Topics

Backblaze?

Jessica D

Hello,
I'm wondering if anyone has ever heard of, or used backup software called "backblaze?"

Does it work with Jaws?

I have both a mac and pc, but the hard-drive on my mac officially failed permanently today, and I don't have a backup of my data.

I'd hate for this to happen to my pc, so any and all feedback is greatly appriciated.

Thanks,
Jessica

Marten Post Uiterweer

Hi Jessica,

I am using Backblaze. It will backup things in the cloud.
It is accessible.

You can not really tell what files will be backed up. It automaticly
backs up things. Not your windows folder or executable files.

To restore, you have to go to ther website and specify the date and
what files you want or folder.
And they also have an app for your phone.
It is doable.

Regards, Marten

On Thu, 17 Jan 2019 15:34:17 -0500 "Jessica D" <jldail13@...> wrote:

Hello,
I'm wondering if anyone has ever heard of, or used backup software called "backblaze?"

Does it work with Jaws?

I have both a mac and pc, but the hard-drive on my mac officially failed permanently today, and I don't have a backup of my data.

I'd hate for this to happen to my pc, so any and all feedback is greatly appriciated.

Thanks,
Jessica

James Homuth

I'm using it right now. You'll need to use the JAWS cursor to get specifics
re: what the install's telling you, but once it's installed, it couldn't get
any more accessible if it wanted to.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever heard of, or used backup software called
"backblaze?"

Does it work with Jaws?

I have both a mac and pc, but the hard-drive on my mac officially failed
permanently today, and I don't have a backup of my data.

I'd hate for this to happen to my pc, so any and all feedback is greatly
appriciated.

Thanks,
Jessica

Jessica D

Hi,
Does anyone know where Backblaze is located?

Is it free for them to ship a drive containing your data?

Thanks,
Jessica

On Jan 17, 2019, at 3:52 PM, James Homuth <james@...> wrote:

I'm using it right now. You'll need to use the JAWS cursor to get specifics
re: what the install's telling you, but once it's installed, it couldn't get
any more accessible if it wanted to.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever heard of, or used backup software called
"backblaze?"

Does it work with Jaws?

I have both a mac and pc, but the hard-drive on my mac officially failed
permanently today, and I don't have a backup of my data.

I'd hate for this to happen to my pc, so any and all feedback is greatly
appriciated.

Thanks,
Jessica

James Homuth

Backblaze is in the US. California, I believe. It's not free for them to
ship a drive to you, but they have ways of making it up. Also if you decide
not to keep the drive, you're responsible for shipping it back at your own
expense--though they will refund the drive if you ship it back the way they
expect you to.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever heard of, or used backup software
called "backblaze?"

Does it work with Jaws?

I have both a mac and pc, but the hard-drive on my mac officially
failed permanently today, and I don't have a backup of my data.

I'd hate for this to happen to my pc, so any and all feedback is
greatly appriciated.

Thanks,
Jessica

Jessica D

Hi,
Do they have a phone number?

I didn't know that you were allowed to keep the drive.
What would you do with it, since it has your data on it?
How much does it cost to receive a drive?

Thanks,
Jessica

On Jan 17, 2019, at 4:37 PM, James Homuth <james@...> wrote:

Backblaze is in the US. California, I believe. It's not free for them to
ship a drive to you, but they have ways of making it up. Also if you decide
not to keep the drive, you're responsible for shipping it back at your own
expense--though they will refund the drive if you ship it back the way they
expect you to.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever heard of, or used backup software
called "backblaze?"

Does it work with Jaws?

I have both a mac and pc, but the hard-drive on my mac officially
failed permanently today, and I don't have a backup of my data.

I'd hate for this to happen to my pc, so any and all feedback is
greatly appriciated.

Thanks,
Jessica

James Homuth

They don't have a phone number. They do have about 45000000000000 pages of
documentation online, including prices for drive shipments. As I don't have
exact figures handy just at the moment, you might start at their website.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever heard of, or used backup software
called "backblaze?"

Does it work with Jaws?

I have both a mac and pc, but the hard-drive on my mac officially
failed permanently today, and I don't have a backup of my data.

I'd hate for this to happen to my pc, so any and all feedback is
greatly appriciated.

Thanks,
Jessica

Jessica D

Hi,

How big are the zip files you can download for free?

I’m thinking of trying it.

