How to insert a 1-digit fraction into a 2013 word document

Margaret Johnson

Hello Everyone,

I have JAWS 17, MS Word 2013, and Windows 7, and I need to know how to type in a 1-digit fraction such as one-half for a cooking recipe.  I really would appreciate some step-by-step instructions on how to do this.

Margaret

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Margaret,
Press, Insert / Jaws key + 4, from the number row, to open the symbols list, press the letter, o, until you land on, one half / ½, & press enter to insert the fraction into your document.  Do these steps at the point you want to insert the fraction / symbol.
Take care.
Mike
Sent from my iBarstool.  Go Dodgers!

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, October 15, 2016 10:39 PM
Subject: How to insert a 1-digit fraction into a 2013 word document

Hello Everyone,

I have JAWS 17, MS Word 2013, and Windows 7, and I need to know how to type in a 1-digit fraction such as one-half for a cooking recipe.  I really would appreciate some step-by-step instructions on how to do this.

Margaret

Peter Tesar

That list does not contain the one third or two thirds symbols.

I have always used Word, to generate the single symbol, for the other fractions: one-half, one-quarter and three-quarters.

In Word, just type the 3 characters "1/2". When you press the space-bar, the 3 characters will become the single symbol.
This also applys for the fractions: one-quarter and three-quarters.

How do you create the single symbol for the fractions: one-third and two-thirds?

Peter T.

On 2016-10-16 4:46 PM, Mike B. wrote:
Hi Margaret,
Press, Insert / Jaws key + 4, from the number row, to open the symbols list, press the letter, o, until you land on, one half / ½, & press enter to insert the fraction into your document.  Do these steps at the point you want to insert the fraction / symbol.
Take care.
Mike

Hello Everyone,

Margaret

Margaret Johnson

Thank you very much.

Margaret

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike B.
Sent: Sunday, October 16, 2016 3:47 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: How to insert a 1-digit fraction into a 2013 word document

Hi Margaret,

Take care.
Mike

Hello Everyone,

Margaret

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

I do that too. And with JAWS 17, you have to go through the
O synmbols to get to one half and one fourth.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

-----Original Message-----
Behalf Of Peter Tesar
Sent: Sunday, October 16, 2016 5:04 PM
Subject: Re: How to insert a 1-digit fraction into a 2013
word document

That list does not contain the one third or two thirds
symbols.

I have always used Word, to generate the single symbol, for
the other fractions: one-half, one-quarter and
three-quarters.

In Word, just type the 3 characters "1/2". When you press
the space-bar, the 3 characters will become the single
symbol.
This also applys for the fractions: one-quarter and
three-quarters.

How do you create the single symbol for the fractions:
one-third and two-thirds?

Peter T.

On 2016-10-16 4:46 PM, Mike B. wrote:

Hi Margaret,
Press, Insert / Jaws key + 4, from the number row,
to open the symbols list, press the letter, o, until you
land on, one half / ½, & press enter to insert the fraction
into your document. Do these steps at the point you want to
insert the fraction / symbol.
Take care.
Mike
Sent from my iBarstool. Go Dodgers!
<mailto:margaret@paragould.net>
To: main@jfw.groups.io <mailto:main@jfw.groups.io>
Subject: How to insert a 1-digit fraction into a
2013 word document

Hello Everyone,

I have JAWS 17, MS Word 2013, and Windows 7, and I
need to know how to type in a 1-digit fraction such as
one-half for a cooking recipe. I really would appreciate
some step-by-step instructions on how to do this.

Margaret

Without using the Character Map program or the Insert Symbol command in Word is to use the "insert unicode character" command, which is done by typing the unicode code then immediately hitting ALT+X (no space, nothing after the code).

The one third symbol is unicode character 2153, so if you type 2153 immediately followed by ALT+X you'll get a on third (in Arial, but not all fonts have that symbol).

The two-thirds symbol is 2154.

Here are the available fraction symbols and their unicode code:

one-seventh 2150

one-ninth 2151

one-tenth 2152

one-third 2153

two-thirds 2154

one-fifth 2155

two-fifths 2156

three-fifths 2157

four-fifths 2158

one-sixth 2159

five-sixths 215A

one-eighth 215B

three-eighths 215C

five-eighths 215D

seven-eighths 215E

fraction numerator one 215F  (which gives you one with the slash as one character, after which you can then type in what you want as a denominator)

--
Brian

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.

~ William James

Peter Tesar

I did as you instructed. Now JAWS reads it as:
  vulgar fraction one third

Is there a significance to hearing "vulgar fraction" before the symbol?

Peter T

On 2016-10-16 10:35 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

Without using the Character Map program or the Insert Symbol command in Word is to use the "insert unicode character" command, which is done by typing the unicode code then immediately hitting ALT+X (no space, nothing after the code).

The one third symbol is unicode character 2153, so if you type 2153 immediately followed by ALT+X you'll get a on third (in Arial, but not all fonts have that symbol).

one-seventh 2150

one-ninth 2151

one-tenth 2152

one-third 2153

two-thirds 2154

one-fifth 2155

two-fifths 2156

three-fifths 2157

four-fifths 2158

one-sixth 2159

five-sixths 215A

one-eighth 215B

three-eighths 215C

five-eighths 215D

seven-eighths 215E

fraction numerator one 215F  (which gives you one with the slash as one character, after which you can then type in what you want as a denominator)

--
Brian

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.

~ William James

Peter,

No, the official name for these symbols is "vulgar fraction" followed by what's logical for the actual fraction you've inserted.

It's the technical term for a numerator slash denominator format for a fraction, and that's exactly what they appear like as a single character.
--
Brian

~ William James

Same here and I have had PDF files where I heard this what sounds like “vulgar” in front of numbers or text, very annoying.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Peter Tesar
Sent: Monday, October 17, 2016 4:23 AM

Peter T

one-seventh 2150

one-ninth 2151

one-tenth 2152

one-third 2153

two-thirds 2154

one-fifth 2155

two-fifths 2156

three-fifths 2157

four-fifths 2158

one-sixth 2159

five-sixths 215A

one-eighth 215B

three-eighths 215C

five-eighths 215D

seven-eighths 215E

--
Brian

~ William James

I don't doubt that hearing "vulgar fraction" or just "vulgar" followed by something like one-third is annoying, but how else would a screen reader make clear that you're dealing with the single character format of a fraction as opposed to say, one slash three, for one-third typed out?

I just played with NVDA with several lines that used the three-character numerator slash denominator for one and two thirds, followed by lines with the vulgar fraction character for same.  It reads "one slash three Cuban pesos milk" for what's meant as one-third cup milk and "two slash three Cuban pesos water."  The lines that follow that use the vulgar fraction characters are read as one-third and two-thirds (with no "vulgar" or "vulgar fraction") ahead of it and the word cup is read as cup, not Cuban pesos.

Window-Eyes does the 1 or 2 slash 3 for the three character fractions and reads cup in that context normally.  But, it reads vulgar fraction followed by either "one third" or "two thirds" for the lines that use them.  Cup is pronounced normally.

I'm guessing that if you frequently use vulgar fractions other than the incredibly common one fourth, one half, and three fourths - which I think get consistently read sans any indication of the use of a single vulgar fraction character - that a tweaking of your pronunciation dictionary to drop the "vulgar fraction" part will be needed.
--
Brian

~ William James

I don't want to restart my computer to fire up JAWS in 40-minute mode, so I thought I'd ask here:  Does the JAWS speech dictionary support regular expressions for pattern matching and/or replacement?

I just did a regular expression find and replace in NVDA to force the "cuban pesos" to not say "cuban pesos" if the word cup is preceded by any 3 or more character typed-out fraction.
--
Brian

~ William James

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

In this case, you probably know that vulgar indicates common exact rather than lewd.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Monday, October 17, 2016 11:32 AM

Same here and I have had PDF files where I heard this what sounds like “vulgar” in front of numbers or text, very annoying.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Peter Tesar
Sent: Monday, October 17, 2016 4:23 AM

Peter T

one-seventh 2150

one-ninth 2151

one-tenth 2152

one-third 2153

two-thirds 2154

one-fifth 2155

two-fifths 2156

three-fifths 2157

four-fifths 2158

one-sixth 2159

five-sixths 215A

one-eighth 215B

three-eighths 215C

five-eighths 215D

seven-eighths 215E

fraction numerator one 215F (which gives you one with the slash as one character, after which you can then type in what you want as a denominator)

--
Brian

~ William James

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Cool, as usual  This list could make a dandy document by itself, and I think I’ll create one.

Ted

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Sunday, October 16, 2016 10:36 PM

one-seventh 2150

one-ninth 2151

one-tenth 2152

one-third 2153

two-thirds 2154

one-fifth 2155

two-fifths 2156

three-fifths 2157

four-fifths 2158

one-sixth 2159

five-sixths 215A

one-eighth 215B

three-eighths 215C

five-eighths 215D

seven-eighths 215E

--
Brian

~ William James

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

That must be a granularity issue, as my JAWS just read the fraction.  I use Advanced on almost all programs.

Ted

Sent: Monday, October 17, 2016 11:09 AM

Peter,

No, the official name for these symbols is "vulgar fraction" followed by what's logical for the actual fraction you've inserted.

It's the technical term for a numerator slash denominator format for a fraction, and that's exactly what they appear like as a single character.
--
Brian

~ William James

Ann Byrne

In Excel 2010 you put an apostrophe before the number, or format it under format cells, numbers, as fraction.

At 01:32 PM 10/25/2016, you wrote:
Cool, as usual This list could make a dandy document by itself, and I think I’ll create one.

Ted

Sent: Sunday, October 16, 2016 10:36 PM

one-seventh 2150

one-ninth 2151

one-tenth 2152

one-third 2153

two-thirds 2154

one-fifth 2155

two-fifths 2156

three-fifths 2157

four-fifths 2158

one-sixth 2159

five-sixths 215A

one-eighth 215B

three-eighths 215C

five-eighths 215D

seven-eighths 215E

fraction numerator one 215F (which gives you one with the slash as one character, after which you can then type in what you want as a denominator)

--
Brian

~ William James

ratshtron

another way is to use the alt key and using the numberpad type in let say 0444 and then release the alt key amd the 1/4 symbol is entered.

Legend has it that on Tuesday 10/25/2016 01:41 PM, Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS) said:
----------------------------------------
That must be a granularity issue, as my JAWS just read the fraction. I use Advanced on almost all programs.

Ted

Sent: Monday, October 17, 2016 11:09 AM

Peter,

--
Brian

~ William James
----------------------------------------