Administrative Pricing Asst 

p. 4147783040 Extn:4063  t. 800-642-8778

NOTICE: The information contained in this email and any document attached hereto is intended only for the named recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, nor the employee or agent responsible for delivering this message in confidence to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that you have received this transmittal in error, and any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this transmittal or its attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmittal and/or attachments in error, please notify me immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message, including any attachments.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jim Rawls
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2019 1:00 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: trying to learn how to use Chrome, and having issues.

Hi all,

I have the tutorial here, by David Moore. I have read it, and am still having issues. I can’t even get to a web site I want. So, I open Chrome. I hit the windows key up arrow to make sure that chrome is maximized. Then I try to type in the web site I want. And so I hit Control O, and before I can type in anything, I hear, OAKPT2. So I back space that out, and type in what I want. And I hear an ok button. So I hit the space bar, and nothing happens after that. I am running windows ten and jaws 2019. What the heck am I doing wrong? I want to use this browser as my default, but not if it is this hard to use. Jim

george b <gbmagoo@...>

Control l for the address field

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jim Rawls
Sent: February 18, 2019 11:00

Hi all,

Randy Meyer

Control-l is what gives you a place to type in a website or search.  This is an adjustment from using control-o to open a website with internet explorer.

Hi all,

JM Casey

Ctrl-l actually works in Internet Explorer too, and I believe always has.

Ctrl-o will open a local file on just about any other browser, so it’s best to get used to ctrl-l, no matter what browser you are using currently.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Randy Meyer
Sent: February 18, 2019 5:48 PM
Subject: Re: trying to learn how to use Chrome, and having issues.

Control-l is what gives you a place to type in a website or search.  This is an adjustment from using control-o to open a website with internet explorer.

Hi all,

You can also use Alt + D to go to the address bar in Chrome or you can press F6 once or twice.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of JM Casey
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2019 2:51 PM

Ctrl-o will open a local file on just about any other browser, so it’s best to get used to ctrl-l, no matter what browser you are using currently.

Hi all,

Dave Mitchell

Hi,  In my case, I have to regularly unload and reload JAWS to keep this edit field viable.  To no good end, I have advised Vispero about this annoyance since JAWS 18.  Mitch

“No matter how cynical you become, it’s never enough to keep up.”  Lily  Tomlin

Sent: Monday, February 18, 2019 3:48 PM

Hi all,

I am on the Jaws private beta list and while a few Chrome related bugs have been reported in the current beta and are being worked on, I have never experienced nor heard of anybody having a problem accessing the address bar whether you do it with Control + L, Alt + D or by pressing F6. I used to get to the address bar from any web page by pressing F6 once, it looks like a Chrome update has slightly changed that since the first press of F6 takes you to the currently open tab, then a second press of F6 takes me to the address bar.

Maybe you can explain in more detail exactly what is happening for you, but if you report something nobody can reproduce it is difficult to pinpoint what is wrong.

Regards,

Sieghard

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave Mitchell
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2019 5:14 PM

Hi,  In my case, I have to regularly unload and reload JAWS to keep this edit field viable.  To no good end, I have advised Vispero about this annoyance since JAWS 18.  Mitch

“No matter how cynical you become, it’s never enough to keep up.”  Lily  Tomlin

Sent: Monday, February 18, 2019 3:48 PM

Hi all,

Dave Durber

In Internet Explorer, CTRL+L and CTRL+O, both take you to the place where you can type a URL address.

Sincerely:

Dave Durber

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2019 10:48 PM

Hi all,

Dave Durber

That is correct.

Sincerely:

Dave Durber

Sent: Monday, February 18, 2019 10:50 PM

Hi all,

Steve Nutt

No, they don’t.  In Internet Explorer, CTRL+L is for a Local file.  If you type a URL in it, it will still work, rather than saying don’t be so silly. <Smile>.

All the best

Steve

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave Durber
Sent: 19 February 2019 08:42

In Internet Explorer, CTRL+L and CTRL+O, both take you to the place where you can type a URL address.

Sincerely:

Dave Durber

Sent: Monday, February 18, 2019 10:48 PM

Hi all,