Muffled And Distorted Audio With Jaws On New Windows 10 Computer

Tom Behler

Hello, everyone.

I am in the process of setting up a new Windows 10 computer with Jaws 2018.

I hadn’t used the computer for a couple of days, and when I booted it up this evening, Jaws came up, but was rather distorted and crackly at times.

In other words, the audio simply isn’t as it should be.

I raised and lowered the speaker volume, but the overall Jaws sound is still distorted.

I only have the latest build of Jaws 2018 on this computer.

This computer has 16 gigabytes of RAM, and a new I7 processor, so I know there are plenty of resources to work with.

What am I doing wrong here, and how can I correct this issue?

Thank you!

Tom Behler

Pat Byrne

If nothing else has happened Tom, perhaps delete and reinstall JAWS.
Pat ByrneAt 06:59 PM 11/23/2018, you wrote:

Hello, everyone.

I am in the process of setting up a new Windows 10 computer with Jaws 2018.

I hadn't used the computer for a couple of days, and when I booted it up this evening, Jaws came up, but was rather distorted and crackly at times.

In other words, the audio simply isn't as it should be.

I raised and lowered the speaker volume, but the overall Jaws sound is still distorted.

I only have the latest build of Jaws 2018 on this computer.

This computer has 16 gigabytes of RAM, and a new I7 processor, so I know there are plenty of resources to work with.

What am I doing wrong here, and how can I correct this issue?

Thank you!

Tom Behler

Cristóbal

Before you do that, I would at least attend a system restore to a time before the problem popped up if nothing else works.

On Nov 23, 2018, at 5:30 PM, Pat Byrne <k9jau@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

If nothing else has happened Tom, perhaps delete and reinstall JAWS.
Pat ByrneAt 06:59 PM 11/23/2018, you wrote:
Hello, everyone.

I am in the process of setting up a new Windows 10 computer with Jaws 2018.

I hadn't used the computer for a couple of days, and when I booted it up this evening, Jaws came up, but was rather distorted and crackly at times.

In other words, the audio simply isn't as it should be.

I raised and lowered the speaker volume, but the overall Jaws sound is still distorted.

I only have the latest build of Jaws 2018 on this computer.

This computer has 16 gigabytes of RAM, and a new I7 processor, so I know there are plenty of resources to work with.

What am I doing wrong here, and how can I correct this issue?

Thank you!

Tom Behler

Mike B. <mike9902@...>

Hi Tom,

It's very possible that a Windows update played hell with the soundcard driver.  It seems like whenever Windows 10 does a big update this happens.  What soundcard is your computer running?
Take care.  Go Rams!
Sent from my iBarstool.
I type out everything I want to remember. That way instead of spending a lot of time trying to remember what it was, I spend the time looking for where I saved it!

I am in the process of setting up a new Windows 10 computer with Jaws 2018.

I hadn’t used the computer for a couple of days, and when I booted it up this evening, Jaws came up, but was rather distorted and crackly at times.

In other words, the audio simply isn’t as it should be.

I raised and lowered the speaker volume, but the overall Jaws sound is still distorted.

I only have the latest build of Jaws 2018 on this computer.

This computer has 16 gigabytes of RAM, and a new I7 processor, so I know there are plenty of resources to work with.

What am I doing wrong here, and how can I correct this issue?

Thank you!

Tom Behler

Marty Hutchings

Tom,  How is the sound for other aps or music?

Love in Christ
Marty

I am in the process of setting up a new Windows 10 computer with Jaws 2018.

I hadn’t used the computer for a couple of days, and when I booted it up this evening, Jaws came up, but was rather distorted and crackly at times.

In other words, the audio simply isn’t as it should be.

I raised and lowered the speaker volume, but the overall Jaws sound is still distorted.

I only have the latest build of Jaws 2018 on this computer.

This computer has 16 gigabytes of RAM, and a new I7 processor, so I know there are plenty of resources to work with.

What am I doing wrong here, and how can I correct this issue?

Thank you!

Tom Behler

Tom Behler

Pat:

I've considered this step, and may do it if the problem persists.

Interestingly, I shut down and re-booted the computer twice, and the sound
got better.

Very strange; have nevrer experienced this issue in my 20 years of using
Jaws with windows.

