Saving an pdf file

T. Civitello

I personally hate having PDFs opened inside a web browser and promptly change the browser settings to have it pass off any PDF files to open with my system PDF viewer.
Any idea where I can find this in IE 10? Thanks Tom

Sent: Monday, December 10, 2018 2:35 PM
Subject: Re: Saveing an pdf file

On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 03:37 PM, Nino Dagostino wrote:
There is this book about linux  in the email if you click on the link it opens a pdf file.
The question also arises:  Where/How does it open it?

Depending on how you have your browser set up it might open up in the browser or the file can be handed off to whatever you have set as your system's default PDF viewer.  If the latter, you can use the Save As feature of the system PDF viewer (e.g., Adobe Acrobat DC).  If the former, there's generally a download control in the browser's PDF presenter, but I haven't played with getting to that control via screen reader.

I personally hate having PDFs opened inside a web browser and promptly change the browser settings to have it pass off any PDF files to open with my system PDF viewer.

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Tom. Once in Internet Explorer:

1. Press ALT plus T for Tools.

2. Arrow down to Manage AddOns, and press ENTER.

3. Make sure you are displaying all AddOns, it should look like this:

Toolbars and Extensions radio button checked

All add-ons

4. Disable any AddOns which pertain to Adobe.

That’s it.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Sent: Monday, December 10, 2018 2:35 PM

On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 03:37 PM, Nino Dagostino wrote:

There is this book about linux  in the email if you click on the link it opens a pdf file.

The question also arises:  Where/How does it open it?

Depending on how you have your browser set up it might open up in the browser or the file can be handed off to whatever you have set as your system's default PDF viewer.  If the latter, you can use the Save As feature of the system PDF viewer (e.g., Adobe Acrobat DC).  If the former, there's generally a download control in the browser's PDF presenter, but I haven't played with getting to that control via screen reader.

I personally hate having PDFs opened inside a web browser and promptly change the browser settings to have it pass off any PDF files to open with my system PDF viewer.

T. Civitello

Trouble is there is no mention of adobe reader or Adobe Acrobat in the add on regardless if I select “all” or currently selected” or any other category.  Tom

[...]

Dean Martineau <topdot@...>

Make sure that on the View tab, in the layout submenu, the folder pane is active. From the message list, press shift+f6 to get to the folder pane.  You can here arrow through your folder names.  When you find one you want to rename, use the context menu key and find Rename Folder in the menu.

Sent: Monday, December 10, 2018 2:35 PM

On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 03:37 PM, Nino Dagostino wrote:

There is this book about linux  in the email if you click on the link it opens a pdf file.

The question also arises:  Where/How does it open it?

Depending on how you have your browser set up it might open up in the browser or the file can be handed off to whatever you have set as your system's default PDF viewer.  If the latter, you can use the Save As feature of the system PDF viewer (e.g., Adobe Acrobat DC).  If the former, there's generally a download control in the browser's PDF presenter, but I haven't played with getting to that control via screen reader.

I personally hate having PDFs opened inside a web browser and promptly change the browser settings to have it pass off any PDF files to open with my system PDF viewer.

Dean Martineau <topdot@...>

Sorry, replied to the wrong message.  Talk about attentiveness!

Sent: Monday, December 10, 2018 2:35 PM

On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 03:37 PM, Nino Dagostino wrote:

There is this book about linux  in the email if you click on the link it opens a pdf file.

The question also arises:  Where/How does it open it?

Depending on how you have your browser set up it might open up in the browser or the file can be handed off to whatever you have set as your system's default PDF viewer.  If the latter, you can use the Save As feature of the system PDF viewer (e.g., Adobe Acrobat DC).  If the former, there's generally a download control in the browser's PDF presenter, but I haven't played with getting to that control via screen reader.

I personally hate having PDFs opened inside a web browser and promptly change the browser settings to have it pass off any PDF files to open with my system PDF viewer.

