From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Annabelle Susan Morison
Sent: Saturday, October 15, 2016 7:48 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: JAWS and Progress Bars

Hi, it's Annabelle.

I know that in NVDA, there's a parameter where you can choose to have progress bars "Speak" or "Beep", and I wonder if JAWS can do the same as well? If so, what's the parameter I could use to select whether JAWS speaks or beeps when announcing progress bars? So far, the only parameters I've found for progress bars in JAWS are "Spoken" and "Silent".

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Yes, in the Settings Center, default all applications, under Speech & Sounds Schemes, this can be done.  The Progress Bar  option is in the, Control Type, tab.
Take care.
Mike
Sent from my iBarstool.  Go Dodgers!

I’m not seeing where you could make it beep, but in the edit box of the setting center, type in progress and the progress bar announcement will be the first choice.  Press spacebar to cycle through the different options. There is 5 seconds, and others, plus off that you could select. No beep though.

Kimsan Song

kimsansong@...

I know that in NVDA, there's a parameter where you can choose to have progress bars "Speak" or "Beep", and I wonder if JAWS can do the same as well? If so, what's the parameter I could use to select whether JAWS speaks or beeps when announcing progress bars? So far, the only parameters I've found for progress bars in JAWS are "Spoken" and "Silent".

Annabelle Susan Morison

What I mean is, I want to have JAWS beep at an increasing pitch when a progress bar moves along, for example, when loading a project in Cakewalk Sonar.

[...]

I'm confused. Are you saying JAWS can't have a beep that increases in pitch like that of NVDA? That's an example of "Playing a sound", is it not?

[...]

Mario

as I recall, having the descending beeps for a progress bar was a
project years ago, but was abandoned because of scripting/coding
complexities. but the project was resurrected and implemented in the
NVDA screen reader.

kimsansong@outlook.com <mailto:kimsansong@outlook.com>