How to insert a 1-digit fraction into a 2013 word document

Margaret Johnson

Hello Everyone,

I have JAWS 17, MS Word 2013, and Windows 7, and I need to know how to type in a 1-digit fraction such as one-half for a cooking recipe.  I really would appreciate some step-by-step instructions on how to do this.

Margaret

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Margaret,
Press, Insert / Jaws key + 4, from the number row, to open the symbols list, press the letter, o, until you land on, one half / ½, & press enter to insert the fraction into your document.  Do these steps at the point you want to insert the fraction / symbol.
Take care.
Mike
Sent from my iBarstool.  Go Dodgers!

I have JAWS 17, MS Word 2013, and Windows 7, and I need to know how to type in a 1-digit fraction such as one-half for a cooking recipe.  I really would appreciate some step-by-step instructions on how to do this.

Margaret

Margaret Johnson

Thank you very much.

Margaret

I have JAWS 17, MS Word 2013, and Windows 7, and I
need to know how to type in a 1-digit fraction such as
one-half for a cooking recipe. I really would appreciate
some step-by-step instructions on how to do this.

Margaret

Without using the Character Map program or the Insert Symbol command in Word is to use the "insert unicode character" command, which is done by typing the unicode code then immediately hitting ALT+X (no space, nothing after the code).

The one third symbol is unicode character 2153, so if you type 2153 immediately followed by ALT+X you'll get a on third (in Arial, but not all fonts have that symbol).

The two-thirds symbol is 2154.

Here are the available fraction symbols and their unicode code:

one-seventh 2150

one-ninth 2151

one-tenth 2152

one-third 2153

two-thirds 2154

one-fifth 2155

two-fifths 2156

three-fifths 2157

four-fifths 2158

one-sixth 2159

five-sixths 215A

one-eighth 215B

three-eighths 215C

five-eighths 215D

seven-eighths 215E

fraction numerator one 215F  (which gives you one with the slash as one character, after which you can then type in what you want as a denominator)

--
Brian

         ~ William James

Peter Tesar

I did as you instructed. Now JAWS reads it as:
  vulgar fraction one third

Is there a significance to hearing "vulgar fraction" before the symbol?

Peter T

On 2016-10-16 10:35 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

[...]

            No, the official name for these symbols is "vulgar fraction" followed by what's logical for the actual fraction you've inserted.

            It's the technical term for a numerator slash denominator format for a fraction, and that's exactly what they appear like as a single character.
--
Brian

         ~ William James

Same here and I have had PDF files where I heard this what sounds like “vulgar” in front of numbers or text, very annoying.

On 2016-10-16 10:35 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

[...]

I don't doubt that hearing "vulgar fraction" or just "vulgar" followed by something like one-third is annoying, but how else would a screen reader make clear that you're dealing with the single character format of a fraction as opposed to say, one slash three, for one-third typed out?

I just played with NVDA with several lines that used the three-character numerator slash denominator for one and two thirds, followed by lines with the vulgar fraction character for same.  It reads "one slash three Cuban pesos milk" for what's meant as one-third cup milk and "two slash three Cuban pesos water."  The lines that follow that use the vulgar fraction characters are read as one-third and two-thirds (with no "vulgar" or "vulgar fraction") ahead of it and the word cup is read as cup, not Cuban pesos.

Window-Eyes does the 1 or 2 slash 3 for the three character fractions and reads cup in that context normally.  But, it reads vulgar fraction followed by either "one third" or "two thirds" for the lines that use them.  Cup is pronounced normally.

I'm guessing that if you frequently use vulgar fractions other than the incredibly common one fourth, one half, and three fourths - which I think get consistently read sans any indication of the use of a single vulgar fraction character - that a tweaking of your pronunciation dictionary to drop the "vulgar fraction" part will be needed.
--
Brian

         ~ William James

I don't want to restart my computer to fire up JAWS in 40-minute mode, so I thought I'd ask here:  Does the JAWS speech dictionary support regular expressions for pattern matching and/or replacement?

I just did a regular expression find and replace in NVDA to force the "cuban pesos" to not say "cuban pesos" if the word cup is preceded by any 3 or more character typed-out fraction.
--
Brian

         ~ William James

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

In this case, you probably know that vulgar indicates common exact rather than lewd.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

On 2016-10-16 10:35 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

[...]

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Cool, as usual  This list could make a dandy document by itself, and I think I’ll create one.

Ted

[...]

That must be a granularity issue, as my JAWS just read the fraction.  I use Advanced on almost all programs.

Ted

            No, the official name for these symbols is "vulgar fraction" followed by what's logical for the actual fraction you've inserted.

            It's the technical term for a numerator slash denominator format for a fraction, and that's exactly what they appear like as a single character.
--
Brian

         ~ William James

Ann Byrne

In Excel 2010 you put an apostrophe before the number, or format it under format cells, numbers, as fraction.

At 01:32 PM 10/25/2016, you wrote:
[...]

ratshtron

another way is to use the alt key and using the numberpad type in let say 0444 and then release the alt key amd the 1/4 symbol is entered.