2 JAWS problems

Rahul Bajaj

Hi All,

I use JAWS 2018, Win 10. The 2 problems are:
1. In Word, I use Word 10 because 16 has some bugs, it says sometimes:
"use your reading keys to read the text." and then JAWS starts acting
sporadically. It does not delete words when I press back space and
becomes generally unresponsive. Only solution is turning JAWS off and
on. This keeps happening every few minutes.
2. In Outlook 16, when writing emails, there is a noticeable lag in
the responsiveness of JAWS. it takes a minute to type down what I say
and so on. I have to write my mails in notepad and then copy-paste
them. Thoughts?

Best,
Rahul

Rahul Bajaj
Candidate for the BCL
Rhodes Scholar (India and Linacre 2018)
University of Oxford

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

I am using Office 365 with Jaws 2018 and do not have either of those issues. I've never had anything like the Word issue you are talking about.
There are odd pauses with Outlook, but it isn't that often.
I wish I had a suggestion that might help.
How much RAM do you have and what processor does your computer have?
Richard

"He that cannot forgive others, breaks the bridge over which he must pass himself, for every man hath need to be forgiven."

Edward Herbert, 1st Baron Herbert of Cherbury (March 3, 1583 – August 20, 1648)

On Jan 6, 2019, at 5:20 AM, Rahul Bajaj <rahul.bajaj1038@...> wrote:

Hi All,

I use JAWS 2018, Win 10. The 2 problems are:
1. In Word, I use Word 10 because 16 has some bugs, it says sometimes:
"use your reading keys to read the text." and then JAWS starts acting
sporadically. It does not delete words when I press back space and
becomes generally unresponsive. Only solution is turning JAWS off and
on. This keeps happening every few minutes.
2. In Outlook 16, when writing emails, there is a noticeable lag in
the responsiveness of JAWS. it takes a minute to type down what I say
and so on. I have to write my mails in notepad and then copy-paste
them. Thoughts?

Best,
Rahul

Rahul Bajaj
Candidate for the BCL
Rhodes Scholar (India and Linacre 2018)
University of Oxford

JM Casey

When my former workplace switched over to Office 2016 I did notice huge lag times in Outlook. Getting more ram for my workstation did seem to help. It seems ridiculous that an e-mail programme coupled with a screen-reader should need so much ram to operate efficiently, but there you go. If you have 4gb (the minimum to run Windows 10, if I remember right), consider upgrading to 8, or even 16.

As for the Word issue -- might be a long shot, but what is your view set to?

I use JAWS 2018, Win 10. The 2 problems are:
1. In Word, I use Word 10 because 16 has some bugs, it says sometimes:
"use your reading keys to read the text." and then JAWS starts acting sporadically. It does not delete words when I press back space and becomes generally unresponsive. Only solution is turning JAWS off and on. This keeps happening every few minutes.
2. In Outlook 16, when writing emails, there is a noticeable lag in the responsiveness of JAWS. it takes a minute to type down what I say and so on. I have to write my mails in notepad and then copy-paste them. Thoughts?

Best,
Rahul

Rahul Bajaj
Candidate for the BCL
Rhodes Scholar (India and Linacre 2018)
University of Oxford

Dan Longmore

Both of these issues sound like settings that need to be changed under the "View" tab. Especially in Outlook. Just a place to begin checking.
Memory can be an issue especially if you are using other programs at the same time. If Outlook is used in IMap or through Office 365 there is a bit of a delay in reading new mail but no delay should be seen while typing.

Dan