Web site shortcut

T. Civitello

Could someone please refresh my memory? I want to put a shortcut to a Web site on the desktop. I have done it in the past but I don’t remember how.  Thanks, Tom

Gerald Levy

Go to the web site you want to save on your desktop, then launch file menu, scroll up to send submenu and select shortcut to desktop.

Gerald

12/17/2018 1:04 PM, T. Civitello wrote:

Could someone please refresh my memory? I want to put a shortcut to a Web site on the desktop. I have done it in the past but I don’t remember how.  Thanks, Tom

Those instructions are for IE, you don't say which browser you use.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gerald Levy
Sent: Monday, December 17, 2018 10:17 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Web site shortcut

Go to the web site you want to save on your desktop, then launch file menu, scroll up to send submenu and select shortcut to desktop.

Gerald

Mario

actually, the instructions apply to which ever browser is set as the
default browser.

-------- Original Message --------
Sent: Tue, Dec 18, 2018 10:16 AM EST
Subject: Web site shortcut

*From:* main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> *On Behalf Of *Gerald Levy
*Sent:* Monday, December 17, 2018 10:17 AM
*To:* main@jfw.groups.io
*Subject:* Re: Web site shortcut

Go to the web site you want to save on your desktop, then launch file
menu, scroll up to send submenu and select shortcut to desktop.

Gerald

Could someone please refresh my memory? I want to put a shortcut to
a Web site on the desktop. I have done it in the past but I don’t
remember how.  Thanks, Tom

T. Civitello

IE is good. Tom

Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2018 7:16 AM

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gerald Levy
Sent: Monday, December 17, 2018 10:17 AM

Gerald

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

These instructions don't work with Firefox, Mario.

Bill White

billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mario
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2018 7:24 AM

actually, the instructions apply to which ever browser is set as the
default browser.

-------- Original Message --------
Sent: Tue, Dec 18, 2018 10:16 AM EST
Subject: Web site shortcut

*From:* main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> *On Behalf Of *Gerald Levy
*Sent:* Monday, December 17, 2018 10:17 AM
*To:* main@jfw.groups.io
*Subject:* Re: Web site shortcut

Go to the web site you want to save on your desktop, then launch file
menu, scroll up to send submenu and select shortcut to desktop.

Gerald

Could someone please refresh my memory? I want to put a shortcut to
a Web site on the desktop. I have done it in the past but I don’t
remember how. Thanks, Tom

How one creates a desktop shortcut to open in a specific browser varies from browser to browser.

All of the following presume that you are in the browser you wish to have open the shortcut when it's triggered from the desktop, and that you are currently viewing the webpage for which you want the shortcut.

Chrome:
       1. Hit ALT, Down Arrow, L, then use Down Arrow to get to the Create Shortcut menu entry.  [This sequence throws focus to the Chrome Menu button, expands the menu, makes the choice of the "More Tools" menu item, then you're down arrowing though those more tools.  Unfortunately Create Shortcut has no shortcut letter.]
       2.  Once you're on Create Shortcut hit Enter.  You're done.

Firefox:
        1. These instructions are so you can avoid having to use drag and drop, which is the preferred "Firefox method" and so you get the shortcut to always open using Firefox.
        2.  Copy the URL of the webpage you're viewing from the address bar.
        3.  Hit WinKey+D to throw focus on the desktop.  Using this method focus should be on the desktop itself, not an item on it.
        4.  Hit your applications/menu key OR SHIFT+F10, W, S  [Desktop Context Menu, New Item, Shortcut].  This will start the create Shortcut Wizard.
NOTE:  If you don't care whether the shortcut opens in Firefox versus your default browser, if it's not Firefox, follow steps 5 and 6.  If it must be opened in Firefox then proceed to step 7 instead.
        5.  Paste the URL you copied in to the Type the location of the item edit box, then hit the Next button.
        6.  Type whatever you want this shortcut name to be in the Type a name for this shortcut edit box, then hit the Finish button.  You're done.
        7.  In the Type the location of the item edit box, enter the following, in order:
                     a) "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"  (include the quotes and follow this by a single space)
                     b) If you want Firefox to open that URL in a new tab, then enter -new-tab, if a new window, then enter -new-window.  Follow either with a space.
                     c) Paste in the URL of the webpage you want opened in Firefox.
        8.  Hit the Next button, which will bring up the naming dialog.  
        9.  Type whatever you want this shortcut name to be in the Type a name for this shortcut edit box, then hit the Finish button.  You're done.

Unless you specify the browser to be used when creating a URL shortcut, the browser used will be whatever you have set as your default browser.  Chrome makes it quite a bit easier to create a "forced use Chrome" shortcut than Firefox does.

I refuse to even discuss IE, which Microsoft is abandoning, or Edge, which is also in the same boat.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

Explanations exist; they have existed for all time; there is always a well-known solution to every human problem — neat, plausible, and wrong.

~ H.L. Mencken, AKA The Sage of Baltimore