Keyboard Manager in JAWS and Beyond

Marquette, Ed <ed.marquette@...>

I have a Lenovo laptop, which I love, but it has a Print Screen key instead of an applications key.  That has been no problem.  I just go to Keyboard Manager, choose to send the applications key, and assign that function to the Print Screen key.  It was that easy in JAWS 16.  I just tried doing it in JAWS 17 (not my favorite version), and I found keyboard manager had changed entirely.  I suspect JAWS 18 will have the same completely baffling changes to Keyboard Manager.

I do not remember any mention that JAWS 17 completely screwed up keyboard manager.

Regardless, has anyone tried to translate this relatively simple function into the brave new world of JAWS 17 and beyond?

I. Edward Marquette

Direct Dial:  816.502.4646

Mobile:  816.812.0088

Google Voice:  408.692.5640

Facsimile:  816.960.0041

Kutak Rock LLP

2300 Main Street, Suite 800

Kansas City, MO 64108

ed.marquette@...

Thank you.

Steve Griffiths

Hi Ed,

I've got JAWS18 and, like you, I couldn't find it in the keyboard manager. But I was able to find it in the script manager.

Here were the steps I went through:

1. Insert + 0 to go into the script manager,

2. Ctrl + Shift + D to load the default scripts

3. Ctrl + L to get a list of scripts,

4. find the SendApplicationKey script,

5. Ctrl + D to open its documentation,

6. Tab to the Assign To hotkey edit,

7. press the Print Screen key

8. Tab to the OK button and press it

9. Ctrl + S to compile the script

10. Alt + F4 to close the script manager.

Steve

[...]

Registered Office: Hillfields, Burghfield Common, Reading, Berkshire, RG7 3YG. A company limited by
guarantee registered in England and Wales (291646) and a charity registered in England and Wales
(209617) and Scotland (SC038979).

Tel: 0118 9835555
Website: www.guidedogs.org.uk
Email: guidedogs@...

Soronel Haetir

I re-assign print screen at the windows level rather than in jaws. I
use a program called sharp keys (available at
https://sharpkeys.codeplex.com/ ) to do so.

On 10/28/16, Steve Griffiths <steve.griffiths@guidedogs.org.uk> wrote:
[...]

ed.marquette@kutakrock.com<mailto:ed.marquette@kutakrock.com>

________________________________
E-mail message.

Email: guidedogs@guidedogs.org.uk
--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Marquette, Ed <ed.marquette@...>

Steve:

These steps worked fine – up to a point.  I was able to do everything down to the point at which I found “Send Applications Key.”  Your instructions then said to press control + d to open the documentation.  Alas!  That is when things stopped working.  The cursor jumped to a line in the actual default script source code at the point for “decrease Braille …”  I thought you perhaps meant to say Alt + d, but that did not work either.  I think I’ll try the help file.  I feel I’m pretty close.

Someone else on the list (I do not remember who it was) suggested using windows to make the switch.  Alas!  That seemed to require running another program.  This is the firm’s laptop, and to run an executable file that is not part of the firm’s image takes an act of Congress, a year to wait, and the actions of someone in our IT department who refuses to read JAWS documentation.

If I can do it myself, that is far preferable.

[...]

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

Hi Steve,

Is there a way to get the default JSS file back before trying to modify it? Not sure if I can just delete it and it will recreate itself, but before I do this I wanted to ask.

I followed your instructions and everything worked fine, but now when I am in an email and arrow down to read it Jaws always says “ Unknown function call

To: whichscreenisthis

The ladder, to make it easier to understand is “Which Screen is this”.

I am also getting this a lot as I am typing this and when I press the enter key to start a new line. Very annoying and I hope I can get my Default script file back from before I tried this.

Regards,

Sieghard

[...]

I feel I didn't explain well enough.

Once you've got the list of scripts with Ctrl + L, and your focus is on SendApplicationKey, press Enter to leave the list of scripts and you should be at the start of the actual script. DownArrow once so that your focus is "inside" the script, then press Ctrl + D.

Does that work?

[...]

Hi Sieghard,

You can get your default back. Or rather, when you make changes to the default script, JAWS saves it into a different location so you can delete that and return to the original.

One way to do this is from the Start menu. I'm using Windows 7, and I press Start, UpArrow once to All Programs, Enter to choose it, DownArrow to the JAWS entry, Enter to open it, DownArrow to Explore JAWS, Enter to open it.

Choose Explore My Settings to go to the folder that contains the altered script files. There are three that you'll need to get rid of; default.jss, default.jsb and default.jsd.

Hope that helps?

[...]

I think I have followed your directions.

I first open the Script Manager.

Then, I ensure the default file is loaded with control + shift + d.

Then, I press control + l to get a list of scripts.

I press “s” to save pressing PageDown 10,000 times.  Then, I arrow down to “Send Applications Key.”

Making triple certain I’m on the right line, the one that says “Send Applications Key,” I press ENTER.

