From: Bill White
Sent: Monday, December 17, 2018 9:58 PM
To: JFW Mailing List
Subject: Selected and unselected items

I have discovered a new behavior in JAWS2019's latest update. In the past, if a file, folder, or an icon was selected, and then unselected, you would hear the following.

When the file, folder or icon was selected, such as Recycle Bin, you would hear the item spoken.

JAWS 2018

Recycle Bin

Then if unselected, JAWS would say,

Not Selected Recycle Bin

JAWS 2019's latest update behaves differently. If you select a file, folder or icon, JAWS does not voice the icon, but, instead, says, Selected.

If the item is then unselected with CONTROL plus SPACE, JAWS does not say anything, or indicate that the item has been unselected.

I have reported this behavior to Vispero, and the lady who took my call reported it as a bug. I don't know if this is a bug, or if it is a changed behavior instituted by vispero, as per the silent TAB key. Either way, I am not happy with this change. I want to know if an item is selected or unselected.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Dean. Incidentally, when I went to Default user, selected Text Processing>General>List Item, I tried changing to both to see if this would change the behavior of CONTROL plus SPACE on the desktop, and it didn’t. However, when I tried to change it back to the default, Say Selected, it would not change back, and persisted in saying Selected before every item I arrowed through.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

I haven’t upgraded yet, but it would be interesting to see if they inadvertently changed the default behavior of a setting.the fourth setting in the general section of the text processing dialog is called List Item, and there are four choices.  The default has always been “say not selected.”  It sounds like they may have changed the default, but by changing that setting you may get things back the way they should work.

[...]

Hi, Dean. I tried changing List Item under Text Processing>General, and it didn’t change the behavior when using CONTROL plus SPACE to select and unselect desktop items.

Dean Martineau <topdot@...>