Have you experienced this problem before with your old machine?

Michael Munn

hi all, this is Michael again.
I have experienced this problem since this passed October.
My computer is getting old and I have experienced a  problem.
Every time I turn my computer on from sleeping mode My speaker starting to act up.
When Jaws speak's the speaker just crack and suddently it speaks again and the speaker make Jaws sounds like robot.
I  don't know if you seasoned user experienced this problem before?
What should I do?
Do I need to send the machine back to the shop and get it fixed?
All answers are greatly appreciate it.
Best regards
Michael Munn

Michael Munn
 National Federation of Virginia   www.nfbv.org
Member: Maryland Association of Blind Students
National Federation of Maryland www.nfbmd.org

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Michael. It sounds like you need to do something with your sound drivers in the computer. Either they got updated by mistake, and you need to roll them back to what they were before, or, you need to update them yourself if they weren’t updated.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

I have experienced this problem since this passed October.

My computer is getting old and I have experienced a  problem.

Every time I turn my computer on from sleeping mode My speaker starting to act up.

When Jaws speak's the speaker just crack and suddently it speaks again and the speaker make Jaws sounds like robot.

I  don't know if you seasoned user experienced this problem before?

What should I do?

Do I need to send the machine back to the shop and get it fixed?

All answers are greatly appreciate it.

Best regards

Michael Munn

Michael Munn

 National Federation of Virginia   www.nfbv.org

Member: Maryland Association of Blind Students

National Federation of Maryland www.nfbmd.org

netbat66

don't use sleep mode. grin
many times the drivers do not re load properly from sleep mode
and windows can get pretty flaky if you never do a complete shut down at least once per day.

I have experienced this problem since this passed October.
My computer is getting old and I have experienced a problem.
Every time I turn my computer on from sleeping mode My speaker starting to act up.
When Jaws speak's the speaker just crack and suddently it speaks again and the speaker make Jaws sounds like robot.
I don't know if you seasoned user experienced this problem before?
What should I do?
Do I need to send the machine back to the shop and get it fixed?
All answers are greatly appreciate it.
Best regards
Michael Munn

Michael Munn
National Federation of Virginia www.nfbv.org
Member: Maryland Association of Blind Students
National Federation of Maryland www.nfbmd.org
www.hadley.edu

David Ingram

Hi, I was about to say something that someone else already stated but maybe please don't forget to perform the basic things that help to keep your computer operating the best it can. disk cleanup, and disk defragmenter, also don't forget to if you have windows defender to perform a complete scan of your system to make sure that you don't have any viruses. some times, you even might want to make sure that you delete you search history as well.

I have experienced this problem since this passed October.
My computer is getting old and I have experienced a  problem.
Every time I turn my computer on from sleeping mode My speaker starting to act up.
When Jaws speak's the speaker just crack and suddently it speaks again and the speaker make Jaws sounds like robot.
I  don't know if you seasoned user experienced this problem before?
What should I do?
Do I need to send the machine back to the shop and get it fixed?
All answers are greatly appreciate it.
Best regards
Michael Munn

Michael Munn
 National Federation of Virginia   www.nfbv.org
Member: Maryland Association of Blind Students
National Federation of Maryland www.nfbmd.org

Dave Durber

Hello there:

If you have any solid state drives connected to a computer system,  You must never use chkdsk or disk defragmenter on those drives.

Sincerely:

Dave Durber

[...]

Chris Hill

Not quite. You should not use a defrag utility, but there is absolutely no problem using a chkdsk program on an ssd, in fact it is recommended to fix file system issues.

https://askleo.com/should-i-run-chkdsk-on-my-ssd/

On 1/11/2019 11:28, Dave Durber wrote:

[...]

Don Mauck

To add to this, if you have performance issues with your solid state drive, make sure you turn the defrag off.

[...]

In my previous posting on this thread, I stated that you should never use chkdsk on SSd drives. I wish to make a slight correction to that statement.

You can use chkdsk, without any switches,  in "Read Only" mode, on SSD drives, to have Windows check an SSD drive.

If Windows detects any errors on an SSD drive, you should use the manufacturers SSD utility program, to make repairs.

In general, I have found that manufacturers SSD utility programs are not generally accessible to those of us who use screen-readers, so, if you download one of these utility programs, you will more than likely need visual assistance

Is anyone on this list using third party software they could suggest, which we can use instead of Manufacturer's disk utility software.

Please let us know.

Sincerely:

Dave Durber

[...]

Hello Chris:

I have checked several sites but, the results I got were not ddefinitive either way. So, for me, I will go on using chkdsk in "Read Only" mode for the time being to check my SSD's performance.

Sincerely:

Dave Durber

[...]

I really don't think you have anything to worry about.  You'll need chkdsk to fix a file system error if you get one, I don't believer manufacturers' software is going to do that.  Even chkdsk's surface scan is read only, if it were writing then it would fix bad sectors on hard disk drives that are supposed to be locked out when read and written, and believe me, that never works.