Outlook not reading Addresses

Randy Meyer

When I start a new email in Outlook, it is not reading the addresses when I start typing.  For example, I am in the to field and type the letter t, I am told that there are five email addresses that start with t in my list, but when I arrow down it is no longer speaking the addresses.

I am using office 365 with Jaws 2019.

It use to read the addresses and let me arrow and select from a list.  Now it appears like there is a list that is not being read.

I will play around to see if NVDA or Narrator work correctly.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Randy Meyer

Randy Meyer

Inputting email addresses in Outlook works correctly with narrator.  I am able to arrow down and select the email address I want.  It does not work correctly with NVDA or Jaws.

Again, any thoughts on getting this to work correctly with Jaws would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Randy Meyer

When I start a new email in Outlook, it is not reading the addresses when I start typing.  For example, I am in the to field and type the letter t, I am told that there are five email addresses that start with t in my list, but when I arrow down it is no longer speaking the addresses.

I am using office 365 with Jaws 2019.

It use to read the addresses and let me arrow and select from a list.  Now it appears like there is a list that is not being read.

I will play around to see if NVDA or Narrator work correctly.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Randy Meyer

Randy Meyer

I just loaded Jaws 2018 and that does read the address selection in Outlook correctly.  Although, Jaws 2018 did ask me if I wanted to install an update and I said no, in case that update would cause the same problem I am encountering with Jaws 2019.

Weird that Jaws 2018 and narrator would read the address selection, but Jaws 2019 and NVDA will not.  I guess that why we have options.

Randy Meyer

When I start a new email in Outlook, it is not reading the addresses when I start typing.  For example, I am in the to field and type the letter t, I am told that there are five email addresses that start with t in my list, but when I arrow down it is no longer speaking the addresses.

I am using office 365 with Jaws 2019.

It use to read the addresses and let me arrow and select from a list.  Now it appears like there is a list that is not being read.

I will play around to see if NVDA or Narrator work correctly.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Randy Meyer

Hi,

The general cause is screen readers not being aware of UIA implementations in recent outlook releases. I’m thinking something might be going on with JAWS 2019’s UIA support in Outlook, but we may need to talk to Vispero about it (talk to me privately about NVDA, as there is a research project to fix this and related bugs in one go).

Cheers,

Jsoeph

[...]

Dan Longmore

Yes, this is a JAWS  issue, sometimes it works and others not so much.

Dan