reading column titles automatically in excel 2010 with jaws 2018/2019

William Windels

Hello,

It would be nice if the column-titles in a excel file could be spoken automatically while navigating into tables.

e.g. if I am in row 73 of column t of a table, I would hear the column-title.

With jaws 2018, insert+alt+shift+c should do the job but not automatically.

But, when I do insert+alt+shift+c, I hear no column title.

I don’t understand this message since the first row of the document has cel-content that I can use to filter a column.

I have tried something in the quick settings of jaws2018 but the column-headers aren’t spoken.

I don’t know if this is possible and if so, what kind of settings the excel 2010 document should have to let this work.

Many thx for any idea.

Kind regards,

William Windels

Met vriendelijke groeten

William Windels

Incident Manager SWO

02/506 0 487 (niet bereikbaar op maandag en vrijdag)

george b <gbmagoo@...>

It can go to www.freedomscientific.com  and find the web and r for this subject and make it happen.

[...]

Sally Hagarty

When you are in Column 1, Row 1, type Insert alt control c and Insert alt control r.
That is information that Freedom tech support gave me last week. Hope that helps.

Ann Byrne

Be sure the cursor is on the row and column you want to be considered headers. If headers are in row 3, and you are in row 1, JAWS thinks row 1 is headers.

My preferred way of setting row/column titles is to use Excel's bookmarking feature.

1. Place the cursor at the intersection of the row and column that are the headers.
2. Press the applications key.
3. Arro to "define name dot dot dot" and press enter.
4. Type the word title and press enter.

If row/column titles are not spoken, alt+tab away from the workbook and then alt+tab back.

A cool thing is that if this is a worksheet you use repeatedly--as for example a sheet for January, a similar sheet for February, one for March--save-as will include the bookmarks (row and column titles) on the new sheet.

This is explained in the JAWS training materials probably more clearly than I just did it.

good luck.

ann