The message I get goes something like this:

“Script not found. “Send Applications Key is found in the Documentation.  Press “Yes” to delete.”

Not intending to delete anything, I bail out at this point.

[...]

The only thing I can suggest here is to delete any changes you've made to the script file and start again. I mentioned how to do this in a previous message in this thread directed at Sieghard.

Thanks,

[...]

Cristóbal

For what it’s worth, I’ve always used the shift+F10 command to bring  up the applications menu on my laptops. Never bothered with reassigning keys be it with the keyboard manager in Jaws or with scripts at least for this particular issue. At this point, the shift+F10 command is as second  nature to me as is bringing up the system tray.

[...]

That's just it, I am so used to having a real applications key from
using desktop keyboards that trying to re-train myself to use
shift+f10 is very difficult. Hard enough to use a single key in the
wrong place.

And worse, with recent HP laptops at least there is no separation
between the F-keys to make groups like you would find on a desktop (or
even on older HP laptops) - despite the fact that I use full size
laptops. That makes using a particular F-key an exercise in counting
every single time for me.

What's even more frustrating, the physical laptop case is slightly
larger than my last HP that had a proper keyboard as I reckon things
but the keys are crunched into a slightly smaller area, and thus why
they got rid of the applications key and the grouping of F-keys.

<mailto:ed.marquette@kutakrock.com> ed.marquette@kutakrock.com

_____

<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.guidedogs.org.uk&d=DQMGaQ&c=CMYNxKEx9XwzkNg9QU6ZcPKnuXk0aDlw3v_02OUU55A&r=LwcLJ7qDHC7BpuK0FQQOM8NngMoERRDlqGQilLc0omA&m=kJVwD0hjbHYwkGsHaqzl6HlQgzdZyW2k4lzOLRcAOZg&s=AawosFwQMgX6RYuhGRk6IyvsyYXpZwss2fhpIywFz70&e=>

Email: guidedogs@guidedogs.org.uk

Registered Office: Hillfields, Burghfield Common, Reading, Berkshire, RG7
3YG. A company limited by
guarantee registered in England and Wales (291646) and a charity registered
in England and Wales
(209617) and Scotland (SC038979).

Tel: 0118 9835555
Website: www.guidedogs.org.uk
Email: guidedogs@guidedogs.org.uk

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Cristóbal

I use locater dots on my keyboards. Be it the laptop or mechanical I find it convenient to get my Barings faster especially in instances like the laptop where keys aren't as spaced apart.
Usually keys 2, 6 and 0 on the number row and F4, F7 and F12 since these are the most frequent functions keys I use with Jaws and at the same time, I can use them as landmarks for the other function keys for other commands.
A split second here and there throughout the day and it becomes noticeable

[...]

That's an interesting idea, I'll have to consider it. I spend enough
time counting to get the right F-key that something that would cut
down on that need would be welcome. (That is one nice thing about
mapping the print screen key, it does still have separation so is easy
to find).

On 11/1/16, Cristóbal <crismunoz54@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

message in error, please notify the sender at 402-346-6000 and delete
this
[...]

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

Most definitely, if for nothing else the dash and underline key. I like it on the 4 and 7 to, for one reason, so many passwords having numbers in them, and when you type, it says star.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

[...]

Thanks again for this idea, I ordered some and after applying them the
F-keys are instantly eaiser to locate.

[...]

Mike Ulrich <mulrich@...>

Another good way to mark keys on a keyboard is to cut strips of the soft side of self-adhesive Velcro to fit individual keys.
I have these strips of soft Velcro on my Tab, Control and Alt keys on the left side of the keyboard.
The Backspace, Enter, Control and Alt keys on the right side. Then the five on the number pad. I also have it on theF4 key too.
I only use those locator dots; I call them Speed Bumps, on my home keys; F and J.

But anyone can mark their keyboard, however it suits them best. But Velcro is a great option because you can cut the material to cover the whole key.

Just my 1.5 cents worth. LOL!

[...]

Which dots do you guys find work the best with respect to staying on and so on. I have in the past asked sighted friends to use this glue stuff that you can use to make raised lines or dots for this purpose, but it's a bit tricky and of course you can't use your keyboard for at least 12 hours or so afterwards while this sets up.

Regards,
Sieghard

[...]

/Dots I've used previously came loose and left the key sticky -- really sticky -- and getting the glue off was a huge pain.

[...]

I'm sure there are dots and there are dots which is why I asked so it's good to know that some of them leave behind unwanted stickyness if they come off. That is one advantage of the glue or whatever that stuff is they sell to make these raised lines/dots, once it dries it is pretty good if applied correctly and you can peal it off without leaving anything behind.

Regards,
Sieghard

[...]

I just use Scotch tape.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

[...]

recipients above and may contain information that is privileged,
attorney work product or otherwise protected by applicable law. If
you have received this message in error, please notify the sender at
402-346-6000 and delete this E-mail message.
Thank you.

The Guide Dogs for the Blind Association Registered Office: