Topics

JAWS Scripts - Are they interpreted or compiled?

Hello All,

           I've got a client who had a one-line JAWS script written years ago for a specific application she uses, and JAWS used to work with it in conjunction with that tweak.  I cannot, however, get JAWS 2018 or JAWS 2019 to do so, and I think I'm missing a step somewhere.

           I had thought JAWS scripts were interpreted and loaded by JAWS at startup time, but that does not appear to be the case (unless I'm doing something else wrong).

           I figure someone here should be able to guide me about how to get a pre-existing script moved along to a newer version of JAWS.

Shan Noyes

No jaws scrips have to be compile Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 27, 2018, at 3:21 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

Hello All,

           I've got a client who had a one-line JAWS script written years ago for a specific application she uses, and JAWS used to work with it in conjunction with that tweak.  I cannot, however, get JAWS 2018 or JAWS 2019 to do so, and I think I'm missing a step somewhere.

           I had thought JAWS scripts were interpreted and loaded by JAWS at startup time, but that does not appear to be the case (unless I'm doing something else wrong).

           I figure someone here should be able to guide me about how to get a pre-existing script moved along to a newer version of JAWS.

Nermin

HI Brian,

you have to compile the corresponding script for it to work.
Bear in mind that the resulting .jsb file will hold the compiled copy of that particular script and is found in the JAWS user directory for the version under which it was previously compiled.

Regards,
Nermin

If anyone can point me to the instructions with regard to compiling JAWS scripts I would appreciate it.  I have never found the scripting documentation that I know of to be particularly useful.

Nermin

Hi Brian,

you basically press control+s once you’ve written up your script and wait for the compiler to finish or tell you if there are any errors in line x or argument y or whatever. You can add documentation to each script using control+d, and you can assign a shurtcut to something as well.
But I am no professional scripter by any means.

Regards,
Nermin

ratshtron

to compile a jaws script, you must have the
script file loaded and you simply save the script
with any changes with ctrl plus s. to save
without compiling you use ctrl plus w. hope this helps.

Legend has it that on Tuesday 11/27/2018 05:21 PM, Brian Vogel said:
If anyone can point me to the instructions with
regard to compiling JAWS scripts I would
appreciate it. I have never found the
scripting documentation that I know of to be particularly useful.--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 Â

  Explanations exist; they have existed for
all time; there is always a well-known solution
to every human problem — neat, plausible, andd wrong.

Mario

huh? please explain, or point me to an explanation so I understand.

I got the part about compiling after writing a script, but are you
saying the .jsb file does not save to the folder from where the .jss is
created?

you have to compile the corresponding script for it to work.
Bear in mind that the resulting .jsb file will hold the compiled copy of
that particular script and is found in the JAWS user directory for the
version under which it was previously compiled.
Regards,
Nermin

Thanks for the advice.  I hope I will be able to communicate this to my client, as this is a bit more than typical "end user" information.

Isaac <bigikemusic@...>

So, why would you save with out compiling?

to compile a jaws script, you must have the
script file loaded and you simply save the script
with any changes with ctrl plus s. to save
without compiling you use ctrl plus w. hope this helps.

Legend has it that on Tuesday 11/27/2018 05:21 PM, Brian Vogel said:
If anyone can point me to the instructions with
regard to compiling JAWS scripts I would
appreciate it. I have never found the
scripting documentation that I know of to be particularly useful.--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 Â

  Explanations exist; they have existed for
all time; there is always a well-known solution
to every human problem - neat, plausible, andd wrong.

Roger Newell

The script won't compile if there are syntax errors. Imagine that you
were working on a script but had to leave your computer for some
reason, but did not want to lose your work. You might be in the middle
of troubleshooting something by editing your script file, but not be
able to compile it because you might still be editing it.

So, why would you save with out compiling?
to compile a jaws script, you must have the
script file loaded and you simply save the script
with any changes with ctrl plus s. to save
without compiling you use ctrl plus w. hope this helps.

Legend has it that on Tuesday 11/27/2018 05:21 PM, Brian Vogel said:
If anyone can point me to the instructions with
regard to compiling JAWS scripts I would
appreciate it. I have never found the
scripting documentation that I know of to be particularly useful.--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 Â

  Explanations exist; they have existed for
all time; there is always a well-known solution
to every human problem - neat, plausible, andd wrong.

Matthew Horspool

Hi,

A few points to answer here:

  1. To compile a script: as others have said, CTRL+S is the magic keystroke. However, you need to be in the script manager to do this! To get to the Script Manager, press JAWSKey+0. If you do this from within the application for which the script was written and a JSS file for that application is present in the user's settings directory, the correct file should be loaded automatically. Simply ALT+F4 out of the Script Manager after you receive the compiler success message.
  2. Usually, the JSB (JAWS Script Binary) ends up in the same place as the JSS (JAWS Script Source). The same does not always apply, however, for JSD (JAWS Script Documentation), JSH (JAWS Script Header), JSM (JAWS Script Messages), JKM (JAWS Key Map), JCF (JAWS Configuration File), JDF (JAWS Dictionary File) and so on. This is because a file only ends up in the user's settings directory if it is changed from the default or otherwise put there. Usually a new JSB is created because the JSS has been modified, so both files end up in the user directory even when modifying stock scripts. However, if you are only modifying existing scripts and the documentation, keymap, etc has not required an update, the JSD file may never make it across.
  3. Save without compile is useful if something has gone wrong in your code which is causing the compiler to throw an error and you can't figure out what. In such a case, you may wish to sleep on the problem and come back to it next day.

HTH,

Matthew

So, why would you save with out compiling?

to compile a jaws script, you must have the

script file loaded and you simply save the script

with any changes with ctrl plus s. to save

without compiling you use ctrl plus w. hope this helps.

Legend has it that on Tuesday 11/27/2018 05:21 PM, Brian Vogel said:

>If anyone can point me to the instructions with

>regard to compiling JAWS scripts I would

>appreciate it.  I have never found the

>scripting documentation that I know of to be particularly useful.--

>Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 Â

>   Explanations exist; they have existed for

>all time; there is always a well-known solution

>to every human problem - neat, plausible, andd wrong.

>         ~ H.L. Mencken, AKA The Sage of Baltimore

Isaac <bigikemusic@...>

So, is the scripting language constently beeing updated, if errors are found, and if so, do you have to re-compile scripts with a new version of the script editor?  Also, what language are scripts written in, c, c+ e t c?

So, why would you save with out compiling?

to compile a jaws script, you must have the

script file loaded and you simply save the script

with any changes with ctrl plus s. to save

without compiling you use ctrl plus w. hope this helps.

Legend has it that on Tuesday 11/27/2018 05:21 PM, Brian Vogel said:

>If anyone can point me to the instructions with

>regard to compiling JAWS scripts I would

>appreciate it.  I have never found the

>scripting documentation that I know of to be particularly useful.--

>Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 Â

>   Explanations exist; they have existed for

>all time; there is always a well-known solution

>to every human problem - neat, plausible, andd wrong.

>         ~ H.L. Mencken, AKA The Sage of Baltimore

Roger Newell

You write your scripts in a scripting language that is proprietary to
JAWS and MAGic; it is not a programming language like C++, C# or
Python.

Freedom Scientific occasionally introduces new functions (a scripting
term, not a synonym for "features") to the Script Manager. They
ocasionally change how small things work. But it is very, very
unlikely that you would need to rewrite or recompile scripts for a
newer version of JAWS, particularly if they are small script files.

On 11/28/18, Isaac <bigikemusic@...> wrote:
So, is the scripting language constently beeing updated, if errors are
found, and if so, do you have to re-compile scripts with a new version of
the script editor? Also, what language are scripts written in, c, c+ e t
c?

So, why would you save with out compiling?

to compile a jaws script, you must have the

script file loaded and you simply save the script

with any changes with ctrl plus s. to save

without compiling you use ctrl plus w. hope this helps.

Legend has it that on Tuesday 11/27/2018 05:21 PM, Brian Vogel said:

>If anyone can point me to the instructions with

>regard to compiling JAWS scripts I would

>appreciate it. I have never found the

>scripting documentation that I know of to be particularly useful.--

>Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 Â

>Â Â Explanations exist; they have existed for

>all time; there is always a well-known solution

>to every human problem - neat, plausible, andd wrong.

>Â Â Â Â Â ~ H.L. Mencken, AKA The Sage of Baltimore

Tom <tomcat509@...>

Using: W10 64 bit and Jaws 2019.

Hi

I have experienced a problem with the punctuation  script since upgrading from Jaws 2018 to 2019.

Under 2018, the script could be run from anywhere on the system but since changing to 2019, the only place the script works is when it is run from the desktop.  If I am in a folder on another drive say, hitting shift control P, Jaws says, “unknown script call to”.

If I still wish to change the punctuation level then it is a trip back to the Desktop and try again.

Cheers

Tom

Roger Newell

I haven't heard of this particular script.

Just to verify, is this a third-party script for which you were
provided with the .jsb file? If so, please make sure you can locate
the file in the following location:
C:\Users\[YourUserDirectory]\AppData\Roaming\Freedom
Scientific\JAWS\2019\Settings\enu If you have the .jss and/or .jsh
file, you should probably show it to someone who knows how to read it
to verify that it's not calling on a particular script or function or
something that's been moved around in JAWS 2019.

On 11/28/18, Tom <tomcat509@...> wrote:
Using: W10 64 bit and Jaws 2019.

Hi

I have experienced a problem with the punctuation script since upgrading
from Jaws 2018 to 2019.

Under 2018, the script could be run from anywhere on the system but since
changing to 2019, the only place the script works is when it is run from
the
desktop. If I am in a folder on another drive say, hitting shift control
P,
Jaws says, "unknown script call to".

If I still wish to change the punctuation level then it is a trip back to
the Desktop and try again.

Cheers
Tom

Matthew Horspool

Hi,

Roger is basically correct. However, there is a precedent for needing to recompile scripts between JAWS versions on a very occasional basis. This memorably happened when upgrading from JAWS 4.5 to 5.0 and I believe a similar thing happened around the JAWS 17 cycle. The scripts don't need to be re-written, but the compiler/interpreter architecture has changed somehow, so old but still valid source code needs to be recompiled in the new binary format.

Matthew

You write your scripts in a scripting language that is proprietary to JAWS and MAGic; it is not a programming language like C++, C# or Python.

Freedom Scientific occasionally introduces new functions (a scripting term, not a synonym for "features") to the Script Manager. They ocasionally change how small things work. But it is very, very unlikely that you would need to rewrite or recompile scripts for a newer version of JAWS, particularly if they are small script files.

On 11/28/18, Isaac <bigikemusic@...> wrote:

> So, is the scripting language constently beeing updated, if errors are

> found, and if so, do you have to re-compile scripts with a new version

> of the script editor?  Also, what language are scripts written in, c,

> c+ e t c?

Mario

in regard to #2, that's what I want to understand. I am trying to figure
out how to implement the scripting method I developed for previous
versions of JAWS since version 11. now with 2018 and probably above, it
seems FS has changed how things are done in scripting. can someone help
if I email you offlist to explain further?

So, why would you save with out compiling?

to compile a jaws script, you must have the

script file loaded and you simply save the script

with any changes with ctrl plus s. to save

without compiling you use ctrl plus w. hope this helps.

Legend has it that on Tuesday 11/27/2018 05:21 PM, Brian Vogel said:

If anyone can point me to the instructions with

regard to compiling JAWS scripts I would

appreciate it. I have never found the

scripting documentation that I know of to be particularly useful.--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 Â

  Explanations exist; they have existed for

all time; there is always a well-known solution

to every human problem - neat, plausible, andd wrong.

JM Casey

I don’t know a ton about this, but…..

The scripts would be loaded at program startup, I believe, not JAWS startup. I think it’s quite picky about it as well; in order for the scripts to load automatically they have to share the same name as the programme’s main executable. So, a lot of things could potentially stop an old script from working. Do the earlier JAWS versions + script still work with the client’s application?

           I've got a client who had a one-line JAWS script written years ago for a specific application she uses, and JAWS used to work with it in conjunction with that tweak.  I cannot, however, get JAWS 2018 or JAWS 2019 to do so, and I think I'm missing a step somewhere.

           I had thought JAWS scripts were interpreted and loaded by JAWS at startup time, but that does not appear to be the case (unless I'm doing something else wrong).

           I figure someone here should be able to guide me about how to get a pre-existing script moved along to a newer version of JAWS.

Matthew Horspool

Hi Mario,

Ah, yes, I see. It's been quite a while since I've done any significant tinkering under the hood. I do know that some restructuring of settings went on not so long ago but I don't know the details. You could probably work them out, though, just by having a browse through your user settings folder and, if that fails, the shared settings folder.

Is this the extent of your trouble or are there more serious issues going on? I would say it should be OK to continue this thread on list as there may be others with this problem, but if a mod feels differently I will go with that.

Matthew