Topics

Microsoft Edge Under Windows 7

Peter Donahue

Hello everyone,

We'll be upgrading to JFW 2019 on this machine later today. I know
that Microsoft Edge runs under Windows 10 but will it work under Windows 7?
We have some Websites we want to try browsing using Edge for accessibility
purposes. Otherwise I'll need to get access to a computer with Windows 10,
Microsoft Edge, and JFW 2019 installed on it to run these tests. I'm also
raising funds to buy myself a new desktop which of course would have Windows
10 and Edge installed. Thanks for your help.

Peter Donahue

No, Edge is part of Windows 10 only.
Better to use Chrome, very accessible, very fast and the most used browser out there.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Peter Donahue
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2019 11:05 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Microsoft Edge Under Windows 7

Hello everyone,

We'll be upgrading to JFW 2019 on this machine later today. I know that Microsoft Edge runs under Windows 10 but will it work under Windows 7?
We have some Websites we want to try browsing using Edge for accessibility purposes. Otherwise I'll need to get access to a computer with Windows 10, Microsoft Edge, and JFW 2019 installed on it to run these tests. I'm also raising funds to buy myself a new desktop which of course would have Windows

Peter Donahue

James Malone

No. Microsoft edge only runs under windows 10.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Peter
Donahue
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2019 11:05 PM

Hello everyone,

Peter Donahue

Mario

no. Edge works only in Windows 10.

-------- Original Message --------
Sent: Thu, Jan 31, 2019 2:05 AM EST

Hello everyone,

Peter Donahue

There's really no purpose in focusing on Edge accessibility at this juncture anyway.   Microsoft has already announced that it will be retired and replaced with a browser based on Chromium (which, of course, serves as the basis for Google Chrome browser as well).

Edge is a dead end.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

Explanations exist; they have existed for all time; there is always a well-known solution to every human problem — neat, plausible, and wrong.

~ H.L. Mencken, AKA The Sage of Baltimore

Exactly, although I had not heard that Edge was a dead end, I just assumed Edge would remain Edge, just changed and based on Chromium, but then of course it could very well get a new name. It really doesn’t matter, at this point I don’t see a point to use it since Chrome is superior and has better accessibility.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2019 8:11 AM
Subject: Re: Microsoft Edge Under Windows 7

There's really no purpose in focusing on Edge accessibility at this juncture anyway.   Microsoft has already announced that it will be retired and replaced with a browser based on Chromium (which, of course, serves as the basis for Google Chrome browser as well).

Edge is a dead end.

--

Explanations exist; they have existed for all time; there is always a well-known solution to every human problem — neat, plausible, and wrong.

Hi,

There might be a possibility that the browser name will be changed, but that’s a remote possibility.

Also, regarding Edge being compatible with Windows 7: yes and no depending on if you’re talking about current browser landscape or the one coming in the future. No, Edge isn’t compatible with Windows 7 at the moment, but Microsoft is working on a technology to bring at least the new Edge to Windows 7 (mostly for businesses).

Cheers,

Joseph

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2019 8:33 AM

Exactly, although I had not heard that Edge was a dead end, I just assumed Edge would remain Edge, just changed and based on Chromium, but then of course it could very well get a new name. It really doesn’t matter, at this point I don’t see a point to use it since Chrome is superior and has better accessibility.

Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2019 8:11 AM

Edge is a dead end.

--

Name change or not, the Microsoft browser of the future will have entirely different underpinnings than the Edge browser of today.

I'll clarify:  Focusing on accessibility and accessing the Edge browser of today is a dead end.

Once the tectonic shift occurs where its replacement, even if same-named, is released then it's worth the time and effort.
--

Hi all,

Brian is right. For those using Windows 10, you’ll feel one of the consequences Brian wrote about in April.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2019 9:03 AM

Name change or not, the Microsoft browser of the future will have entirely different underpinnings than the Edge browser of today.

I'll clarify:  Focusing on accessibility and accessing the Edge browser of today is a dead end.

Once the tectonic shift occurs where its replacement, even if same-named, is released then it's worth the time and effort.
--

Mario

but as I heard, it will retain the name of Edge. it's just the code base
that will use a derivation of Chrome's called Anaheim (I think that's
spelled right).

-------- Original Message --------
Sent: Thu, Jan 31, 2019 11:10 AM EST

There's really no purpose in focusing on Edge accessibility at this
juncture anyway.   Microsoft has already announced that it will be
retired and replaced with a browser based on Chromium (which, of course,
serves as the basis for Google Chrome browser as well).

Edge is a dead end.

--

Brian *-*Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763

*/   Explanations exist; they have existed for all time; there is always
a well-known solution to every human problem — neat, plausible, and wrong./*

~ H.L. Mencken, AKA /The Sage of Baltimore/

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 12:39 PM, Mario wrote:
it will retain the name of Edge. it's just the code base
that will use a derivation of Chrome's called Anaheim
That they'll retain the name Edge is irrelevant.  The Edge browser that's been on Windows 10 up to and including Version 1809 is not, in any way, the same or even vaguely similar to what will replace it, even if the replacement is called Edge.  That code base change is monumental.

My central point is we're talking about 2 completely different programs, even if they share a brand name.

--

Brian,

I think we all understand that essentially Edge, if the name stays, will become a different browser from what it is now. But anything else is just semantics, I could argue that “Edge is a dead end” is an incorrect statement because once Edge becomes a Chromium based browser it might turn out to be really good, maybe just as good as Chrome or better and hence “Edge” is not a dead end. You argue it’s a dead end in it’s current form and given the current technology used, but as I said, it’s just words.

Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2019 10:33 AM

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 12:39 PM, Mario wrote:

it will retain the name of Edge. it's just the code base
that will use a derivation of Chrome's called Anaheim

That they'll retain the name Edge is irrelevant.  The Edge browser that's been on Windows 10 up to and including Version 1809 is not, in any way, the same or even vaguely similar to what will replace it, even if the replacement is called Edge.  That code base change is monumental.

My central point is we're talking about 2 completely different programs, even if they share a brand name.

--

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 01:46 PM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:
I think we all understand that essentially Edge, if the name stays, will become a different browser from what it is now
Based on some of the previous comments, I disagree with your assessment.  The fact that people are hung up on the name staying the same indicates a lack of accurate perspective.  As a former programmer, I feel it's my obligation to drive the point home that Edge as it is currently implemented is, unquestionably, a dead end.

And with this I'm done.  If anyone wishes to believe otherwise, so be it.

--