Topics

jfw and governmentjobs.com

Jed Barton <jedbarton@...>

Hey guys,

OK, so something must be going on with the government jobs.com
website. I am trying to fill out an app. So most of it i can fill
out. However, in the work experience section, it wants you to select
the country where you worked. So i'm trying to select the US from the
dropdown. Jaws isn't happy with the dropdown. It tells me press up
and down arrow to navigate. I press the down arrow, and it crawls
through the page, where i have to select from over 200 countries. So
i hit U for US, and it doesn't go there. Any ideas on what to do? I
tried pressing shift down arrow, and it said list box, then nothing.
I have to get this application filled out. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jed

Bill White

Hi, Jed. Don't press SHIFT Down Arrow. Press ALT Down Arrow. It also matters which browser you are using. You might also want to try ALT plus Down Arrow at the combo box, then press the end key, and arrow back up to U.S. This will take less time than arrowing down to the countries beginning with U.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

OK, so something must be going on with the government jobs.com
website. I am trying to fill out an app. So most of it i can fill
out. However, in the work experience section, it wants you to select
the country where you worked. So i'm trying to select the US from the
dropdown. Jaws isn't happy with the dropdown. It tells me press up
and down arrow to navigate. I press the down arrow, and it crawls
through the page, where i have to select from over 200 countries. So
i hit U for US, and it doesn't go there. Any ideas on what to do? I
tried pressing shift down arrow, and it said list box, then nothing.
I have to get this application filled out. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jed

Mike B. <mike9902@...>

Hi Jed,

Here's something that might have to do with what's happening with government websites
From the Malwarebytes newsletter

Government shutdown impacts .gov websites, puts Americans in danger - Malwarebytes Labs | Malwarebytes Labs

Security certificates

We aren’t going to
 dig deep into how security certificates work
 for websites, but the gist is that every vendor or organization that uses a website requires a security certificate for users to access their site with
trust. Today, a few browsers, like Chrome, require these certificates before they even let users access the websites. You can recognize when a website
uses a valid security certificate, usually indicated by a
green lock
 on the URL bar.

The certificate confirms that the identity of the website that you are communicating with is legitimate. In addition, these certificates make it possible
for users to establish a secure connection with the web server hosting the site, which is incredibly important when sending financial or personal information
over the Internet.

Since some of the most popular browsers won’t even let users visit a website if it doesn’t have a valid certificate, we now have a lot of users who can’t
access government websites because the certificates have expired.

Why did they expire?

If a security certificate lasted forever, what would be the assurance that it hasn’t been stolen by criminals who could then use it on their own malicious
websites? Because of this, the organization that owns the website must purchase and deploy a new certificate each year. Think of it as a yearly registration
fee, not unlike renewing your car tags.

The reason these certificates were allowed to lapse is because no one’s at work renewing them. Apparently, most US government websites maintain their own
certificates. This is why not all US .gov websites are down—just a few of them (at least for now). With the partial shutdown, the people in charge of making
sure citizens can access their websites by keeping these certificates up-to-date are unable to do their jobs, which eventually leads to users being unable
to access these sites at all.

What’s the problem?

Obviously, not being able to access some government websites is a pain, but is it dangerous? The answer is: yes, because you can bet that cybercriminals
are going to take advantage of the situation.

That is why we want to share some vital warnings about how this shutdown may help cybercriminals. Please, share this with everyone you know, at least until
the shutdown is over.

Cybercriminals frequently use real-world events to trick users into clicking on a link or opening an attachment. You can look back at a couple of instances
where events in
Syria directly influenced the actions of cybercriminals,
be it state sponsored or otherwise. In another case, the
Boston bombing
 was used to try and scam people. From terrorist attacks to natural disasters, threat actors jump on the chance to exploit episodes of fear and uncertainty.

01/YoutubeSS-1024x539

Fake YouTube page set up to infect Syrian rebels

You can expect that users who are looking for government websites, especially if they offer a service or require personal information or a login to access,
are going to find copies of these sites presented as an alternative to access the same website.

01/Fake-ICA-website

Fake Singapore government website. Photo credit: Gov.SG

Users who rely on social services—typically older folks, veterans, or the disabled—will be looking for a way to access the government sites they frequent.
When they search for the site, their first link might take them to a dead end, since the security certificate has expired. However, the second or third
link might work and take the user to a page that looks exactly like where they want to go.

Classic phishing attack.

What to do about it

The best thing to do right now is share this information with those closest to you so they don’t make a mistake and give away valuable personal info just
because the government has issues keeping itself open. Also, be vigilant moving forward, not just in this case but anytime there is sensational news. Don’t
just accept what the Internet tells you. Investigate. Think twice. And please, please, when in doubt, do not submit your personal information online.

The bad guys know human behavior, and they know that people can’t help clicking on links that are either convenient or scandalous and sensational. Prove
them wrong.

Stay safe out there!

Take care.  Go Rams!
Sent from my iBarstool.