Thanks,

Jessica

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

They don't have a phone number. They do have about 45000000000000 pages of

documentation online, including prices for drive shipments. As I don't have

exact figures handy just at the moment, you might start at their website.

I didn't know that you were allowed to keep the drive.

What would you do with it, since it has your data on it?

How much does it cost to receive a drive?

Thanks,

Jessica

> On Jan 17, 2019, at 4:37 PM, James Homuth <james@...> wrote:

> Backblaze is in the US. California, I believe. It's not free for them

> to ship a drive to you, but they have ways of making it up. Also if

> you decide not to keep the drive, you're responsible for shipping it

> back at your own expense--though they will refund the drive if you

> ship it back the way they expect you to.

James Homuth

You can download a zip file of any size for free. It’ll just take longer if it’s a large one, which is why they recommend the hard drive. It’ll let you download a 4 TB zip file, but I wouldn’t want to be the one downloading it.

They don't have a phone number. They do have about 45000000000000 pages of

documentation online, including prices for drive shipments. As I don't have

exact figures handy just at the moment, you might start at their website.

I didn't know that you were allowed to keep the drive.

What would you do with it, since it has your data on it?

How much does it cost to receive a drive?

Thanks,

Jessica

> On Jan 17, 2019, at 4:37 PM, James Homuth <james@...> wrote:

> Backblaze is in the US. California, I believe. It's not free for them

> to ship a drive to you, but they have ways of making it up. Also if

> you decide not to keep the drive, you're responsible for shipping it

> back at your own expense--though they will refund the drive if you

> ship it back the way they expect you to.

Jessica D

Hi,

Do I have to connect a drive to my computer in order to use backblaze?

Or will it just backup to backblaze itself without a hard-drive?

Thanks,

Jessica

You can download a zip file of any size for free. It’ll just take longer if it’s a large one, which is why they recommend the hard drive. It’ll let you download a 4 TB zip file, but I wouldn’t want to be the one downloading it.

They don't have a phone number. They do have about 45000000000000 pages of

documentation online, including prices for drive shipments. As I don't have

exact figures handy just at the moment, you might start at their website.

I didn't know that you were allowed to keep the drive.

What would you do with it, since it has your data on it?

How much does it cost to receive a drive?

Thanks,

Jessica

> On Jan 17, 2019, at 4:37 PM, James Homuth <james@...> wrote:

> Backblaze is in the US. California, I believe. It's not free for them

> to ship a drive to you, but they have ways of making it up. Also if

> you decide not to keep the drive, you're responsible for shipping it

> back at your own expense--though they will refund the drive if you

> ship it back the way they expect you to.

James Homuth

You do have to tell it which drives to back up. But I think it backs up your c: drive automatically.

You can download a zip file of any size for free. It’ll just take longer if it’s a large one, which is why they recommend the hard drive. It’ll let you download a 4 TB zip file, but I wouldn’t want to be the one downloading it.

They don't have a phone number. They do have about 45000000000000 pages of

documentation online, including prices for drive shipments. As I don't have

exact figures handy just at the moment, you might start at their website.

I didn't know that you were allowed to keep the drive.

What would you do with it, since it has your data on it?

How much does it cost to receive a drive?

Thanks,

Jessica

> On Jan 17, 2019, at 4:37 PM, James Homuth <james@...> wrote:

> Backblaze is in the US. California, I believe. It's not free for them

> to ship a drive to you, but they have ways of making it up. Also if

> you decide not to keep the drive, you're responsible for shipping it

> back at your own expense--though they will refund the drive if you

> ship it back the way they expect you to.

Jessica D

Hi
What’s b2?
Is that the standard version of backblaze, for $5 per month?
Thanks,
Jessica

On Mar 31, 2019, at 8:37 PM, James Homuth <james@...> wrote:

You do have to tell it which drives to back up. But I think it backs up your c: drive automatically.

You can download a zip file of any size for free. It’ll just take longer if it’s a large one, which is why they recommend the hard drive. It’ll let you download a 4 TB zip file, but I wouldn’t want to be the one downloading it.

They don't have a phone number. They do have about 45000000000000 pages of

documentation online, including prices for drive shipments. As I don't have

exact figures handy just at the moment, you might start at their website.

I didn't know that you were allowed to keep the drive.

What would you do with it, since it has your data on it?

How much does it cost to receive a drive?

