Is There a Way For Me to Change...

Annabelle Susan Morison

The field of "Date Created" in a file? I go into properties in Windows 7, but when I press F2 on the given field, it won't let me edit the information. Is there an accessible way to change it without ruining the file? The file I'm trying to change was originally created on 11/11/2015 at 10:12 AM, but now it says that it was created on 11/13/2015 at 5:10 PM. How would I change it back to the original creation date?

Alex Stone <alex.stone@...>

don't thin windows will let you change this. I'm sure it would be possible for someone to write a program to do it, but why do you want to change the date?I

On 27/12/2015 16:49, Annabelle Susan Morison wrote:
The field of "Date Created" in a file? I go into properties in Windows 7, but when I press F2 on the given field, it won't let me edit the information. Is there an accessible way to change it without ruining the file? The file I'm trying to change was originally created on 11/11/2015 at 10:12 AM, but now it says that it was created on 11/13/2015 at 5:10 PM. How would I change it back to the original creation date?

Date created cannot be changed through any easy means since it's meant to denote when file was actually created.  What gets shown by default in the generic "date" field in Windows Explorer is not date created, but date modified.  Any time a file is edited by any program that makes any changes that get saved the date modified will be updated.  Date created remains fixed at the date the file was created on the system.

You get some interesting results when you copy files with regard to these two dates.  The copied versions will have a date created of the date & time when you pasted them.  However, their date modified will be carried over from the original files, so you can have something that shows a date created of today but a date modified of three years ago.

Brian

Annabelle Susan Morison

The reason why I want to change the date is because I originally made the file on 11/11/2015 at 10:12 AM< and I want it to have that as the "Date Created", instead of 11/13/2015 at 5:10 PM.

don't thin windows will let you change this. I'm sure it would be possible for someone to write a program to do it, but why do you want to change the date?I

On 27/12/2015 16:49, Annabelle Susan Morison wrote:
The field of "Date Created" in a file? I go into properties in Windows 7, but when I press F2 on the given field, it won't let me edit the information. Is there an accessible way to change it without ruining the file? The file I'm trying to change was originally created on 11/11/2015 at 10:12 AM, but now it says that it was created on 11/13/2015 at 5:10 PM. How would I change it back to the original creation date?

Adrian Spratt

In principle the date created cannot change, but in reality it can. I’ve noticed it myself, but I haven’t determined what might cause it to happen. It can cause problems, such as in figuring out which of two related, similarly-named files came first.

You get some interesting results when you copy files with regard to these two dates.  The copied versions will have a date created of the date & time when you pasted them.  However, their date modified will be carried over from the original files, so you can have something that shows a date created of today but a date modified of three years ago.

Brian

Dave...

Try looking in file properties, and go to the summary tab. Using advanced settings you may be able to change that date setting to one you like.

Dave Carlson

Sent: Sunday, December 27, 2015 09:19 AM

The reason why I want to change the date is because I originally made the file on 11/11/2015 at 10:12 AM< and I want it to have that as the "Date Created", instead of 11/13/2015 at 5:10 PM.

don't thin windows will let you change this. I'm sure it would be possible for someone to write a program to do it, but why do you want to change the date?I

On 27/12/2015 16:49, Annabelle Susan Morison wrote:
The field of "Date Created" in a file? I go into properties in Windows 7, but when I press F2 on the given field, it won't let me edit the information. Is there an accessible way to change it without ruining the file? The file I'm trying to change was originally created on 11/11/2015 at 10:12 AM, but now it says that it was created on 11/13/2015 at 5:10 PM. How would I change it back to the original creation date?

Annabelle Susan Morison

How would I do that in Windows 7?

Sent: Sunday, December 27, 2015 09:19 AM

The reason why I want to change the date is because I originally made the file on 11/11/2015 at 10:12 AM< and I want it to have that as the "Date Created", instead of 11/13/2015 at 5:10 PM.

don't thin windows will let you change this. I'm sure it would be possible for someone to write a program to do it, but why do you want to change the date?I

On 27/12/2015 16:49, Annabelle Susan Morison wrote:
The field of "Date Created" in a file? I go into properties in Windows 7, but when I press F2 on the given field, it won't let me edit the information. Is there an accessible way to change it without ruining the file? The file I'm trying to change was originally created on 11/11/2015 at 10:12 AM, but now it says that it was created on 11/13/2015 at 5:10 PM. How would I change it back to the original creation date?

Dennis Clark <dennis@...>

Hello Annabelle,
I'm puzzled how the creation date got changed in the first place. If you place focus on the file name, then press alt, and arrow down to properties, does it state that the creation date is November 11 or 13? In properties, it should give both the creation date and modification date. Please let us know.
Dennis