Thunderbird: is there a single hot Key to get to the nexe unread message?

Peter Tesar

Hello,

My Inbox sometimes has an unread message somewhere amongst the read ones.

The only way to find it is to go through the Go menu

   alt plus g

   arrow right to open the next sub menu

   arrow down to select the next unread message

Is there a single hot key combination to speed up the process?

Thanks,

Peter T.

Gerald Levy

I just started using Thunderbird myself, but I think pressing "N" and "p" go to the next and previous unread message, respectively.

Gerald

On 12/1/2018 5:00 PM, Peter Tesar wrote:

Hello,

My Inbox sometimes has an unread message somewhere amongst the read ones.

The only way to find it is to go through the Go menu

   alt plus g

   arrow right to open the next sub menu

   arrow down to select the next unread message

Is there a single hot key combination to speed up the process?

Thanks,

Peter T.

Gerald,

          You are indeed correct.  A quick web search on "Thunderbird keyboard shortcuts" turns up the mozilla help page for same as the first result.  Here's a copy and paste of the pertinent section:

Moving between messages
Go to Mail Start Page Alt + Home
Scroll Down Current Message, then Go to Next Unread Message Space
Go to Next Message F
Go to Previous Message B
Go to Next Unread Message N
Go to Previous Unread Message P
Go to Next Unread Thread (and mark current thread as read) T
Go to Next Viewed Message ]
Go to Previous Viewed Message [

Robert Logue

Yes. n and p go to next and previous unread. f and b go to next and previous.

You might need to use pass through key in your screen reader.

There is a way to set up Jaws so you don't need to use pass key through but I haven't used Jaws for a while and don't remember the steps.

Bob

On 2018-12-01 3:10 p.m., Gerald Levy wrote:

I just started using Thunderbird myself, but I think pressing "N" and "p" go to the next and previous unread message, respectively.

Gerald

On 12/1/2018 5:00 PM, Peter Tesar wrote:

Hello,

My Inbox sometimes has an unread message somewhere amongst the read ones.

The only way to find it is to go through the Go menu

   alt plus g

   arrow right to open the next sub menu

   arrow down to select the next unread message

Is there a single hot key combination to speed up the process?

Thanks,

Peter T.

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Robert. Try CONTROL plus PERIOD. This sometimes works in some email programs.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

On 2018-12-01 3:10 p.m., Gerald Levy wrote:

I just started using Thunderbird myself, but I think pressing "N" and "p" go to the next and previous unread message, respectively.

Gerald

On 12/1/2018 5:00 PM, Peter Tesar wrote:

Hello,

My Inbox sometimes has an unread message somewhere amongst the read ones.

The only way to find it is to go through the Go menu

   alt plus g

   arrow right to open the next sub menu

   arrow down to select the next unread message

Is there a single hot key combination to speed up the process?

Thanks,

Peter T.

Robert Logue

Control plus period doesn't seem to work in Thunderbird.  I'll try it in other email programs.

On 2018-12-01 3:10 p.m., Gerald Levy wrote:

I just started using Thunderbird myself, but I think pressing "N" and "p" go to the next and previous unread message, respectively.

Gerald

On 12/1/2018 5:00 PM, Peter Tesar wrote:

Hello,

My Inbox sometimes has an unread message somewhere amongst the read ones.

The only way to find it is to go through the Go menu

   alt plus g

   arrow right to open the next sub menu

   arrow down to select the next unread message

Is there a single hot key combination to speed up the process?

Thanks,

Peter T.

A simple web search on "Thunderbird Keyboard Shortcuts" turns up Thunderbird Keyboard Shortcuts as the first result under several search engines.

In the Moving between messages section:  Go to next unread message      N        (which, by the way, is annoying because the command is case sensitive and should be lower case.  It is working whether I'm in the message list and wish to jump to the next unread message or have a reading tab open, in which case the next unread message replaces the one I'm currently looking at).

I don't have JAWS handy, but when NVDA is running these navigation commands for next and previous read and unread messages work just fine.  No pass-through key needed.