No font

Richard Turner

Anyone out there have a clue why in a program Jaws would report No Font when pressing insert+f?

That works in all other applications.

This is about CSS HTML Validator from www.htmlvalidator.com

The very strangest thing is that this same program works on my computer at work just fine.

Richard

Mike B. <mike9902@...>

Hi Richard,

It seems like every line of that website has different font or as you said no font.
Take care.  Go Rams!
Sent from my iBarstool.

Sent: Sunday, January 20, 2019 10:35 AM
Subject: No font

Anyone out there have a clue why in a program Jaws would report No Font when pressing insert+f?

That works in all other applications.

This is about CSS HTML Validator from www.htmlvalidator.com

The very strangest thing is that this same program works on my computer at work just fine.

Richard

Richard Turner

I’m actually talking about using the program on my laptop.

Opening a file, or typing into a blank file, Jaws reads nothing.

There is a trial version that can be downloaded if anyone wants to check it out and see what happens, but my guess is, there is something unique to my system since the program works on my work laptop and on that of a Microsoft employee who tried to duplicate my issue.

So, I’m really asking a more generic question if anyone knows what would cause Jaws to report “no font” in a text editor?

I have relied on this program for years for validating my html code and truly hate to lose it.  It has to be some crazy thing about my system, but I am clueless as to where to even look.

I hit a brick wall with FS.

Sent: Sunday, January 20, 2019 10:35 AM

Anyone out there have a clue why in a program Jaws would report No Font when pressing insert+f?

That works in all other applications.

This is about CSS HTML Validator from www.htmlvalidator.com

The very strangest thing is that this same program works on my computer at work just fine.

Richard

Mike B. <mike9902@...>

Sometimes when I open my email or various other files Jaws reads nothing but, will read if I close & restart Jaws.  I'm not saying this will work with what you're experiencing, but it won't hurt to give it a try.
Take care.  Go Rams!
Sent from my iBarstool.

Sent: Sunday, January 20, 2019 10:35 AM

Anyone out there have a clue why in a program Jaws would report No Font when pressing insert+f?

That works in all other applications.

This is about CSS HTML Validator from www.htmlvalidator.com

The very strangest thing is that this same program works on my computer at work just fine.

Richard

Richard Turner

Mike, no, it doesn't work. I've tried that, also rebooting, reinstalling, cursing, not yet tried standing on my head, but ...
Enjoy the Rams game, I am going to go listen to the pregame and try distracting myself.
Later,
Richard

Sent: Sunday, January 20, 2019 10:35 AM

Anyone out there have a clue why in a program Jaws would report No Font when pressing insert+f?

That works in all other applications.

This is about CSS HTML Validator from www.htmlvalidator.com

The very strangest thing is that this same program works on my computer at work just fine.

Richard

Dave...

Richard,

A couple weird ideas...

1. Did you unintentionally rotate the screen?
2. Did you unintentionally change the background or foreground colors?
3. Did you unintentionally change your screen resolution?

Okay, three things...

Dave

Sent: Sunday, January 20, 2019 10:35 AM

Anyone out there have a clue why in a program Jaws would report No Font when pressing insert+f?

That works in all other applications.

This is about CSS HTML Validator from www.htmlvalidator.com

The very strangest thing is that this same program works on my computer at work just fine.

Richard

Richard Turner

Well, my sighted wife doesn't see any changes compared to other programs, like word or outlook, and she would surely notice if the screen was rotated, etc.
I'm not sure how I would accidentally changed the resolution or background or foreground colors and have it only mess up that one program.
Good ideas though.
Richard

Sent: Sunday, January 20, 2019 10:35 AM

Anyone out there have a clue why in a program Jaws would report No Font when pressing insert+f?

That works in all other applications.

This is about CSS HTML Validator from www.htmlvalidator.com

The very strangest thing is that this same program works on my computer at work just fine.