Tom Behler

[...]

I’m using the default sound card that came with the computer;  I believe it’s a Realtech sound card.

Tom behler

I am in the process of setting up a new Windows 10 computer with Jaws 2018.

I hadn’t used the computer for a couple of days, and when I booted it up this evening, Jaws came up, but was rather distorted and crackly at times.

In other words, the audio simply isn’t as it should be.

I raised and lowered the speaker volume, but the overall Jaws sound is still distorted.

I only have the latest build of Jaws 2018 on this computer.

This computer has 16 gigabytes of RAM, and a new I7 processor, so I know there are plenty of resources to work with.

What am I doing wrong here, and how can I correct this issue?

Thank you!

Tom Behler

Tom Behler

Well, the windows startup sound, and other sounds were garbled too, at least initially.

Tom Behler

Tom,  How is the sound for other aps or music?

Love in Christ
Marty

I am in the process of setting up a new Windows 10 computer with Jaws 2018.

I hadn’t used the computer for a couple of days, and when I booted it up this evening, Jaws came up, but was rather distorted and crackly at times.

In other words, the audio simply isn’t as it should be.

I raised and lowered the speaker volume, but the overall Jaws sound is still distorted.

I only have the latest build of Jaws 2018 on this computer.

This computer has 16 gigabytes of RAM, and a new I7 processor, so I know there are plenty of resources to work with.

What am I doing wrong here, and how can I correct this issue?

Thank you!

Tom Behler

Marty Hutchings

That would tell me that it is not JAWS then.  You have to look at the sound card, card drivers or the speakers them selves.

Love in Christ
Marty

[...]

To check to see if the RealTek drivers have been screwed up by an update you can try the following to see if all the sound effects and the equalizer is still installed.  Here's how to check to see if the equalizer is installed.  I've done this with both Windows 10 & 7 systems running Jaws 16 thru J2019.
1. Go into the Control Panel / Sounds Link / Playback tab, arrow up or down to highlight the RealTek soundcard.
2. Tab to, Properties, press the spacebar to open.
3. Control + Tab to the, Enhancements, tab / page.  In here you should have 6 items.  Only Equalizer should be checked.  This enables the sound effects.
If this isn't there you will need to get the RealTek package for your computer from Dell.

Also, if you don't have this Enhancements tab / page this means that your RealTek soundcard could have possibly been screwed up via an update and reinstalling the driver package will take care of your sound problems.  On the other hand if it's there then there are other settings that need to be looked at.  Let us know what you find.

[...]

Is it the same issue with headphones on? Other audio files or sources? Have you tried a different synth? System restore?

Cristóbal

I’m using the default sound card that came with the computer;  I believe it’s a Realtech sound card.

Tom behler

I am in the process of setting up a new Windows 10 computer with Jaws 2018.

I hadn’t used the computer for a couple of days, and when I booted it up this evening, Jaws came up, but was rather distorted and crackly at times.

In other words, the audio simply isn’t as it should be.

I raised and lowered the speaker volume, but the overall Jaws sound is still distorted.

I only have the latest build of Jaws 2018 on this computer.

This computer has 16 gigabytes of RAM, and a new I7 processor, so I know there are plenty of resources to work with.

What am I doing wrong here, and how can I correct this issue?

Thank you!

Tom Behler

Kevin Meyers <kevinmeyers@...>

What built is on the PC?

I am in the process of setting up a new Windows 10 computer with Jaws 2018.

I hadn’t used the computer for a couple of days, and when I booted it up this evening, Jaws came up, but was rather distorted and crackly at times.

In other words, the audio simply isn’t as it should be.

I raised and lowered the speaker volume, but the overall Jaws sound is still distorted.

I only have the latest build of Jaws 2018 on this computer.

This computer has 16 gigabytes of RAM, and a new I7 processor, so I know there are plenty of resources to work with.

What am I doing wrong here, and how can I correct this issue?

Thank you!

Tom Behler

Kimber Gardner

Hi,

Strangely, I had this very same thing happen to me on a brand new
windows 10 laptop I just received a few days ago.

