Word 2013, windows 7: opened document not reading

Ann Byrne

Jaws 17.

When my student opens a document in the documents list, JAWS says "Document, message" and does not read the text. The text is on the screen but not accessible. Printview is on. sometimes it says something about preview, but I can't find a preview screen.

additionally when she opens a new document, it's not the usual document 1, but--for example--document 26, then 27, then 28.

How can we fix this????

Thanks,

Ann

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Ann, there's a label to the immediate left of the ribbon. If memory serves, it invokes a read-only mode that strips a lot of junk and makes difficult documents a little easier to handle. You might give it a shot.
Ted

When my student opens a document in the documents list, JAWS says "Document, message" and does not read the text. The text is on the screen but not accessible. Printview is on. sometimes it says something about preview, but I can't find a preview screen.

additionally when she opens a new document, it's not the usual document 1, but--for example--document 26, then 27, then 28.

How can we fix this????

Thanks,

Ann

Poppa Bear <heavens4real@...>

This may be a long shot, but perhaps go into the task manager after you close all word documents and see if for some reason a MS Word document application is still running and then end it. After that turn off the computer and restart it. Just a shot in the dark.