Richard

Mike B. <mike9902@...>

Hi Richard,

Does your work computer have a different program assigned to read this program with?  What I mean is, you know some programs will open using Notepad as the assigned program, like in IE11, I have Notepad as the HTMl editor.  Or, I have VLC as my default media player.  Maybe this program needs a program assigned so Jaws can read it.  I'm just throwing ideas out there.
Take care.  Go Rams!
Sent from my iBarstool.

Sent: Sunday, January 20, 2019 10:35 AM

Anyone out there have a clue why in a program Jaws would report No Font when pressing insert+f?

That works in all other applications.

This is about CSS HTML Validator from www.htmlvalidator.com

The very strangest thing is that this same program works on my computer at work just fine.

Richard

Richard Turner

mike,
Good thought, but no. It has its own editor and needs no other program. It is completely self contained. That is why this is so frustrating.
I have absolutely no clue why it would be different on my machine. I did nothing different when installing on either machine.
I am very doubtful even that Microsoft could help unless I can have the two computers side by side and have them log in to both.
That ain't gonna happen. So I'm about ready to just give it up.
Thanks for your help.
Richard
Congrats to the Rams.

Sent: Sunday, January 20, 2019 10:35 AM

Anyone out there have a clue why in a program Jaws would report No Font when pressing insert+f?

That works in all other applications.

This is about CSS HTML Validator from www.htmlvalidator.com

The very strangest thing is that this same program works on my computer at work just fine.

Richard

One thing that has not yet been mentioned is what Windows this system is using.  There may be additional options depending on what that is.

Richard Turner

Sorry if you missed it, but I have stated that it is Windows 10 64 bit; but that hasn't been repeated in recent posts. I know I need to always make that clear. If you have any ideas, I'd love to hear them.
Richard

On Jan 20, 2019, at 5:30 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

One thing that has not yet been mentioned is what Windows this system is using.  There may be additional options depending on what that is.

Richard,

            Even though this might seem extreme, really peculiar issues like this tend to be the result of corruption, whether with the Windows 10 install or the program install.  One of the things I've routinely done when I get these inexplicable errors under Windows 10 is to do an "install over" reinstall keeping all existing files and applications.  You can use either one of the two following instruction sets to do that.  Pick the one with the style you find easiest to follow:

Doing an In-place "Upgrade" to Reinstall Windows 10 Keeping Apps/Programs and User Files

Non Destructive Repair of Windows 10 - Answers to commonly asked questions

Richard Turner

Another very strange thing that this idea might solve is that my shortcut keys for programs like Word, Outlook, Excel, etc., work fine if I am running Jaws 2018, but if I launch Jaws 2019, none of them work.  Between that and the no font issue with CSS HTML Validator, has me ready to do this.  Can it be done without sighted help.

Richard

            Even though this might seem extreme, really peculiar issues like this tend to be the result of corruption, whether with the Windows 10 install or the program install.  One of the things I've routinely done when I get these inexplicable errors under Windows 10 is to do an "install over" reinstall keeping all existing files and applications.  You can use either one of the two following instruction sets to do that.  Pick the one with the style you find easiest to follow:

Doing an In-place "Upgrade" to Reinstall Windows 10 Keeping Apps/Programs and User Files

Non Destructive Repair of Windows 10 - Answers to commonly asked questions

Richard,

           Yes, it can be done without sighted help if you have sufficient patience.  With Windows 10 Version 1809 (and I think this feature came in with 1803) you can fire up Narrator during the install process (CTRL+WinKey+Enter) and it will tell you what's going on.  You do have to be at the stage where it can be activated, which is often several minutes after the whole process has begun.

            I would very strongly suggest using one of the "bootable media" methods, whether that's using the Media Creation Tool to directly create a bootable USB drive or to download the ISO, then burn the ISO to optical media or transfer it to bootable USB using Rufus or similar.

            I will presume you take regular full system image backups along with separate user data backups.  Definitely do both prior to undertaking this task as you want to be able to recover quickly and easily were something horrible to go wrong.   I have not had anything horrible go wrong using this technique, and I've used it way more than once, but this is a "better safe than sorry" sort of situation.

             Given the additional information you've offered I would definitely recommend doing the "install-over install" in hopes that it will correct the issues identified.