Jaws and chess

Marilyn Bland <tinkerbelltx@...>

Hello everyone,

I'm not sure where to start my search, so perhaps someone on the list can
tell me. I want to know about playing chess on-line or using the computer,
and wonder how Jaws does with facilitating this? While I play on a regular
board, I can't always find partners, and thought this would be a way round
the problem.

I was also told, though I have not been able to verify this, that there is
an actual board that can be activated using speech software. Are the on-line
games accessible for Jaws users?

Are there chess players on this list? Any information would be greatly
appreciated. If I need to find a different list for my questions, I would
appreciate references to them.

Many thanks.

Marilyn

Edward Green

Hi Marilyn,

You have various options for playing chess online, including email, Skype and various chat rooms. You can also play chess against the computer using a variety of free and paid software packages. Fritz is probably the best, though I'm not sure which version works best with JAWS. Winboard was a good free (though basic) alternative, which may still be available.

Assuming you're in the US, it would be worth checking out the US Braille Chess Association website, www.americanblindchess.org, which provides more details on the various online options.

Other countries (such as the UK where I am) have their own Braille Chess Associations which also run email and over-the-board tournaments, which aren't restricted to people from those countries.

Cheers,

Ed

On 10 Feb 2019, at 21:20, Marilyn Bland <tinkerbelltx@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Hello everyone,

I'm not sure where to start my search, so perhaps someone on the list can
tell me. I want to know about playing chess on-line or using the computer,
and wonder how Jaws does with facilitating this? While I play on a regular
board, I can't always find partners, and thought this would be a way round
the problem.

I was also told, though I have not been able to verify this, that there is
an actual board that can be activated using speech software. Are the on-line
games accessible for Jaws users?

Are there chess players on this list? Any information would be greatly
appreciated. If I need to find a different list for my questions, I would
appreciate references to them.

Many thanks.

Marilyn

Richard Turner

There is a free chess game from Spoonbill Software, along with many other These are designed to play on your computer. If you have a smart phone; there are accessible chess game apps. Shredder Chess and Chess-Wise 3, at least for iPhones.
Here is Spoonbill's web address:

Assuming you're in the US, it would be worth checking out the US Braille Chess Association website, https://eur01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=www.americanblindchess.org&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C0436c2b523434cac7cfd08d68fa2ac8d%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636854326167555523&amp;sdata=osaoQQi19UiJJtMjv1IRVfXsbGWV8uc%2BUxAOuvw2prc%3D&amp;reserved=0, which provides more details on the various online options.

On 10 Feb 2019, at 21:20, Marilyn Bland <tinkerbelltx@...> wrote:

Hello everyone,

I'm not sure where to start my search, so perhaps someone on the list can
tell me. I want to know about playing chess on-line or using the computer,
and wonder how Jaws does with facilitating this? While I play on a regular
board, I can't always find partners, and thought this would be a way round
the problem.

I was also told, though I have not been able to verify this, that there is
an actual board that can be activated using speech software. Are the on-line
games accessible for Jaws users?

Are there chess players on this list? Any information would be greatly
appreciated. If I need to find a different list for my questions, I would
appreciate references to them.

Many thanks.

Marilyn

Chris Chaffin

Hello,

It is not a computer program, but when it comes to playing chess, there is also the US Blind Chess Association. You can play both by email and by Skype. There is friendly games as well as several tournaments that you can participate in if you want.
If you would like more information, please feel free to contact me off list.

Chris Chaffin
chaffin102468@gmail.com

Their website can be found at:
http://www.americanblindchess.org