Speaking ProblemWith New Windows 10 Computer

Tom Behler

Hello, everyone.

As some of you may remember, I’m continuing to set up a new Dell Windows 10 computer with Jaws.

The computer has an Intel I7 processor, 16 gigabytes of ram, a 12 gigabyte solid-state drive, and a 1 terabyte mechanical hard drive.

I mention this right from the start, because this computer should have plenty of horse power to work well with Jaws.

I have noticed that, when typing something, after I stop using the computer for 30 seconds or so, I do not get Jaws feedback until I press at least four or five keys.  In other words, there’s a considerable delay until Jaws starts speaking again.

I am thinking this is a Jaws issue, but am not totally sure.

I’m currently using Jaws 2018, and plan to upgrade to Jaws 2019 soon, although I’m a bit hesitant to do so right now because of other known problems with Jaws 2019 and MS Word.

Are there some settings I should look at to try to address this issue?

Thanks as always!

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Tom. Try turning on Narrator, and see if you get the same delay through Narrator. If so, you might have one of the sound cards which go to sleep frequently, and need to be awoken by key presses.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Bill:

It happens with Narrator too.

I’m not sure what to do from here.

Tom Behler

[...]

Hi, Tom. There is a program called Silenzio which is supposed to keep the sound card from going to sleep.

Try downloading it from the following link.

Download Silenzio here

Bill White

billwhite92701@...