Is There a Way For Me to Change...

Annabelle Susan Morison

The field of "Date Created" in a file? I go into properties in Windows 7, but when I press F2 on the given field, it won't let me edit the information. Is there an accessible way to change it without ruining the file? The file I'm trying to change was originally created on 11/11/2015 at 10:12 AM, but now it says that it was created on 11/13/2015 at 5:10 PM. How would I change it back to the original creation date?

Alex Stone <alex.stone@...>

don't thin windows will let you change this. I'm sure it would be possible for someone to write a program to do it, but why do you want to change the date?I

On 27/12/2015 16:49, Annabelle Susan Morison wrote:
The field of "Date Created" in a file? I go into properties in Windows 7, but when I press F2 on the given field, it won't let me edit the information. Is there an accessible way to change it without ruining the file? The file I'm trying to change was originally created on 11/11/2015 at 10:12 AM, but now it says that it was created on 11/13/2015 at 5:10 PM. How would I change it back to the original creation date?

Date created cannot be changed through any easy means since it's meant to denote when file was actually created.  What gets shown by default in the generic "date" field in Windows Explorer is not date created, but date modified.  Any time a file is edited by any program that makes any changes that get saved the date modified will be updated.  Date created remains fixed at the date the file was created on the system.

You get some interesting results when you copy files with regard to these two dates.  The copied versions will have a date created of the date & time when you pasted them.  However, their date modified will be carried over from the original files, so you can have something that shows a date created of today but a date modified of three years ago.

Brian

Annabelle Susan Morison

The reason why I want to change the date is because I originally made the file on 11/11/2015 at 10:12 AM< and I want it to have that as the "Date Created", instead of 11/13/2015 at 5:10 PM.

Sent: Sunday, December 27, 2015 8:59 AM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Re: Is There a Way For Me to Change...

don't thin windows will let you change this. I'm sure it would be possible for someone to write a program to do it, but why do you want to change the date?I

Adrian Spratt

In principle the date created cannot change, but in reality it can. I’ve noticed it myself, but I haven’t determined what might cause it to happen. It can cause problems, such as in figuring out which of two related, similarly-named files came first.

Sent: Sunday, December 27, 2015 12:15 PM

Date created cannot be changed through any easy means since it's meant to denote when file was actually created.  What gets shown by default in the generic "date" field in Windows Explorer is not date created, but date modified.  Any time a file is edited by any program that makes any changes that get saved the date modified will be updated.  Date created remains fixed at the date the file was created on the system.

You get some interesting results when you copy files with regard to these two dates.  The copied versions will have a date created of the date & time when you pasted them.  However, their date modified will be carried over from the original files, so you can have something that shows a date created of today but a date modified of three years ago.

Brian

Dave...

Try looking in file properties, and go to the summary tab. Using advanced settings you may be able to change that date setting to one you like.

Dave Carlson
Oregonian, woodworker, Engineer, Musician, and Pioneer

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, December 27, 2015 09:19 AM

The reason why I want to change the date is because I originally made the file on 11/11/2015 at 10:12 AM< and I want it to have that as the "Date Created", instead of 11/13/2015 at 5:10 PM.

Annabelle Susan Morison

How would I do that in Windows 7?

Sent: Sunday, December 27, 2015 9:30 AM

Try looking in file properties, and go to the summary tab. Using advanced settings you may be able to change that date setting to one you like.

Dave Carlson
Oregonian, woodworker, Engineer, Musician, and Pioneer
Sent: Sunday, December 27, 2015 09:19 AM

Dennis Clark <dennis@...>

Hello Annabelle,
I'm puzzled how the creation date got changed in the first place. If you place focus on the file name, then press alt, and arrow down to properties, does it state that the creation date is November 11 or 13? In properties, it should give both the creation date and modification date. Please let us know.
Dennis

Sent: Sunday, December 27, 2015 9:19 AM

Annabelle,

As is typical, when there's a will, there's a way and someone will have written a utility to do what you're looking to do.  In this case that someone is Nir Sofer with his BulkFileChanger utility.

Take a look at this article regarding using BulkFileChanger first.

I cannot say how well this program will work with JAWS as I've never tried it, either with or without JAWS.  A am, however, familiar with this gentleman's work and it's generally good, so I hope it's coded in such a way that it interacts with JAWS as one would hope it might.

Brian

Annabelle Susan Morison

It states the Creation Date as November 13, and it states the modification date as 12/23.

Sent: Sunday, December 27, 2015 9:54 AM

Hello Annabelle,
I'm puzzled how the creation date got changed in the first place. If you place focus on the file name, then press alt, and arrow down to properties, does it state that the creation date is November 11 or 13? In properties, it should give both the creation date and modification date. Please let us know.
Dennis

Sent: Sunday, December 27, 2015 9:19 AM

Mike B <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Annabelle & Adrian,

I'm not very familiar with the way the Time Stamp feature is used but, could this be used / modified to deal with this issue?
Take care.
Mike

Sent: Sunday, December 27, 2015 9:26 AM

In principle the date created cannot change, but in reality it can. I’ve noticed it myself, but I haven’t determined what might cause it to happen. It can cause problems, such as in figuring out which of two related, similarly-named files came first.

Brian

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

I guess you could cheat if you know how to manipulate the old DOS Date command.  Just set your system back, resave the file, and reset the date back to the current date.  It may not work, and I can’t see why anyone would want to do it, but that’s the best I can come up with on short notice.

Ted

Brian

Ted,

That wouldn't work unless you did a Save As on the file, as "Date Created" literally sticks with a file and remains unchanged after the first save of that particular copy.  It's particularly interesting to see some of the "date weirdness" you can get when you copy files, as the copies have a Date Created stamp of the time of the copy but the Date Modified stamp is carried over from the file copied from.  It's odd to see a file that says it was modified at a date earlier than its date created.

Also, the BulkFileChanger utility does allow you to tweak any of the date metadata.  However, since it was written by a European, and there is a desire to make certain that there is no ambiguity regarding what a date actually is, it requires the use of DD/MM/YYYY format for the dates.

Brian

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

I think I remember that MM/DD/YYYY format.  It’s a loopy idea, but all I could think of at that moment.  I recall a time about 15 or 20 years ago when my master date got changed without my active (or certainly intentional) intervention, and played havoc with a  time-limited program I was testing.  I went back and use the old DOS date prompt to put back the real calendar date.

Ted

Sent: Wednesday, January 06, 2016 10:30 AM

Ted,

That wouldn't work unless you did a Save As on the file, as "Date Created" literally sticks with a file and remains unchanged after the first save of that particular copy.  It's particularly interesting to see some of the "date weirdness" you can get when you copy files, as the copies have a Date Created stamp of the time of the copy but the Date Modified stamp is carried over from the file copied from.  It's odd to see a file that says it was modified at a date earlier than its date created.

Also, the BulkFileChanger utility does allow you to tweak any of the date metadata.  However, since it was written by a European, and there is a desire to make certain that there is no ambiguity regarding what a date actually is, it requires the use of DD/MM/YYYY format for the dates.

Brian