Selecting noncontiguous folders from list in File Explorer

John Doering

Hello:

I just can’t remember how to select a group of noncontiguous folders from a folder list in File Explorer.

Can someone please refresh me?

If needed, I am using Windows 10 with JAWS 2019.

Thanks,

John Doering

Administrative Pricing Asst

p. 4147783040 Extn:4063  t. 800-642-8778

NOTICE: The information contained in this email and any document attached hereto is intended only for the named recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, nor the employee or agent responsible for delivering this message in confidence to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that you have received this transmittal in error, and any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this transmittal or its attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmittal and/or attachments in error, please notify me immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message, including any attachments.

Jason White

John Doering <john.doering@ibvi.org> wrote:
I just can't remember how to select a group of noncontiguous folders from a folder list in File Explorer.
Can someone please refresh me?

Move focus to the first folder to be selected; hold down the control key; move
to each subsequent folder that needs to be selected and press space to select
it. Upon completion, release the control key.

Delaunay Christophe

Hi John,

Did you try to press and hold the <ctrl> key while moving in the folder with the arrow keys? And when you want to select the element you are on, just press the space bar. Release the <ctrl> key only when you are finished with selecting all the elements you want.

Note: If you press an arrow key once more after having released the <ctrl> key, the selection is cancelled.

I do it all the time on windows 7. I had occasions to do it on a windows 8.1 computer but only can hope it still works the same in windows 10.

HTH. Have a nice day. Chris D

[...]

Chris and Jason:

Thanks, just what I was looking for.

Regards,

[...]

By the way, if you're in a situation where you want the vast majority of files/folders in a given location selected, but need to leave a few out, you can do this process "in reverse" as well

Hit CTRL+A to Select ALL
Hold down the CTRL Key, keeping it held, and up/down arrow to the individual files/folders you don't want and hit Spacebar when you're on them to deselect
Release the CTRL Key

It can be a lot less tedious when you want most, but not all, than selecting them one by one with CTRL held down.

John Doering

Thanks Brian.

John Doering

Administrative Pricing Asst

p. 4147783040 Extn:4063  t. 800-642-8778

By the way, if you're in a situation where you want the vast majority of files/folders in a given location selected, but need to leave a few out, you can do this process "in reverse" as well

Hit CTRL+A to Select ALL
Hold down the CTRL Key, keeping it held, and up/down arrow to the individual files/folders you don't want and hit Spacebar when you're on them to deselect
Release the CTRL Key

It can be a lot less tedious when you want most, but not all, than selecting them one by one with CTRL held down.

Dave...

Brian,

Very welcome information, very obvious once you know the trick, but something I had never thought to attempt. Thanks!

Dave