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Tom. Make sure Adobe Reader DC is your default program to open pdf files. This can be done by searching for the word default in the start menu.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Sent: Monday, December 10, 2018 2:35 PM

On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 03:37 PM, Nino Dagostino wrote:

There is this book about linux  in the email if you click on the link it opens a pdf file.

The question also arises:  Where/How does it open it?

Depending on how you have your browser set up it might open up in the browser or the file can be handed off to whatever you have set as your system's default PDF viewer.  If the latter, you can use the Save As feature of the system PDF viewer (e.g., Adobe Acrobat DC).  If the former, there's generally a download control in the browser's PDF presenter, but I haven't played with getting to that control via screen reader.

I personally hate having PDFs opened inside a web browser and promptly change the browser settings to have it pass off any PDF files to open with my system PDF viewer.

T. Civitello

It wasn’t checked but it is now. I restarted the computer but it still doesn’t show in add on’s. It does however start with the accessibility routine when I download a PDF document on a Web page but it won’t let me save the document. Generally what I do is highlight the document and copy it to the clip board and paste it into note pad. , however some manuals are too large to do this.  Tom

[...]

Tom,

          If your goal is to have a copy of the PDF file saved to your computer, the easiest thing to do is, once you have focus on the link for said file, to hit the applications/menu key or SHIFT+F10 and choose the option usually something like, "Save link as," or, "Save target as," which directly downloads the file without opening it.  You can then open it afterward with the reader of your choice.

T. Civitello

sTried your suggestion. Focused on the PDF download link and hit enter on the save link. It downloaded the Web page.  Tom

Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2018 4:25 PM

Tom,

          If your goal is to have a copy of the PDF file saved to your computer, the easiest thing to do is, once you have focus on the link for said file, to hit the applications/menu key or SHIFT+F10 and choose the option usually something like, "Save link as," or, "Save target as," which directly downloads the file without opening it.  You can then open it afterward with the reader of your choice.

Tom, try again, and carefully read the options.  It's not save link, but save link target or similar.  I don't know what browser you're using so I can't give you the precise phrasing.  Every single web browser supports direct saving of the file that is a link target.

T. Civitello

It is IE 10 and the options are save and save as and they both say unavailable.   Tom

Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2018 5:51 PM

Tom, try again, and carefully read the options.  It's not save link, but save link target or similar.  I don't know what browser you're using so I can't give you the precise phrasing.  Every single web browser supports direct saving of the file that is a link target.

Tom,

        If you have any other browser option then use it.  IE10 is not even the current version of IE.

Just tried this using NVDA in IE11, Chrome, and Firefox, and it works in all.  Here are the instructions, along with a page you can use to find a link to a PDF file or an MS-Word document.  The technique works with any file that a link leads to including pictures, plain text files, spreadsheets, etc., etc., etc.

If you want to play with saving a PDF file (or MS-Word file, in the case of this page) you can use a topic on Bleeping Computer:  Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions - Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7 & Vista

Search on “Speccy” and the first link is to instructions for using it in PDF format.  The second is in MS-Word format.

In IE11, if I hit SHIFT+F10 on either link while using NVDA, the choice for saving the file the link leads to is “Save target as.”  It can be activated by hitting ‘A’ after bringing up the context menu, followed by enter.  You’ll then be presented with a Save as dialog to save the file, which you can rename if you so choose.

In Firefox, the choice is “Save Link as.”  The single letter shortcut to activate it and trigger the Save as dialog after the context menu is up is ‘K.’

In Chrome the choice is “Save link as,” and you have to down arrow to it.  There is no letter shortcut in the context menu for this.

T. Civitello

Sorry, I misinformed. I have IE 11. I was able to save a PDF document by using: control, shift, S after it opened in the browser.  Tom

Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2018 6:16 PM

Tom,

        If you have any other browser option then use it.  IE10 is not even the current version of IE.

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Brian. I have tried this on several occasions, and when I click Save Target As, it wants to save an html document which is only the page where the original link is contained.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...