I installed jaws 2019 and all was well until I installed iTunes. After
the iTunes installation finished, eloquence (my synth of choice)
sounded terrible like someone had wrapped the soundcard in cotton. I
uninstalled jaws and reinstalled but with no better results. What did
finally solve the issue was installing the high quality vocalizer
voices for Tom and Zoey. It didn't fix eloquence, but Tom and Zoey
sound just fine. So until I get a more satisfactory answer as to what
caused the problem to start, I will be using Zoey.

Kim

What built is on the PC?

--
Kimberly

Tom Behler

Well, I re-booted my computer this morning, and Jaws was no longer muffled or distorted.

So, I wonder if it was some sort of a temporary sound driver issue from a recent Windows 10 update, as a few others have suggested.

Will keep monitoring the situation here, and hope that it was just a temporary issue.

Tom Behler

[...]

Thank you for these instructions.

I have saved them for future reference if needed, since I realize that sometimes these sorts of issues can re-appear without notice.

Tom Behler

I’m using the default sound card that came with the computer;  I believe it’s a Realtech sound card.

Tom behler

I am in the process of setting up a new Windows 10 computer with Jaws 2018.

I hadn’t used the computer for a couple of days, and when I booted it up this evening, Jaws came up, but was rather distorted and crackly at times.

In other words, the audio simply isn’t as it should be.

I raised and lowered the speaker volume, but the overall Jaws sound is still distorted.

I only have the latest build of Jaws 2018 on this computer.

This computer has 16 gigabytes of RAM, and a new I7 processor, so I know there are plenty of resources to work with.

What am I doing wrong here, and how can I correct this issue?

Thank you!

Tom Behler

Tom Behler

The latest build of Jaws 2018 that came out late last week.

Tom Behler

I am in the process of setting up a new Windows 10 computer with Jaws 2018.

I hadn’t used the computer for a couple of days, and when I booted it up this evening, Jaws came up, but was rather distorted and crackly at times.

In other words, the audio simply isn’t as it should be.

I raised and lowered the speaker volume, but the overall Jaws sound is still distorted.

I only have the latest build of Jaws 2018 on this computer.

This computer has 16 gigabytes of RAM, and a new I7 processor, so I know there are plenty of resources to work with.

What am I doing wrong here, and how can I correct this issue?

Thank you!

Tom Behler

Pat Byrne

Congrats Tom. I always reboot before I begin getting crazy!!
Pat ByrneAt 10:14 AM 11/24/2018, you wrote:

[...]

Melissa Stott <mstott69@...>

Glad all is working.  Rebooting can be a wonderful thing sometimes.  LOL

Melissa

Congrats Tom.  I always reboot before I begin getting crazy!!

Pat ByrneAt 10:14 AM 11/24/2018, you wrote:

>Well, I re-booted my computer this morning, and

>Jaws was no longer muffled or distorted.

>So, I wonder if it was some sort of a temporary

>sound driver issue from a recent Windows 10

>update, as a few others have suggested.

>Will keep monitoring the situation here, and

>hope that it was just a temporary issue.

>Tom Behler

Ben Humphreys <brhbrhbrh@...>

Hi tom,

Hav you tried disabling all "sound effects" and "Dolby Audio?"

In Windows:
1. Win+R for run
2. enter MMSYS.CPL for the sound card setup
3. Select the audio device, such as "Realtek High Definition Audio"
4. Tabl to Properties button and click
5. Use Ctrl PgDn to move to the "Enhancements" tab and "Dolby Audio" tab to disable those effects

Hope this helps,

Ben

At 07:59 PM 11/23/2018, you wrote:
Hello, everyone.

I am in the process of setting up a new Windows 10 computer with Jaws 2018.

I hadn't used the computer for a couple of days, and when I booted it up this evening, Jaws came up, but was rather distorted and crackly at times.

In other words, the audio simply isn't as it should be.

I raised and lowered the speaker volume, but the overall Jaws sound is still distorted.

I only have the latest build of Jaws 2018 on this computer.

This computer has 16 gigabytes of RAM, and a new I7 processor, so I know there are plenty of resources to work with.

What am I doing wrong here, and how can I correct this issue?

Thank you!

Tom Behler

Tom Behler

Ben:

I have not tried this because the problem seems to have corrected itself.

Will keep this in mind, though, if the problem recurs.

Tom Behler