Thanks,

Jessica

> On Jan 17, 2019, at 4:37 PM, James Homuth <james@...> wrote:

> Backblaze is in the US. California, I believe. It's not free for them

> to ship a drive to you, but they have ways of making it up. Also if

> you decide not to keep the drive, you're responsible for shipping it

> back at your own expense--though they will refund the drive if you

> ship it back the way they expect you to.

James Homuth

You really should be looking at their documentation—all of this is explained there, and this really isn’t the kind of thing the JAWS list is meant for.

You can download a zip file of any size for free. It’ll just take longer if it’s a large one, which is why they recommend the hard drive. It’ll let you download a 4 TB zip file, but I wouldn’t want to be the one downloading it.

They don't have a phone number. They do have about 45000000000000 pages of

documentation online, including prices for drive shipments. As I don't have

exact figures handy just at the moment, you might start at their website.

I didn't know that you were allowed to keep the drive.

What would you do with it, since it has your data on it?

How much does it cost to receive a drive?

Thanks,

Jessica

> On Jan 17, 2019, at 4:37 PM, James Homuth <james@...> wrote:

> Backblaze is in the US. California, I believe. It's not free for them

> to ship a drive to you, but they have ways of making it up. Also if

> you decide not to keep the drive, you're responsible for shipping it

> back at your own expense--though they will refund the drive if you

> ship it back the way they expect you to.

Tyler Wood

Hi,

No you do not. It will back up all drives if you do connect one, though. And the drive will need to stay connected for a time if you do want to back it up so it can index and start transferring the files.

hope that helps!

You can download a zip file of any size for free. It’ll just take longer if it’s a large one, which is why they recommend the hard drive. It’ll let you download a 4 TB zip file, but I wouldn’t want to be the one downloading it.

They don't have a phone number. They do have about 45000000000000 pages of

documentation online, including prices for drive shipments. As I don't have

exact figures handy just at the moment, you might start at their website.

I didn't know that you were allowed to keep the drive.

What would you do with it, since it has your data on it?

How much does it cost to receive a drive?

Thanks,

Jessica

> On Jan 17, 2019, at 4:37 PM, James Homuth <james@...> wrote:

> Backblaze is in the US. California, I believe. It's not free for them

> to ship a drive to you, but they have ways of making it up. Also if

> you decide not to keep the drive, you're responsible for shipping it

> back at your own expense--though they will refund the drive if you

> ship it back the way they expect you to.

Jessica D

Hi
I have it set to backup my C & D drives, but according to the iOS app, it’s not making any progress.
What do I do?
Jaws won’t tell me anything either, other than announcing a “pause backup” button.
Are there Jaws scripts for this program? If so, where can I get them?

On Apr 1, 2019, at 3:31 AM, Tyler Wood <tcwood12@...> wrote:

Hi,

No you do not. It will back up all drives if you do connect one, though. And the drive will need to stay connected for a time if you do want to back it up so it can index and start transferring the files.

hope that helps!

You can download a zip file of any size for free. It’ll just take longer if it’s a large one, which is why they recommend the hard drive. It’ll let you download a 4 TB zip file, but I wouldn’t want to be the one downloading it.

They don't have a phone number. They do have about 45000000000000 pages of

documentation online, including prices for drive shipments. As I don't have

exact figures handy just at the moment, you might start at their website.

I didn't know that you were allowed to keep the drive.

What would you do with it, since it has your data on it?

How much does it cost to receive a drive?

Thanks,

Jessica

> On Jan 17, 2019, at 4:37 PM, James Homuth <james@...> wrote:

> Backblaze is in the US. California, I believe. It's not free for them

> to ship a drive to you, but they have ways of making it up. Also if

> you decide not to keep the drive, you're responsible for shipping it

> back at your own expense--though they will refund the drive if you

> ship it back the way they expect you to.

James Homuth

You’ll need to use the JAWS cursor in the Backblaze application.

You can download a zip file of any size for free. It’ll just take longer if it’s a large one, which is why they recommend the hard drive. It’ll let you download a 4 TB zip file, but I wouldn’t want to be the one downloading it.

They don't have a phone number. They do have about 45000000000000 pages of

documentation online, including prices for drive shipments. As I don't have

exact figures handy just at the moment, you might start at their website.

I didn't know that you were allowed to keep the drive.

What would you do with it, since it has your data on it?

