Google Docs & Moodle

clelands@...

I'm working to figure out the best option for a student who will be needing access to Google docs and Moodle in his classrooms.  I've read that Jaws now works with google docs -- is that correct?  And I can't find any information about moodle -- any experience with this?

I had a client who was a graduate student at an institution that used Moodle and we had no problem accessing it via JAWS.   We weren't using Google Drive directly, but I just did a really quick and dirty run through my own Google Drive using the Chrome browser and NVDA and it appears to be accessible.  Navigation behaved predictably, I could open folders, etc.
--
Brian

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.

~ William James

Marianne Denning

Yes, both work with JAWS but they can still be inaccessible depending on how they are used.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of clelands@...
Sent: Tuesday, October 4, 2016 10:31 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Google Docs & Moodle

I'm working to figure out the best option for a student who will be needing access to Google docs and Moodle in his classrooms.  I've read that Jaws now works with google docs -- is that correct?  And I can't find any information about moodle -- any experience with this?

Nathaniel Kile <heavens4real@...>

Hello Merrianne, I will try to ask one of the people from the Google team before we are done today or tomorrow and let you know.

On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 9:52 AM, Marianne Denning <marianne@...> wrote:

Yes, both work with JAWS but they can still be inaccessible depending on how they are used.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of clelands@...
Sent: Tuesday, October 4, 2016 10:31 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Google Docs & Moodle

I'm working to figure out the best option for a student who will be needing access to Google docs and Moodle in his classrooms.  I've read that Jaws now works with google docs -- is that correct?  And I can't find any information about moodle -- any experience with this?

On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 10:52 am, Marianne Denning wrote:

Marianne,

Could you please give a couple of specific examples of what you mean by "can still be inaccessible depending on how they're used."  I don't recall ever having an accessibility issue with Moodle.  There were issues with accessibility for a raft of old image scanned PDF documents that professors were distributing via Moodle, but that was a different issue altogether.  It could be that I never needed to "wander into" given areas of Moodle over the several years I worked intermittently with the client I'd mentioned, but I know we covered a lot of Moodle territory.

I haven't played enough with Google Docs using a screen reader to comment about its deeper recesses.

--
Brian

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.

~ William James