How much does it cost to receive a drive?

Thanks,

Jessica

> On Jan 17, 2019, at 4:37 PM, James Homuth <james@...> wrote:

> Backblaze is in the US. California, I believe. It's not free for them

> to ship a drive to you, but they have ways of making it up. Also if

> you decide not to keep the drive, you're responsible for shipping it

> back at your own expense--though they will refund the drive if you

> ship it back the way they expect you to.

Jessica D

Hi,
My iphone app says nothing has been backed up, and when I go to hte website, and click the “fix this” link, it tells me I need to connect an external drive.

Is that true?
I thought backblaze was supposed to eliminate the need to do this?

Thanks,

Jessica

On Apr 1, 2019, at 9:45 AM, James Homuth <james@...> wrote:

You’ll need to use the JAWS cursor in the Backblaze application.

You can download a zip file of any size for free. It’ll just take longer if it’s a large one, which is why they recommend the hard drive. It’ll let you download a 4 TB zip file, but I wouldn’t want to be the one downloading it.

They don't have a phone number. They do have about 45000000000000 pages of

documentation online, including prices for drive shipments. As I don't have

exact figures handy just at the moment, you might start at their website.

I didn't know that you were allowed to keep the drive.

What would you do with it, since it has your data on it?

How much does it cost to receive a drive?

Thanks,

Jessica

> On Jan 17, 2019, at 4:37 PM, James Homuth <james@...> wrote:

> Backblaze is in the US. California, I believe. It's not free for them

> to ship a drive to you, but they have ways of making it up. Also if

> you decide not to keep the drive, you're responsible for shipping it

> back at your own expense--though they will refund the drive if you

> ship it back the way they expect you to.

James Homuth

Again, this is in the documentation and not an issue appropriate for this list. You had an external drive connected at one point, and now don’t. Backblaze is looking for it. If you don’t connect it, Backblaze will delte what it’s backed up from that drive.

You can download a zip file of any size for free. It’ll just take longer if it’s a large one, which is why they recommend the hard drive. It’ll let you download a 4 TB zip file, but I wouldn’t want to be the one downloading it.

They don't have a phone number. They do have about 45000000000000 pages of

documentation online, including prices for drive shipments. As I don't have

exact figures handy just at the moment, you might start at their website.

I didn't know that you were allowed to keep the drive.

What would you do with it, since it has your data on it?

How much does it cost to receive a drive?

Thanks,

Jessica

> On Jan 17, 2019, at 4:37 PM, James Homuth <james@...> wrote:

> Backblaze is in the US. California, I believe. It's not free for them

> to ship a drive to you, but they have ways of making it up. Also if

> you decide not to keep the drive, you're responsible for shipping it

> back at your own expense--though they will refund the drive if you

> ship it back the way they expect you to.

Jessica D

Hi,
No, I never had an external hard-drive connected to my pc.
I did restore my iphone last night, so maybe it thought the phone was an external hard-drive?
Thanks,
Jessica

On Apr 1, 2019, at 11:34 AM, James Homuth <james@...> wrote:

Again, this is in the documentation and not an issue appropriate for this list. You had an external drive connected at one point, and now don’t. Backblaze is looking for it. If you don’t connect it, Backblaze will delte what it’s backed up from that drive.

You can download a zip file of any size for free. It’ll just take longer if it’s a large one, which is why they recommend the hard drive. It’ll let you download a 4 TB zip file, but I wouldn’t want to be the one downloading it.

They don't have a phone number. They do have about 45000000000000 pages of

documentation online, including prices for drive shipments. As I don't have

exact figures handy just at the moment, you might start at their website.

I didn't know that you were allowed to keep the drive.

What would you do with it, since it has your data on it?

How much does it cost to receive a drive?

Thanks,

Jessica

> On Jan 17, 2019, at 4:37 PM, James Homuth <james@...> wrote:

> Backblaze is in the US. California, I believe. It's not free for them

> to ship a drive to you, but they have ways of making it up. Also if

> you decide not to keep the drive, you're responsible for shipping it

> back at your own expense--though they will refund the drive if you

> ship it back the way they expect you to.

Tyler Wood

Hi,

Did you use the jaws cursor to see the backup progress?

The backblaze website updates every day or two, so far as I know, and not every minute or even every hour.

You also need to keep your pc turned on and make sure it doesn't go to sleep.